PDA

View Full Version : Make your own cup chuck

Tiger
1st June 2006, 09:25 PM
I was reading Richard Raffan's Turning wood book where he mentions that you can make a cup chuck by welding some pipe onto a nut that matches the thread on your headstock spindle. That sounds easy enough, but how would you guarantee that it ran true? The slightest misalignment or distortion would mean you've got a wayward pipe rotating at great speed. Have I missed something here?

rsser
1st June 2006, 09:28 PM
Describe what a cup chuck is Tiger.

There's prob more than one way of mounting it.

Tiger
1st June 2006, 09:41 PM
As I understand it a cup chuck is a hollow bit of steel whereupon a workpiece is roughed b/w centres so that it will fit snugly into it. A mallet is usually used to seat the workpiece into it. They are not used much these days but older books mention it and I was curious about what Raffan said about it.

RETIRED
1st June 2006, 09:45 PM
Generally trued after welding on a metal lathe by your pet engineer.

Every turner should have a pet engineer.:D

rsser
1st June 2006, 09:51 PM
Yeah, been looking for one. Any tips for one in Melb PM me. Otherwise it's down to the RSPCA. [Edit: , looking for someone to make a hinged chuck holder that will allow me to mount the chuck via a pivot arm/toolpost shank to the banjo, so as to do some carving.]

So Tiger, if you have a scroll chuck, why not turn one out of a dense timber?

Tiger
1st June 2006, 09:57 PM
Generally trued after welding on a metal lathe by your pet engineer.

Every turner should have a pet engineer.:D

That's what I thought. I'm looking at the reference in Raffan's book now. All he says is "if you're handy with a welder, you can easily make your own". You'd have to be ****** handy to get something that ran true enough not to require machining.

RETIRED
1st June 2006, 10:31 PM
As long as it fairly close it really does not matter if it is true. The timber being wacked into it will generally move a bit so as long as the chuck holds it tightly you true the timber.

I used them quite a bit about 30 years ago but then came the scroll chuck (had metal turning 3and 4 jaws) and they now gather rust and dust but for some jobs still handy I s'pose.

RSSER. Not quite sure what you mean but I can probably make it for you.

RETIRED
1st June 2006, 10:33 PM
PS: I think I know what you are after Ern but just need confirmation.;)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st June 2006, 10:37 PM
I've found that cup chucks are like jam chucks... if you distinguish between the two. You end up wanting a different size for damned near every item you make. Even if you cut splines, etc. to make 'em adjustable. (As in a spring chuck)

Unless you're doing production turning or have a very patient engineer mate with tonnes of asstd. dia. pipes, turning 'em up on a faceplate as needed is much more practical...

Tiger
1st June 2006, 10:50 PM
As long as it fairly close it really does not matter if it is true. The timber being wacked into it will generally move a bit so as long as the chuck holds it tightly you true the timber.

Thanks, , that clears that up and Skew I expect that what you say is correct. I would only go to the trouble if I had a small production line going on. I was interested as I have plenty of pipe lying around and the nuts are only about 5$ each.

rodent
2nd June 2006, 03:04 AM
turn a block of red gum or other hard wood so it fits snugly in the pipe .Then put the nut on your lathe ,you can now put your tail stock into the end of the wood . you apply supply suficient pressure to the nut so its alligned . ps its best too sholder the wood so it can press up against the tube .

Hambone
2nd June 2006, 04:45 PM
Hi All,
About 15 years ago I made a "cup chuck" to hold 3/8" square pieces of wood to turn lace bobbins .On my small metal lathe I turned a No 1 morse taper with a spigot to fit neatley inside of the nut end of a 3/8" socket spanner.Fitted the taper into my small Carbetec lathe pushed the socket onto the spigot turned the lathe by hand trueing up the socket then tack welded it with the electric welder .This worked perfectly for years until I upgraded to my little Jet lathe .It only requires a bit of thought and you can make just about any thing .If you say "I couldn't do that" then you are defeated yourself from the start and you may as well go and play tiddly winks

hughie
2nd June 2006, 05:06 PM
looking for someone to make a hinged chuck holder that will allow me to mount the chuck via a pivot arm/toolpost shank to the banjo, so as to do some carving.]

Ern theres a guy that makes them in Newcastle, dunno his name maybe some one from up there can help. I have seen one in action very simple to make. See If I can dig up a piccy. hughie

chrisb691
6th June 2006, 10:24 PM
Yeah, been looking for one. Any tips for one in Melb PM me. Otherwise it's down to the RSPCA. [Edit: , looking for someone to make a hinged chuck holder that will allow me to mount the chuck via a pivot arm/toolpost shank to the banjo, so as to do some carving.]

So Tiger, if you have a scroll chuck, why not turn one out of a dense timber?

Cup chuck / face plate combo currently on ebay at

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/COMBINATION-CUP-CHUCK-AND-FACE-PLATE-1-10-TPI-RH_W0QQitemZ7622913370QQcategoryZ11705QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

hughie
7th June 2006, 01:29 AM
Tiger have a chat to Gil Jones he has a whole lot of info and most likely can help you with what your after. I have found him most helpful.

hughie

Gil Jones
7th June 2006, 03:05 AM
Not my idea, but looks like it would work well. Maybe some tape on the clamp to make it safer in use.

Tiger
7th June 2006, 08:35 AM
Hi Gil,

These wooden chucks are ok except that it's sometimes hard to get in with a skew chisel as the clamp is so close to the workpiece. I find it better to cut a recess for the clamp and even then it's a good idea to have tape or rubber around the clamp so that you avoid sore knuckles:( .