PDA

View Full Version : Incredible segmented work

Toasty
2nd June 2006, 08:32 AM
Shamelessly lifted from the woodnet forums is the link to this site (http://www.budlatven.com/sculpture/index.htm). Just amazing work but wait till you see the price tag!!!

:eek:

hughie
2nd June 2006, 10:56 AM
Shamelessly lifted from the woodnet forums is the link to this site (http://www.budlatven.com/sculpture/index.htm). Just amazing work but wait till you see the price tag!!!

Toasty, but you cant live on it.......:D :D :D

hughie

TK1
2nd June 2006, 11:18 AM
Fantastic stuff.

More amazing than the price tags are the fact many of them are actually SOLD! :eek: :eek:

I'm sure there is some justification in the fact they're "art" / scupltures, and more effort went into each one than the pate knife it quickly whipped up last night :p ...but still, pricey stuff!! Even a 3" tall/round mini vase is $500 USD.

How many turners out here command that sort of price I wonder?

Regards,
Darren

Mikko
2nd June 2006, 04:01 PM
I'm very happy to hear he is making good money with these fantastic pieces!

I have seen lot of his work in books and it seems many US based art collectors like his style too.

"How many turners out here command that sort of price I wonder?"
How many turners here can make such vessels? ;)

Take a look at the boxes made by Hans Weissflog. Tiny with a huge pricetag. He sells more he can turn.

I think when you manage to create something that makes people go "WOW!!" instead of "What a solid looking salad bowl." you can start asking more for the pieces. When you start having these pieces in collections of museums and galleries, you would be stupid not to ask more for your work.

Average work = average pricetag
Gallery quality work = gallery pricetag

Cheers,
Mikko

ss_11000
2nd June 2006, 04:48 PM
awesome pics, thanx for posting the links.

ps. i wish my work was that good

TK1
2nd June 2006, 05:00 PM
Mikko, not begrudging him making a decent price off his pieces, just wondering about the local market and chances of turners (or other woodwork artists / cabinetmakers) out here commanding those sorts of prices. I'm sure some do, but from what I've seen there's some great stuff here struggling to be sold at 'break-even' prices.

I couldn't download the document but he apparently does workshops - that would be great, seeing him in action. I imagine his chisels are of almost mystical sharpness...! And he's probably got a fair pile of rejects from the learning stage.

Regards,
Darren

Mikko
2nd June 2006, 05:18 PM
Sorry if I sounded edgy.....did not mean to.

There are very few turners in US /anywhere really) making that sort of money per piece.
Bud Latven has managed to come up with a very artistic and distinctive turning style. I think that is the key to success as an artisan (any craft).

I think that US has the best market for this kind of work.
There are many private collections and even more public/corporate collections with a buck to spend.

He clearly did not wish to take the "salad bowl maker" route. :D
In his field of "artistic turning" marketing is all as these pieces do not have any functional purpose.

I find his career extremely inspiring.

Cheers,
Mikko

Auld Bassoon
2nd June 2006, 07:47 PM
Exactly so Mikko; well put!

TK1
2nd June 2006, 09:00 PM
No worries Mikko, you didn't sound edgy...I was more defending my comments than responding to yous :o

I think we'd all love to be able to make stuff like this and command those sort of proices...inspirational as has been said, and pity Aussie collectors don't value some of the output from Oz this much.

Regards,
Darren