PDA

View Full Version : MY lathe

Jenny Brandis
4th June 2006, 03:04 AM
Well folks, if you have been following my sporatic attempts at lathe work you would be aware that I have been pushing for my own lathe.

It is on its way! With luck and good trucking I should have it on Wednesday this week, bad trucking will mean it will be the Wednesday after so all of you need to talk to Hughie about the weather and keep it fine until the lathe gets here.

In the meantime I shall try to be patient ;)

Wild Dingo
4th June 2006, 03:54 AM
What you getting Jen? Which one you settle for? SHOW US DA PICS WOMAN!!! :cool: gawd these flamin troppo Norwester people who tease!! :rolleyes: :D

hughie
4th June 2006, 10:07 AM
need to talk to Hughie about the weather and keep it fine until the lathe gets here.

Hi Jenny,

I can fix a wobbly headstock, dunno bout the weather tho!

hughie

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th June 2006, 02:05 PM
http://www.ubeaut.biz/approval.gifhttp://www.ubeaut.biz/approval.gif:D

CameronPotter
5th June 2006, 11:07 AM
Good to hear Jenny! :D

lubbing5cherubs
7th June 2006, 08:40 PM
It is on its way! With luck and good trucking I should have it on Wednesday this week, bad trucking will mean it will be the Wednesday after so all of you need to talk to Hughie about the weather and keep it fine until the lathe gets here.

In the meantime I shall try to be patient ;)

Did you get your new toy today?
Toni:D

Jenny Brandis
8th June 2006, 01:23 AM
Did you get your new toy today?
Toni:D

Yep, you should have seen the burnout down the drive as I raced off to pick it up :)

Now the proud owner of a Jet mini lathe, scroll chuck and pin jaws. Have to get better at turning - I have no excuse now.

La truciolara
8th June 2006, 04:30 AM
Did you get it?
many shavings already? :)

lubbing5cherubs
8th June 2006, 08:54 AM
Yep, you should have seen the burnout down the drive as I raced off to pick it up :)

Now the proud owner of a Jet mini lathe, scroll chuck and pin jaws. Have to get better at turning - I have no excuse now.

Way to go Jenny. It a great day to get it after it arrives. I had a week wait on mine and the day I got it was so excited my kids were even saying AAAAWWWWeeeee Mum. I had not been so excited about anything in so long and I still get excited when I get a chance to use it
bye Toni

aljenit
8th June 2006, 01:04 PM
well done:p .Let the pleasure and pain of turning begin. Some beautiful WA timber is waiting for those chuck jaws. Good luck and look forward to pics of the products of your labour.

lubbing5cherubs
11th June 2006, 12:25 PM
What have you been making?
Toni

Jenny Brandis
11th June 2006, 07:58 PM
Lets see now,

made some lace bobbins ( 3 snowmen, 2 father christmas and 2 others) made 4 pendants (shaped like the bottle from I Dream of Jeannie) from acrylic.

got rather disheartened when I found that the lace bobbin blanks I have are too small for the nova chuck - even with the pin jaws. So I have gone back to using the plain standard stuff that came with the lathe to hold the bobbins.

turned 3 more mushrooms (the front three) and had a girlfriend spoil it for me by referring to them as phalic!

Quick question, the lathe is just sitting on the bench - should it be bolted down?

Now, off to paint the snowmen/daddyxmas's.

dazzler
11th June 2006, 08:17 PM
Lace Bobbins:confused:

Thems willies

Big willies
:)

Little willies
:(

Freaky willies
:D

Nice willies
:p

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th June 2006, 08:25 PM
made some lace bobbins ( 3 snowmen, 2 father christmas and 2 others) made 4 pendants (shaped like the bottle from I Dream of Jeannie) from acrylic.

Good stuff! :)

got rather disheartened when I found that the lace bobbin blanks I have are too small for the nova chuck - even with the pin jaws. So I have gone back to using the plain standard stuff that came with the lathe to hold the bobbins.

What size are your blanks? I use 5 to 7mm square and my pinjaws work fine. Just. One thing you can do is mount a smallish offcut in the jaws and turn a tapered conical hole into the middle of it. Just big enough to take the end of your blank and with enough of a taper that the blank will "wedge in" with a bit of force. It'll still need tailstock support and won't grip the piece as well as a scroll-chuck, but with a light touch on the tools it's a perfectly workable method.

I used similar on a faceplate before I bought my first chuck. :)

Quick question, the lathe is just sitting on the bench - should it be bolted down?

If there's any likelihood you'll be turning larger, off-balance blanks (for bowls, etc.) then you should bolt it down purely to be safe. So long as you're only turning the smaller items (pens, bobbins and the like) there's no need. It can be an advantage not bolting it down, in that it's easier to move around and clean up under.

lubbing5cherubs
11th June 2006, 08:27 PM
Lets see now,

Now, off to paint the snowmen/daddyxmas's.

Great job you been doing well.
My lathe is not bolted down and it did good
bye Toni

bdar
11th June 2006, 11:53 PM
Hi Jenny, good to here the lathe arrived. I can't remember where I saw the article but a person was using a socket set socket on the adaptor arm and was holding it in his jacobs to hold small pieces of timber. He got someone to turn the shaft on a metal lathe so it would fit in the chuck but it seemed to do the job.
Darren

Jenny Brandis
12th June 2006, 12:20 AM
These are the lace bobbins done so far - much better lathe work than brush work :):):)

lubbing5cherubs
12th June 2006, 12:28 AM
Jenny they are awesome what do you do with Lace bobbins though?
Toni

Jenny Brandis
12th June 2006, 12:41 AM
Smart answer - make lace.
Real answer - make lace :)

I have attached a photo of some being used as well as two of lace I have made.

check out my lace pages if you are interested

www.brandis.com.au/crafts/lace.html

lubbing5cherubs
12th June 2006, 12:50 AM
Wow I went to your website. You are so gifted. It takes a lot of bobbins to make your lace doesn't it?
Toni

Gil Jones
12th June 2006, 03:21 AM
Jenny, fine looking bobbins, and beautiful lace!!

Stuart
12th June 2006, 09:22 AM
How do you jump straight in and get work looking like that? Very impressive (I hope you've had previous turning experience, otherwise I'm going to feel real bad :) )

Where did you even come up with the idea of the mushrooms- wouldn't ever have thought of that. Love the natural edge.

As to gripping very fine work - I have used a drill chuck secured in the lathe chuck- allows very (very!) thin stock to be held. (Not tried, but it can be down to 1mm diameter - not sure if that is turnable, but then I have some vague memory of seeing a minature cricket set that would be that sort of size! A jet mini lathe would be just the ticket for making minatures).

Nice work!

Jenny Brandis
12th June 2006, 11:53 AM
How do you jump straight in and get work looking like that? Very impressive (I hope you've had previous turning experience, otherwise I'm going to feel real bad :) )

Where did you even come up with the idea of the mushrooms- wouldn't ever have thought of that. Love the natural edge.

As to gripping very fine work - I have used a drill chuck secured in the lathe chuck- allows very (very!) thin stock to be held. (Not tried, but it can be down to 1mm diameter - not sure if that is turnable, but then I have some vague memory of seeing a minature cricket set that would be that sort of size! A jet mini lathe would be just the ticket for making minatures).

Nice work!

In April 2005 I asked here for advice on what sort of lathe to buy my DH so that he could make me some bobbins.
In June I made my first turned piece (see http://www.brandis.com.au/craft/lace/june2005.html )
In July I had done some more (see http://www.brandis.com.au/craft/lace/bobbins.html )
Between then and now I have has little access to the lathe - hense buying myself the mini.;)

The mushroom idea was found on the net at http://aroundthewoods.com/project.shtml although his are much more consistant dimentions :)

I have tried using the jacobs chuck but found that it kept walking out of the morse taper unless I used the tailstock to hold the other end of the work. As I was trying to get the other end to a point ...

I would like to make a full set of bobbins (200) in Indian Ebony but am having trouble sourcing the blanks, it seems that of all the woods for me to choose, that is the hardest to come by.

Stuart
12th June 2006, 11:56 AM
Off the top of my head, have a chat to Terry Gordon, as he uses ebony a lot in his handplanes. He might be able to point you to a good source.

www.hntgordon.com.au