PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Ruffly!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th June 2006, 02:45 PM
I said I would and here 'tis. It has taken longer than expected but you wouldn't believe how weird things have been here lately. Anyways, I'm no box-maker and precise it isn't... but I think I managed 'pretty.'

Red-gum & pittosperum with jarrah keys; apart from the jarrah all were sprouting leaves in the back yard a mere 6 months ago. Oh... and there's a bit of MDF in there somewhere. :o It only has first coat of finish at the mo, needs a bit more work. Finished by the end of this week, I'd say. (Reality intrudes. [shrug])

If you still want, PM me postal details. Quickly, before it's snaffled by grasping fingers down here. :rolleyes:

ss_11000
4th June 2006, 02:50 PM
nice work skew....bit of a change from goblets.

Groggy
4th June 2006, 02:51 PM
nice job there Skew!

Wardy
4th June 2006, 03:11 PM
great effort skew,keep the good work coming
Cheers Wardy

Bodgy
4th June 2006, 03:20 PM
Looks good Skew, but I thought you only did round stuff?

Wood Butcher
4th June 2006, 03:56 PM
Great Work Skew!!!

BobR
4th June 2006, 08:31 PM
Looks good from here Skew.

Sculptured Box
4th June 2006, 09:30 PM
Why give it away, this work is a good candidate for any box making competition - well done.

Tony Ward

AlexS
4th June 2006, 10:06 PM
Good result Skew, just shows you can turn your hand to anything (boom boom).

TTIT
4th June 2006, 11:44 PM
If I put on a little red pixie outfit, do I get one too Skew??? Damned nice box mate!;)

Harry72
5th June 2006, 12:36 AM
Very nice Skewed one... can I have the bits of wood the box is sitting on?

RufflyRustic
5th June 2006, 09:24 AM
Oh Skew!!!! http://www.ubeaut.biz/1luvu.gif

zenwood
5th June 2006, 10:50 AM
I like that box Skew: a bold design that works.

Just by-the-by: if you ever have a problem with small gaps showing on mitre joints, I read an interesting tip in one of Tage Frid's books. The pic shows the idea: a few strokes with a smooth round hard cylinder, like a screwdriver shaft, will sometimes bend the wood fibres just enough to close the gap. Of course, I've never used the technique myself . . .:rolleyes:

CameronPotter
5th June 2006, 11:38 AM
Nice box Skew and nice tip Zen! :D

Cam

chrisb691
5th June 2006, 08:43 PM
Skew, you should be ashamed of yourself. Fancy trying to offload an inferior box like that onto Ruffly. Send it to me and I'll do you a favour, and dispose of it properly for you. You can then make Ruffly a proper box.

Okay I admit it..............I'm jealous. :D Well done.

RufflyRustic
5th June 2006, 09:40 PM
.... and I'm still kinda speechless....... and in awe ....... and oh so do not want that picture in my head TTIT :D Anyway, back to being speechless ... and in awe..... and last but not least, humbled and .....
:o

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th June 2006, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the kind words folks. I'll confess that certain techniques and elements of it's construction were shamelessly pilfered from other threads. eg. I think 'twas the Major who did a WIP on making the feet? Maybe not, but whoever 'twas... a belated thank you. :D Similarly, the finger hinges from another thread also made a brief appearance, until someone screwed up. :o One lid, exit stage left...

Just by-the-by: if you ever have a problem with small gaps showing on mitre joints, I read an interesting tip in one of Tage Frid's books. The pic shows the idea: a few strokes with a smooth round hard cylinder, like a screwdriver shaft, will sometimes bend the wood fibres just enough to close the gap. Of course, I've never used the technique myself . . .:rolleyes:

Noted and carefully filed. Wish I'd heard of it about a week ago... it would've been put to the test. (Is it that obvious in those pix? Damn! I thought I'd photoshopped 'em better than that... ;) )

Very nice Skewed one... can I have the bits of wood the box is sitting on?

They're just cheap'n'nasty Bunnies Red Rivergum garden sleepers. From memory, $18 ea. Mind you, I do go down and spend half the day picking over their pallets when selecting the 4 or 5 that will get to come home with me. That particular pair has been sitting there for about 2 years now; another year and they've a date with my bandsaw. So, sorry. They can't come out to play just yet. :)

Oh... TTIT? It was just a case of being asked when I was in the right mood. The red suit had nothing to do with it. Really! http://www.ubeaut.biz/liar.gif