PDA

View Full Version : Polymer Clay Pen

Naf
4th June 2006, 03:48 PM
I just finished turning this polymer clay pen. I was looking in "Turning Pens and Pencils" by Kip Christensen & Rex Birmingham, and thought I'd give it a go. I need a little more fine tuning on the next attempt, there's a few small gaps between the two colors in the jam rolls, and a little squashed at one end.
The clay in Sculpey Clay, the design is from there website where they covered a normal biro with the same design.

Wood Butcher
4th June 2006, 03:54 PM
Very interesting Naf, I would love to hear more about how you did it.

Lovely work!

Nineteen 45
5th June 2006, 05:16 AM
That turned out pretty good, is this your first polymer pen? I have that same book just getting everything set up to start turning.

Pity my oven doesn't work or I'd try polymer as well, unless you can put that stuff under the grill? :D

Steven

CameronPotter
5th June 2006, 10:33 AM
Very nice work!

Cam

Naf
5th June 2006, 08:02 PM
Thanks Guys.

Steven its the second one I've done, attached is a pic of the first one I made, same design but with Collingwood colors :) I didn't roll it enough after putting the pieces on the tubes, so theres a few gaps on it.

Here's the link for the process http://www.sculpey.com/Projects/projects_SwirledPenHolder.htm but instead of putting the pieces onto a pen I just put them onto 2 brass tubes. I made the slices a lot thicker than they have, and it would have to be the softest material to turn. I only turned it until it was perfectly round and then sanded my way down to final diameter, mainly because I was worried it would break on me, and then finished by wet sanding then EEE Ultra Shine.

ss_11000
5th June 2006, 09:55 PM
awesome stuff nathan

Sir Stinkalot
5th June 2006, 10:05 PM
Naf ....

I have read through your attached link but where are you buying the suff ..... I think I might want to give it a shot.

Naf
5th June 2006, 10:20 PM
Sir, I bought it from Spotlight and I've seen it in arts & craft supply shops. As you're in Geelong theres a store called Cavalier Art Supplies in town, see attachment for map. I got the Sculpey brand but I'm sure there are plenty of other brands, and over 50 colors. They are around $5.00 for a 56g block, depending on the size of the slices, you could get anywhere from 2 to 4 pens from 2 blocks. I'm going to do another couple with the 2 colors and then try a 3 color jam roll. There's countless variations you can try.

Nathan

Sir Stinkalot
5th June 2006, 10:46 PM
Thanks Naf,

I thought it may be available at spotlight ..... I will have to have a look.
I also know Cavalier well after spending many an hour there getting uni assignments printed. :D

What does it feel like when turned? It looks like a good long weekend project.

Cheers

Stinky.

Nineteen 45
5th June 2006, 11:28 PM
That's great naf, thanks for that site as well.

Steven

fxst
6th June 2006, 05:57 PM
looks like I'll be raiding the Mrs craft box :D :D
have a greenie Naf
Pete

Naf
6th June 2006, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the greenie Pete. Stinky, they are very smooth when wet sanded, the first one was dry sanded and the second (pink) was wet sanded, it has a high gloss to it aswell. They don't take very long to prepare, I have a 3 year old son (my avatar) so I just sat with him one evening and had some fun, he was happy, he thought it was just like play dough. With the baking, they say that your oven has to be exact in its temperature and the cooking time has to be accurate also, my oven is an electric one with a broken seal to match so I'm pretty sure my would be a fair way out but the 3 I've cooked have turned out ok so far, I still have to turn the 3rd yet. So as it is with the casting resin I think it's just a matter of having a go and seeing whats comes about. It would be good to see some original designs created besides the jam roll from the Sculpey site.
I look forward to seeing some weird and wonderful creations.

Nathan