PDA

View Full Version : What magazines do you turners read?

TimberNut
5th June 2006, 06:08 PM
I'm interested to know what magazines you turners favour?

Got a 1 year subscription to Australian Wood Review last year, and isn't bad, but turning's not heavily focused on.

Do you guys have any suggestions for decent mags, from here or OS (if i can subscribe from here) that don't cost the earth for 12 months ? One's that are more suited to a chippy with a passion for turning (as opposed to Cabinetmaking etc).

suggestions welcome

Ian

Cliff Rogers
5th June 2006, 07:20 PM
I get Woodturning.

http://www.thegmcgroup.com/item--Woodturning-Magazine--1005WT.html

Toasty
5th June 2006, 08:11 PM
I must confess to not renewing my Woodturning Magazine subscription. I mean it wasn't "bad" as such, and lots of projects with lots of pictures etc. Dunno, just didn't like a whole lot the way it was written, the editorials didn't grab me, and there seemed to be a bit too much "filler" in it for my liking.

Just my 2c's though. I wouldn't say don't get a subscription, but if you can buy an issue or two before you slap down your money for a sub. It could be money saved or money well spent :p

macca2
5th June 2006, 08:19 PM
I subscribe to
1. woodturning....england, good for turners
2. Australian wood reveiw. good allround woodworking mag
3. woodturning design...american..having real trouble getting it delivered..will not be renewing subs.

ss_11000
5th June 2006, 10:04 PM
thanx for posting this thread, i too am gonna find this helpful.
btw, i read the awr and i want to get the pommy turning mag but dont no of any others

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th June 2006, 12:37 AM
Personally, I don't bother with any mags as a rule. Not anymore, I'd rather put the pennies towards new tools. [shrug]

I will flip through 'em at the newsagent and IF there's something that intrigues me or covers a new (to me) area then it finds a new home in my bookcase... but I haven't bought one for some 12-18 months now. Since about the same time I joined these forums, as a matter of fact. :eek:

I do get some good, new ideas from mags but only have to see the picture once in the first place... I don't want to copy, just get inspiration for my own creations.

Gil Jones
6th June 2006, 05:08 AM
Subscribe to: 1) Woodturning Design, 2) American Woodturner [AAW].
I sometimes buy a copy of Woodturning, but only when I like an article in it, as it seems to be top-heavy with advertising.

hughie
6th June 2006, 09:57 AM
I will flip through 'em at the newsagent and IF there's something that intrigues me or covers a new (to me) area then it finds a new home in my bookcase... but I haven't bought one for some 12-18 months now. Since about the same time I joined these forums, as a matter of fact. :eek:

I am pretty well of the same mind as Skew. Between this forum and the net in general you can gain a great deal of info.
Making the need to spend $50-60AUD or whatever unnecessary. It is on the rare occasion that I will flip through a mag at the news agent usually to kill some time, waiting for SWMBO.

hughie

Cliff Rogers
6th June 2006, 10:56 AM
Mags still have there place...
IE: Dunnie, planes, buses, bed etc.

TTIT
6th June 2006, 02:36 PM
Pommy "Woodturning" was my tutor. Took me from scraping to slicing with a series they did on the use of all the different chisels. Still buy it for inspiration - always has some really nice pieces from all over the globe.:D
Also get AWR for general catch up on new ideas etc. :)

PS: Don't have time to hang around newsagents getting a free read!;)

Tornatus
6th June 2006, 10:28 PM
Don't have time to hang around newsagents getting a free read!;)

Isn't that what newsagents and bookstores are for? They're a lot easier to get to than libraries, and if you find any articles which interest you, just snap a photo with your miniature digital camera and print it out at home! :D

La truciolara
7th June 2006, 12:33 AM
Woodturning! An I love it.
I subscribde to "Woodturning design", but besides the fact that it arrives always late, I found it quite expensive for only 4 issues per year and stopped the subscription.
I'm thinking of American Woodturner (AAW)... May be that will be my next subsciption

RETIRED
7th June 2006, 08:30 PM
Isn't that what newsagents and bookstores are for? They're a lot easier to get to than libraries, and if you find any articles which interest you, just snap a photo with your miniature digital camera and print it out at home! :DHow sophisticated James. Ripping the page out is easier.;) :D

La truciolara
8th June 2006, 04:32 AM
Isn't that what newsagents and bookstores are for? They're a lot easier to get to than libraries, and if you find any articles which interest you, just snap a photo with your miniature digital camera and print it out at home! :D

Lucky you!
If you search all bookstores in Italy you will never find a single woodtunring magazine....:o :(

rsser
17th June 2006, 08:00 PM
Wot Toasty and Skew said.

Aust Wood Review have published a book of collected mag articles which is worth the shekels. Maybe they'll do another.