PDA

View Full Version : Sanding tree

TTIT
7th June 2006, 12:10 AM
I know this has probably been done a thousand different ways already but I always get a buzz out of saving something, however small, from the landfill.:D
I have all my chisels on a rack in front of me at the lathe and the other often used tools on a smaller rack below the headstock so that I rarely have to turn away from the lathe - UNTIL I start sanding!:mad: Got sick of turning around to the bench to my divided box full of sandpaper 100 times a day.

The clips are just pieces of palletizer banding cut 60mm long with a hole drilled one end to suit whatever bolt or brooker rod you can find (I used 5/16") and a bend on the other end about the width of my pliers. Cut some tubing into lengths about 30mm long for spacers (mine are only 24mm - a bit shortish). I thought I was using old copper water pipe until I hit it on the wire wheel - what a waste of brass pipe I didn't know I had!!!!!:eek: Being a molly-dooker, the hole my indexer pin bolts in to is just the right position for me but you could mount this anywhere convenient on your lathe or bench. Makes stepping through the grades so much easier than before.:D:D:D

hughie
7th June 2006, 01:48 AM
and an interesting idea, something I would have never thought of. Some lateral thinking, you can never get enough of it.
hughie

Gil Jones
7th June 2006, 02:05 AM
TTIT, thanks!, that is a pretty cool organizer. I presume that the finest abrasives are on top. I would not want to be sanding along at 600 grit, and have a huge scratch appear from a grain of 150 grit that fell down onto the 600 papers.

RufflyRustic
7th June 2006, 09:19 AM
What a brilliant idea!!!!!

Cheers
Wendy

TTIT
7th June 2006, 09:58 AM
TTIT, thanks!, that is a pretty cool organizer. I presume that the finest abrasives are on top. I would not want to be sanding along at 600 grit, and have a huge scratch appear from a grain of 150 grit that fell down onto the 600 papers.

Believe it or not, I did actually think of that:D From the top down - 1200, 800, 600, 400, 320, 240, 180, 120. (I can't get any 1000 at the moment and don't normally use 180.)

ptc
7th June 2006, 11:42 AM
That's a wonderfull bit of lateral thinking.
have to give you a greenie here.

CameronPotter
7th June 2006, 04:21 PM
Nice idea! Thanks for sharing.

Caveman
7th June 2006, 06:12 PM
Great idea TTIT - as said before, thanks for sharing it.

arose62
7th June 2006, 06:35 PM
Cool!

I'd also like to see a pic(s) of your indexer pin in position, as your lathe looks very much like my MC-1100, and I've been wondering about indexing (seen some home-made ideas on various web pages.)

I also considered mounting my lamp on the headstock - did yours come complete with all the holes, or have you been drilling and tapping in your spare time?

Cheers,
Andrew

soundman
7th June 2006, 09:30 PM
It's certainly one way of solving a problem, but it's not lateral thinking.
If it was lateral it would be horisontal or posibly at an angle.
This is vertical thinking:D

TTIT
8th June 2006, 09:05 AM
Cool!

I'd also like to see a pic(s) of your indexer pin in position, as your lathe looks very much like my MC-1100, and I've been wondering about indexing (seen some home-made ideas on various web pages.)

I also considered mounting my lamp on the headstock - did yours come complete with all the holes, or have you been drilling and tapping in your spare time?

Cheers,
Andrew

Andrew - I'll put the indexer up as another post when I get some pics of it - generally don't think to post pics of anything I made before joining the forum!

Found another advantage of the sandpaper tree last night:D I keep a line from the air-compressor handy when I'm turning to clear hollow forms and clean dust from pieces before I apply a finish. Discovered that the clips hold the paper securely enough to allow me to give the paper a blast while I'm at it and get a bit more life out of it - cool huh!;) :D