PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Question

lubbing5cherubs
10th June 2006, 12:02 PM
HI Tommorrow here in Winton we have a garage sale going on and they have a meat bandsaw for sale. Can you convert that to cut wood? Or are they the same?
Toni:rolleyes:

Gil Jones
10th June 2006, 12:45 PM
Toni, personally, I have no idea, but you can read thru this string of messages on just that topic.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/browse_thread/thread/e52548cc4d859601/13b3643f8a02145a?lnk=st&q=convert+meat+band+saw+to+cut+wood&rnum=1&hl=en#13b3643f8a02145a

CameronPotter
10th June 2006, 02:39 PM
I have heard about people trying it and getting frustrated. They aren't designed for precision work...

Cam

hughie
10th June 2006, 07:25 PM
Tommorrow here in Winton we have a garage sale going on and they have a meat bandsaw for sale. Can you convert that to cut wood? Or are they

Toni, You can, but from memory the capacity is much smaller, ie the height capacity is less.
But still if its going cheap enough its as good place to start from as any.
hughie

ribot
10th June 2006, 07:48 PM
I would think it's all about price
and if it suits the application you want it for.

Farnk
10th June 2006, 08:15 PM
Perhaps it's a one way thing, but I've heard that wood bandsaws can be very handy for sawing flesh when you're not being careful or attentive.

I know I've had a close call or two.

I'd have thought that the motors would be on the smallish side as well, so you might have a trouble or two ripping large stuff.

You'd need to make some sort of fence for it too.

rodent
11th June 2006, 02:59 AM
my frend uses one the only diference is that it will probably be stanless steel .Some have a meat grinder attached .ps find out what the blade size is so you can get more made 4to 6 teath per inch

Munga
11th June 2006, 08:39 AM
If you only want rough cuts on small stuff OK but other than that I wouldn't recomend it as they only have rub block guides on the top and they are just adequate, no bottom guide, the tables are normally fairly flimsy stainless steel (but good for the job they are designed for) and can not be tilted, the motors are normally about 1hp.
These comments are based on mine the home butcher type and not the large shop type.

Hope this helps

Arch.

ubeaut
11th June 2006, 08:56 AM
Save your money. You can probably buy a real bandsaw designed for timber use for around the same price as you would pay for thie one. You would have an acurate saw that could be used immediately and wouldn't have to spend many hundreds of $'s on trying to make making the wrong thing right. They are never as good as the real thing no matter how much money you spend fixing them up.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers - Neil :)

PS DON'T DO IT!

lubbing5cherubs
11th June 2006, 12:03 PM
Hi well the when I got there it was sold so I did not get it but we had decided not to worry it
bye Toni