PDA

View Full Version : Terminology question.

Dave Smith
10th June 2006, 05:46 PM
I have read references to metho and meths in the context that, I assume, refers to alcohol. When I wrote the article about drying roughed out bowls quickly using denatured alcohol, I assume denatured meant the same thing everywhere. I quickly learned that my friends to the North called methyl hydrate denatured alcohol. So is metho pure methanol? Is denatured ethanol available in your corner of the world?

I found Woodwork Forums through a referring URL to my alcohol soaking blog. It appears that a number of people from Australia and New Zealand have visited the blog but the referring URL has been a US forum or web site. Now that I have found a forum downunder with interested people I will be asking a lot questions. I don't have a lot of time to track all the forums and answer questions about the alcohol soaking process. You are welcome to email me with any questions you may have. I started the blog to have a central repository of information.

I used to keep in touch with Rod Smith in Adelaide. He was a regular on Badger Pond Woodworking Forum before it closed. I wonder if he still has his bar b q ready for my visit?

Dave Smith

On the wet side of the mountains in Longview, Washington, USA

hughie
10th June 2006, 07:16 PM
I have read references to metho and meths in the context that, I assume, refers to alcohol. When I wrote the article about drying roughed out bowls quickly using denatured alcohol, I assume denatured meant the same thing everywhere. I quickly learned that my friends to the North called methyl hydrate denatured alcohol. So is metho pure methanol? Is denatured ethanol available in your corner of the world?

Dave, Welcome to down under :D this is a busy forum.

As far as I know your denatured alcohol is what we call meths, metho or its full title methylated spirits. No doubt someone far more learned will give a much better clarification.

hughie

soundman
10th June 2006, 07:22 PM
Welcome to the forum dave, on behalf of the others thanks for your interest.

What you call denatured alcohol, we call metholated spirit, metho or meths.
I stand to me corrected but I believe in its retail form it is a blend of methil alcohol, ethil aclohol and a fair bit of water. Of course ther is a nasty flavor added just for funn.
Other variations are " Pure meths", 100% meths, and medical meths.

What you call mineral spirits we call mineral turpentine.

Some of the other solvents we read & hear about used in the US aren't commonly available or used here, or are difficult to get.

BTW we know what the word HARDwood means down here lots of our rock is softer than some of our timber.:D

Someone should compile a woodworkers translation guide some day.

cheers

Wizened of Oz
10th June 2006, 08:42 PM
I stand to me corrected but I believe in its retail form it is a blend of methil alcohol, ethil aclohol and a fair bit of water. Of course ther is a nasty flavor added just for funn.

Soundman, the water is there because ethyl alcohol does not distill pure, it distills with 4% water content.
Methyl alcohol is toxic and is added to make the product undrinkable. (Otherwise our governments would lose a huge tax base). Add something to give it a distinctive smell and you have our methylated spirits or the Americans' denatured alcohol.

scooter
10th June 2006, 08:55 PM
...Some of the other solvents we read & hear about used in the US aren't commonly available or used here, or are difficult to get...

Which ones, soundy ?

soundman
10th June 2006, 11:14 PM
From what I've heard there is quite a bit more than 4% water in the retail version of metho, to get that low (from what i understand) you have to buy the "100% meths" that is prefered for french polishing.

solvents not commonly used here.... naptha....ether.

cheers

Ramps
11th June 2006, 12:46 AM
Methylated spirits commonly has Methyl alcohol (or methanol) because it boils off (or distills) at a significantly lower temperature about 65 deg C (or for the thread starter about 149 deg F) than Ethyl alcohol (ethanol ... common alocohol) which boils (distills) at about 78 deg C (172 deg F) ... so in order to cheaply extract ethanol off the crudely fermented "stuff" (ie whatever they can get hold of cheaply) they manage to extract the methanol in the processs of distillation. On saying that they do have to delibrerately release meths with at least 10% methanol ... so yes they add it as well. If you're home brew wine gets a nasty infection with some certain bacteria they produce methanol .. nasty ... but I wouldn't know about these things ... well ok I do my own home brew and fruit wines .. but I still haven't poisoned anyone... yet:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th June 2006, 06:46 PM
Also why we "vent off" the first results from a still. There's firewater and there's the stuff that sends you blind... which comes from tight-arsed buggers who "cut it fine" when boiling off the methanol before salvaging the ethanol.

Did I say we? :eek: I mean... "they." Honestly. And this is all just hearsay anyway... I really wouldn't know anything about it. :rolleyes:

Makes for a bloody nice solvent, though, ruined many a good table/worktop. :o

Auld Bassoon
11th June 2006, 08:09 PM
;) Say no more mate!:D