PDA

View Full Version : Bargain + type of wood question

lubbing5cherubs
11th June 2006, 12:09 PM
HI today When I went to the garage sale I got a bonus there. have a look at this. I picked this up for $20
Toni
Click on picture to enlarge it. I think I did well. Do you know what type of wood, I am assuming gum Is that right ?

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/striving2bskinny/th_wood.jpg (http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/striving2bskinny/wood.jpg):D

Barry_White
11th June 2006, 06:37 PM
Gee I throw a couple like that on the fire every night this time of the year and I get them for nothing.

I think I'll have to have a few garage sales and maybe I can go back into retirement again.

lubbing5cherubs
11th June 2006, 07:16 PM
Gee I throw a couple like that on the fire every night this time of the year and I get them for nothing.

I think I'll have to have a few garage sales and maybe I can go back into retirement again.

really you mean to say I got ripped off. I though for a piece that is 1metre long, 5cm thick, 40cm wide which i have found out by talking to the person I bought if from is Mango. You mean for $20 that not a good deal????
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th June 2006, 07:43 PM
really you mean to say I got ripped off. I though for a piece that is 1metre long, 5cm thick, 40cm wide which i have found out by talking to the person I bought if from is Mango. You mean for $20 that not a good deal????

It depends. If you've got a recently felled mango tree taking up real estate in your backyard, you were ripped.

If, on the other hand, I wanted a piece of mango and didn't have any to hand then I would normally consider that $20- well spent. I say "normally" 'cos I can't tell by looking at that pic whether it's seasoned, green, flawed... But if it's seasoned with minimal flaws, then I'd say it's extremely well spent. ;)

lubbing5cherubs
11th June 2006, 07:48 PM
she is fully dried ready to go. NO Flaws at all except one knot but it on the edge and I don't think it will be a problem at all.
Toni

Slow6
11th June 2006, 07:57 PM
nah.. it looks nice to me lub.. I would have thrown a 20 at it no worries.

what you gonna make?

lubbing5cherubs
11th June 2006, 08:22 PM
slow6- hubby and kids would like me to turn it some legs and make a coffee table from it. I was going to cut it up for bowls but I think it will make a nice table too. So that what I am doing
Toni

Barry_White
11th June 2006, 11:58 PM
Toni
No I wasn't infering you were ripped off. I'm just saying maybe I could make a few bucks. My only problem is having the equipment to slab it.

lubbing5cherubs
12th June 2006, 12:07 AM
NO problem I am just a newie at this so I was just double checking
Toni

Jenny Brandis
12th June 2006, 12:45 AM
Mango.
My DH makes pens from mango wood and can sell them for $30 at the Saturday markets here in sunny kununurra. You go ahead and make your table but please remember to show us the finished thing. Better yet, take snaps of it as you go so that you will have a picturial record of its beginnings.