PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Pen Swap

dazzler
12th June 2006, 12:07 PM
Hi All :)

I posted a similar thread on the boxmaking forum and thought it may be of interest here.

SWMBO has this thing on her scrapbooking forum called a mystery swap and thought it may be of interest to the forum.

Basically a group gets together and decides on a monthly (or bimonthly) theme and each person forwards on a small package to someone else with the materials for the swap.

For the pen turning forum a theme for the month would be selected, "modern art" pehaps, and members turn a pen around that theme.

So a list is put together of all members, names are randomly assigned for each member to send to and then each member picks timber from thier local area or whatever rocks em and places that in the package and sends it off.

At the end of the month pics are sent to the organiser who puts them on the site for admiration and voting. Whoever wins gets the greenies.

I have added a poll if u r interested.

Perhaps at the end of the year we could each put in one or two and sell them for charity.

cheers

dazzler

Sir Stinkalot
12th June 2006, 12:25 PM
As a pen turner I would me more interested in obtaining random blanks rather than a completed pen ...... this is done on penturners.org and seems to work well.

Stuart
12th June 2006, 12:57 PM
Think that is what Daz meant. I'd be more interested in this - my box making skills are pretty much zero! (Although there is only one way to get better...)

Do you send the resulting pen back to the person who supplied the timber?

dazzler
12th June 2006, 04:21 PM
Sorry guys

You just supply the blank and send it to the recipient. They turn it and keep it. :D

cheers

dazzler

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th June 2006, 06:44 PM
Awww... you mean no passing the buck? I mean failures? Errmm... :rolleyes:

Mystery blanks? I'd be in that.

lubbing5cherubs
12th June 2006, 07:19 PM
sound cool
Toni

tonysa
13th June 2006, 01:21 AM
100% for yes- all 3 of us.
Anyone else ?

DJ’s Timber
13th June 2006, 01:29 AM
Sounds good

Count me in as well

Cheers DJ

Slow6
13th June 2006, 10:35 AM
I reckon its a great idea as I said in the box making thread.. but I reckon it would be great to have the whole mystery swap an open ended thing rather than to section it off into seperate disciplines.

personaly I think it would be a much more interesting set up if the reciever of said wood could create anything he/she liked.. be it pens, boxes, once off oddities.. whatever. It'd make it much easier to make up the numbers and would imho provide some great inspiration to see something done with a bit of wood that you'd never thought of. it would also be a great challenge working with dimentions that you might not be used to working with.

it would also help bring the people of different interests together.

so I vote a big YES.. but I reckon one all inclusive set up would be much nicer :)

rodent
19th June 2006, 01:34 AM
dazzler whats this months theme?

dazzler
19th June 2006, 06:49 PM
Hi All

The poll ends in a couple of days so will hold off any decisions till then.

I like slows idea and there are a couple of others that i have heard also.

One is that you send two blanks and each person makes two pens.

The second is for a "pay it forward" and given as gifts for any worthwhile cause.

If you are interested can you send me an email (go to my profile and select from there.) with PEN in the title so it will go into the correct folder in my inbox. A mailing address (PO box/home/whatever) and I will compose a list of all who will be involved.

Then come time to go with it I will co-ordinate the first one and send out the address that you need to send your blanks to and any other info.

cheers big ears

dazzler

Fireman sam
21st June 2006, 07:11 PM
Sounds Good Iam In

dazzler
21st June 2006, 08:00 PM
XLNT

Dont forget the email peoples. :D

I will reply to them all soon.

cheers

dazzler