PDA

View Full Version : Very newbie Question Sorry!!

cypher
13th June 2006, 05:32 AM
I want to try and harvest my own blanks form felled trees but my band saw only cuts up to 6". I normally use a chain saw to cut it down to 6" to fit my band saw but this really limits the size of blank I can make. Any suggestions on how to get around this. Beside by a bigger band saw. I have tried using the chain saw to get bigger blanks but you can't exactly get good straight cuts with a chain saw and they wobble to much to trun safely.

ubeaut
13th June 2006, 09:17 AM
Nothing wobbles too much to turn. Experience will tell you that. Chainsaw should be fine. Practise with both should make perfect.

OGYT
13th June 2006, 10:06 AM
Cypher, in order to turn an unbalanced piece of wood you need to be able to slow down the speed of the lathe to such a point that it doesn't give you too much vibration/shaking. If you don't have this capability, you may be stuck turning those 6 inchers.
You can pretty well balance a piece with a chainsaw. You just have to practice, while maintaining safety procedures to keep your legs and toes. :o)

PHD1
13th June 2006, 01:37 PM
When i cut big green block i sometimes use a chainsaw. I rough measure and cut 8 sided blocks. Another tool that u might feel a little safer with is a hand grinder with chainsaw cutting wheels on it. WHat i would do is mount the block on the lathe. Then the side that drops to the bottom is the side u want to remove more wood. I would only do this if ur lathe will lock out so it doent spin. (2 hands on the grinder). This should make the blockspin fine. U might also feel a little more comfortable with a little electric chainsaw once the bulk work is done.

bsrlee
13th June 2006, 08:45 PM
Cypher

Most bandsaws with a 6" high cutting capacity will take a 6" 'extension' piece that fits into the column that holds the wheels apart - there are 2 major types - Delta & Jet(aka everyone else). It takes a hour or so of swearing to get the saw apart & 5-10 minutes to put it together, you will need new longer blades tho'. The extension comes with a new block support so the saw can still be used to cut thin stock, but you can saw through 12" timber after you have dome the job.

Auzzie turner
13th June 2006, 08:55 PM
You could try using a hand or electric planner, because I often find that just that tiny little bump 2 inches high, sets the whole lathe rocking.
Not much help,:o
Regards........Joash

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th June 2006, 09:00 PM
Sounds like a good reason to start saving your pennies. But in the meantime... have you given any thought to laminating up your own blanks?

With careful selection of materials, you can build your blanks up to any size you want, save yourself time in roughing out and waste very, very little timber.

And Joash's suggestion of a handplane is a damned good one. You don't have to be an expert to use one in balancing out. :)

cypher
14th June 2006, 05:36 AM
I guess my concern is will the wobble cause damage to my lathe? Jet VSPro 14X42 (should the lathe be bolted to the floor) I have the ability to reduce the speed to 450 RPM but i still get the wobble. I think it just may require me to practice roughing out blanks more to get it as close to round as possible. Nothing will ever be perfect using a chain saw but will the minor wobble created cause damage?

BRSLEE - do you know where I can get this extension. I have a Jet bandsaw.

La truciolara
14th June 2006, 05:56 AM
I do it with a chain saw attached to a gig that is easyer to see than to explain.
quite efficient
This tree has a max diameter of 60 cm

Speanwoody
14th June 2006, 07:41 AM
Hi La Truciolara can you tell me who the manufacturer of the jig is many thanks

TTIT
14th June 2006, 09:28 AM
I do it with a chain saw attached to a gig that is easyer to see than to explain.
quite efficient
This tree has a max diameter of 60 cm

I don't want to hijack the thread but you have sparked my curiousity La Truc'.;) Got any more info on that jig?????:confused:

Cypher, Unless that thing is dancing around the shed, a little bit of wobble is not going to worry it. If my cheapy Chinese job can handle it, I'm sure a Jet will be fine.

Gil Jones
14th June 2006, 11:04 AM
Check out these chainsaw mills.
http://forestry.about.com/od/portamills/tp/port_chain_mill.htm

hughie
14th June 2006, 02:41 PM
I don't want to hijack the thread but you have sparked my curiousity La Truc'.;) Got any more info on that jig?????:confused:

Vern heres the Aussie equiv. http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/1998/archives/26/people_and_places/chainsaw_mill

Unless that thing is dancing around the shed, a little bit of wobble is not going to worry it. If my cheapy Chinese job can handle it, I'm sure a Jet will be fine

Cypher, Wobbling aint a problem. I got a el cheapo lilke TTIT and I can swing 15kg and get a real good wobble going till it balances up :D As it moves just follow it.......:eek: ..:D ;)

hughie

La truciolara
14th June 2006, 06:28 PM
Sorry to answer so late to your questions, but we have kind of a time zone difference.
Therefore, while you are still quietly dreaming in your beds, here is the address of the supplier in "France"
http://www.zimmersa.com/gruminette.htm<O:p</O:p
However… if you look carefully to the product, and that you are much more competent than I am (which is not at all improbable as, besides turning… I am a shame), you might be able to construct it yourself.<O:p</O:p
A bit of warning:
The chain saw must be powerful
The chain guide (the metal thing around which the chain slides…) must not have the wheel with bearings at it’s end and you will have to bore it<O:p</O:p
To cut a tree with 60 cm diameter you need a blade of 80 cm to work comfortably<O:p</O:p
Beware that you will have your nose close to the exhaust… so use the jig when there is a good wind or ware a mask.:)

Prior to buy the Gruminette I have hesitated at length to by the Logosol. This gig is sure more professional and if you plan to cut a lot of wood, which is not my case, I strongly recommend it.
http://www.logosol.com/webb/sawmills/2000a-default.php
<O:p</O:p

bsrlee
14th June 2006, 10:19 PM
Cypher

I got my (Delta) extension from Highland Hardware. The direct link to the (genuine Jet) one you want is:
http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1848

Say 'HI!' to Alexandra for me:D

You will also find a lot of other goodies to add to your saw, like improved tension springs, tension knob extenders, cool blocks etc......So hang onto your credit card;)