PDA

View Full Version : MC900 indexing rig...

TTIT
17th June 2006, 01:15 AM
After seeing how built-in indexing is setup on a "real" lathe last week, I thought I'd show you how I set mine up.:o The wheel is the clutch assembly from one of my young blokes rice-burners (CX500) that I machined down as I couldn't find a 60 tooth gear or sprocket anywhere (Actually, I couldn't find a gear with any useable number of teeth:(). Marking out and drilling the index holes was the tricky bit. The hole through the headstock turned out to be the right size for tapping with a 9/16 UNC thread and the steel was much softer than I was expecting (or hoping! :mad:. I could have relied on the bolt pressure to hold the index wheel securely to the headstock shaft but added a locating pin so there would be no need to lean on it with a spanner. The lock is a pretty straightforward cam type device, working out how to set it up so I could use the one device for the Vicmark chuck indexing as well took a bit more nuttin' out!(pic 3):D. The colored dots system works really well - tried putting numbers all over it but that was a shambles. From where I stand at the lathe I can see the dots quite easily, no counting stops or guessing spacings. Printed the dial from a CAD program and laminated it before gluing it to the wheel - surprisingly accurate.
Pics 4 and 5 are a couple of the pieces I've used the system on. Desert Ash/Sandalwood 'Pomander' and a Dead Finish bowl (Which just happens to be my favorite piece of wood).:D

hughie
17th June 2006, 01:24 AM
TTIT,
What a great idea! simple and effective.Must put it on my long list of things to do when I .............:D I think I will save the pics for another day.
hughie

arose62
17th June 2006, 09:00 AM
Looks great!

Just wondering if you have anything to stop the locating pin from rotating about where it mounts to the headstock (particularly in pic 3). It looks like a long lever from the chuck back to the headstock, and if there was any rotation of the chuck, could it tip the mounting shaft down a bit??

I'm guessing a lip on the block that mounts to the headstock?

Cheers,
Andrew

Gil Jones
17th June 2006, 10:22 AM
TTiT, Great idea!!

TTIT
17th June 2006, 08:13 PM
Just wondering if you have anything to stop the locating pin from rotating about where it mounts to the headstock (particularly in pic 3). It looks like a long lever from the chuck back to the headstock, and if there was any rotation of the chuck, could it tip the mounting shaft down a bit??
Andrew
Andrew - you're right - it can move if it gets a good enough nudge but for my purposes, it does the trick...
........ But thats a good idea mate! :DBecause I flip the block over when switching between positions, the lip would not affect the alternate mounting:). If it wasn't for the fact that I rarely use it on the chuck (not as accurate), I would go out and modify it right now!

cedar n silky
18th June 2006, 10:30 PM
Hi TTit. Was wondering what your Dead Finish bowl is. Looks like Black wood (or is dead finish a species of wood?)? also having not used indexing before, could you tell me how you finished the top of that bowl?
I presume you drilled out round holes using indexing and then finished of using a small saw and files or carving chisels.
They are great peices of work.
What other things can you do with indexing- I imagine you could mount a router and do legs and the like, but I am open to all and any ideas.

TTIT
18th June 2006, 10:52 PM
Hi TTit. Was wondering what your Dead Finish bowl is. Looks like Black wood (or is dead finish a species of wood?)? also having not used indexing before, could you tell me how you finished the top of that bowl?
I presume you drilled out round holes using indexing and then finished of using a small saw and files or carving chisels.
They are great peices of work.
What other things can you do with indexing- I imagine you could mount a router and do legs and the like, but I am open to all and any ideas. Cedar - Dead finish is the type of tree. It grows out west here and apparently got the name from the aboriginals who said that " if dry time kill this fella tree, this country him dead finish" ;).(Helps if you know some pidgin). It's pretty hard to work but is very stable and has all the colors of the rainbow if you know which bits to get :D. The pictured piece had just ONE wipe of Danish oil. You can get a beautiful sheen to it just by sanding alone. As you said, I used the indexer to drill the holes and then I just opened them up with small files.:)
The first thing I did with the indexer was the flutes on my dunny-roll post in the attached pic.:D

hughie
18th June 2006, 11:49 PM
[The first thing I did with the indexer was the flutes on my dunny-roll post in the attached pic.:D

Dunno how you live with your self, a dunny post with out flutes.....sigh things have slipped :D

hughie

cedar n silky
21st June 2006, 08:29 AM
As you said, I used the indexer to drill the holes and then I just opened them up with small files.:)
The first thing I did with the indexer was the flutes on my dunny-roll post in the attached pic.:D
Love the dunny role post!
going back to the bowl, did you make a jig and mount an electric drill on it, or is there a different way? It's all a bit new to me to me.
I used to do a lot of router work with the building game- shelving, kitchens and the like, so I imagine you just make up ply jigs and set them up over your lathe? To take a drill and a router and the like?
Thanks

TTIT
21st June 2006, 11:58 AM
going back to the bowl, did you make a jig and mount an electric drill on it, or is there a different way?
Thanks
Use a piece of scrap hardwood just a little bigger than the hole in your banjo (can anyone explain how it got that name???) and long enough to reach past centre height of your lathe. Turn one end to fit snugly in the banjo and drill a hole through at about centre height using the same diameter drill your going to pierce the work with. Mine has about 8 different diameter holes around it that are getting a bit sloppy now days - time for a newy! :) I've often thought about making something that will hold the actual drill but will leave it until I get one of those little laminate trimmers and then make something universal that will hold either. This is a 'one day' job!;)

The flutes I did with the router on a rig I made years ago that might be called a set of 'router rails' I think. For a 'one of' like that, I just clamped bits of wood and steel here and there on the ways until I had it the router where it needed to be. Rigging it up takes a hell of a lot longer than the cutting of course.;)

cedar n silky
21st June 2006, 10:07 PM
Thanks for that. Clear as crystal, and nice and simple! Not sure about the name "banjo" either. May have it's origins in early rail or automotive engineering, or it might go back to earlier times- Horse drawn stuff!
Cheers:)

Sprog
22nd June 2006, 02:24 AM
banjo (can anyone explain how it got that name???)
When viewed from above this was the shape of this part on earlier lathes :D

cedar n silky
23rd June 2006, 09:55 AM
When viewed from above this was the shape of this part on earlier lathes :D
Thanks for that! What a wealth of info this forum is. Best thing I've logged on to! And very supportive of people wanting to learn, young and old from all over the world!
A great example of technology at it's best!