PDA

View Full Version : how does Antarctic Beech and Brown Pine turn?

cedar n silky
18th June 2006, 10:08 PM
Howdy all!
I've been away from the forum for a while, having picked up a months work with National parks and Wildlife Service.(or as they are sometimes known "National Sparks and wildfire Service).
In my travels in the job as a feild officer, i have been "eying off" a couple of tree species- Antarctic Beech found in the Border Ranges just North of Kyogle, as well as a lovely native pine known as Brown Pine.
Any body turned these timbers?
Not that I would remove, or encourage anyone else to remove timber from a national park!!;)

Farnk
18th June 2006, 10:36 PM
Reminds me of the nickname everyone gave the dept of sustainability and environment here in Vic when the 'controlled' burn at Wilson's prom got out of control:

DSE became 'Department of scorched earth'!

hughie
18th June 2006, 11:53 PM
Not that I would remove, or encourage anyone else to remove timber from a national park!!;)
[/QUOTE]

Cedar matey
The only way that I could give a worth while appraisal is to do a full in depth study on a large sample of said timbers.............:D
hughie

TTIT
19th June 2006, 12:00 AM
Cedar matey
The only way that I could give a worth while appraisal is to do a full in depth study on a large sample of said timbers.............:D
hughie
I'll volunteer to assist in an assessment - more sample eggs!!!!:D

cedar n silky
20th June 2006, 07:51 PM
Reminds me of the nickname everyone gave the dept of sustainability and environment here in Vic when the 'controlled' burn at Wilson's prom got out of control:

DSE became 'Department of scorched earth'!

I was at Wilsons Prom a month or so back, and your right- it's pretty burnt out!! It was freezing cold and there wasn't a fireplace in sight! Don't know why cause there was nothing to burn!
I came back via the "Alpine Way" and it was super burnt out also but at least they had fireplaces at the camping ground at a great place called Geehi (near Thredbo) (I lit a bloody big fire, but still havn't seen a "live wombat" only deadn's!):D
You take your life in your hands though, driving the Alpine way- every couple of hundred meters or so, the steel roadside guard rales have enormous dents in them where the burnt, dead trees fall!:)

cedar n silky
20th June 2006, 07:58 PM
[<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER- 1px inset; BORDER- 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by hughie
Cedar matey
hughie
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
:Dquote=TTIT]I'll volunteer to assist in an assessment - more sample eggs!!!!:D[/quote]

I'd love to help but I don't know if my lunchbox would be big enough!
That's the only way I could "sneak" the wood past the rangers.
Bit like that fella that stole all those $2 coins from the mint! In his pockets and lunck box, I think!;)

Chesand
20th June 2006, 08:06 PM
DSE also means Department of Stupid Employees

rsser
20th June 2006, 08:43 PM
You take your life in your hands though, driving the Alpine way- every couple of hundred meters or so, the steel roadside guard rales have enormous dents in them where the burnt, dead trees fall!:)

The m/c club rides the Snowies couple of times a year Cedar. Simple solution: ride fast :D

And I suspect that some of those dings weren't caused by trees :o