PDA

View Full Version : So Excited

lubbing5cherubs
21st June 2006, 11:23 PM
Hi I am so excited. I have been only turning since May I got my lathe and I turned this today. I am feeling quite chuffed with myself I am. Love to know what you think. I know the sanding needs work still.
bye Toni

Resized pictures

Cliff Rogers
21st June 2006, 11:41 PM
I need glasses, can ya make the pic bigger?

Also, put some thing in the pic like a match box or 2 bob as a size reference.

Detail looks good from what I can see.
When you make something with that much detail, you have to try VERY hard not to need very much sanding as sanding & detail do NOT play well together.

I don't use much detail so I can use LOTS of sanding. :D

TTIT
22nd June 2006, 12:04 AM
Coming along there Toni !:) As Cliff said, bigger pics would be nice but what you can see looks good.:D

lubbing5cherubs
22nd June 2006, 12:15 AM
I will try but I only have my digital camera on my mobile phone. We are still rebuilding from a house fire in August so budget tight I see if hubby can get a better picture for me.

Cliff --as for size it is roughly 2" high by 6" accross (5cm x 15cm) hope that helps some.
Toni

Cliff Rogers
22nd June 2006, 12:38 AM
go here...
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

find the link on the right hand size to the Image Resizer & down load it & install it.

It loads as a menu item on your right click button so all you have to do is piont to the pic where you stored it on your hard drive, right click & choose Resize.
It will ask you what size you want to make it, pick the smallest.
It is very good, it will knock out all the hi-res info & leave the picture at the same viewable size on the screen.
Most pics end up smaller than BB 100Kb limit.
Now all you have to do is up load the pic with the word (small) behind it.
Easy. ;) :D

lubbing5cherubs
22nd June 2006, 01:59 AM
go here...
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

find the link on the right hand size to the Image Resizer & down load it & install it.

It loads as a menu item on your right click button so all you have to do is piont to the pic where you stored it on your hard drive, right click & choose Resize.
It will ask you what size you want to make it, pick the smallest.
It is very good, it will knock out all the hi-res info & leave the picture at the same viewable size on the screen.
Most pics end up smaller than BB 100Kb limit.
Now all you have to do is up load the pic with the word (small) behind it.
Easy. ;) :D

Thanks Cliff that is brilliant have done that. THank you so much
bye Toni

Gil Jones
22nd June 2006, 03:02 AM
Toni,
You should be quite pleased with yourself!! This is a very nice lidded box, especially for your first. What species of wood is it?:)

lubbing5cherubs
22nd June 2006, 09:06 AM
Toni,
You should be quite pleased with yourself!! This is a very nice lidded box, especially for your first. What species of wood is it?:)
Thanks Gil, Yes I was so pleased with myself last night I thought I was going to bust, the wood is Rose Butternut.
Toni

Gil Jones
22nd June 2006, 11:35 AM
You have some very interesting wood to turn in Australia. Rose Butternut, it seems, is a semi-dangerous one. "rose butternut**Australia**Dermatitis, conjunctivitis"
Check this site> http://www.ubeaut.com.au/badwood.htm <

powderpost
22nd June 2006, 11:56 AM
Toni
Nothing like the first bowl is there? Do suggest that you keep the lines simple and make half a dozen of them. Boring, I know, and what do you do with six of the little beasts? Keep the first one and compere it with each new one and see the difference between them. As a general rule, keep the pretty woods for plain simple bowls and the plain timbers for the decorated bowls. As Cliff said sanding can destroy detail. This one looks real good to me. Keep at it.
Jim

lubbing5cherubs
22nd June 2006, 12:23 PM
You have some very interesting wood to turn in Australia. Rose Butternut, it seems, is a semi-dangerous one. "rose butternut**Australia**Dermatitis, conjunctivitis"
Check this site> http://www.ubeaut.com.au/badwood.htm <

Really I am pleased to say I had no effects of doing this bowl. I do using acrylics. So happy with that
Toni

hughie
22nd June 2006, 02:41 PM
Hi I am so excited. I have been only turning since May I got my lathe and I turned this today. I am feeling quite chuffed with myself I am. Love to know what you think. I know the sanding needs work still.

Hi Toni, Shape and form are everything in a bowl---MHOP. methinks you done good

Sanding will improve as will the gouge work. Hey we all started at the beginning :D

keep up the good work

hughie

lubbing5cherubs
22nd June 2006, 02:59 PM
Hi Toni, Shape and form are everything in a bowl---MHOP. methinks you done good

Sanding will improve as will the gouge work. Hey we all started at the beginning :D

keep up the good work

hughie

Thanks I agree I do think I did good...thanks for saying
Toni

OGYT
22nd June 2006, 03:37 PM
Toni, they look good. (It's the camera that needs help.) My son sent a pic from his camera phone of his new dog. Couldn't even see it. :o)
Lidded boxes like this are called Powder Boxes in my part of the country. To get first time boxes to look this good is exceptional. Keep it up... you'll get even better!!