PDA

View Full Version : Huon Pine carving

HuonCarver
23rd June 2006, 02:45 PM
Hi I have been carving Huon Pine for decades now It is great wood to carve, it is soft does'nt rot smells great and carvings have a beautiful light finish, but on the down side it is very expensive as logging of this rare wood is illegal so the only source of this wood comes from dead falls, does anyone know of an alternative which resembles huon pine but is a bit more accessible or readily available?

Roger Brown
Tasmania

echnidna
23rd June 2006, 08:55 PM
Post some pics so we can all drool.

Try carving some cypress macrocarpra its very similar to Kauri.
Its the windbreak tree on many farms so you might find it if you look around, near impossible to buy though.

HuonCarver
24th June 2006, 07:54 PM
Here is my site, feel free to comment
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~denbloke/HuonCarver/Index.htm

echnidna
24th June 2006, 08:40 PM
In a word, Superb!!

Lignum
24th June 2006, 08:45 PM
one word. Unbelievable. Strait to the inspirational room:D :D :D :D :D

HuonCarver
25th June 2006, 12:42 AM
thank you,im glad my work may have inspired you,very gratifying to know one can help in a small way.
one word. Unbelievable. Strait to the inspirational room:D :D :D :D :D

Lignum
25th June 2006, 01:01 AM
thank you,im glad my work may have inspired you,very gratifying to know one can help in a small way.

Hiyu Rog:D You being new here, the inspitational room is where the "inspirational" web sites go. Yours is certainly worthy of that honour:D

HuonCarver
25th June 2006, 01:12 AM
thank you bob glad you liked my array of pieces,much appreciated

HuonCarver
25th June 2006, 01:14 AM
well lignum,im honoured to have the honour,thank you

Lignum
25th June 2006, 01:18 AM
well lignum,im honoured to have the honour,thank you

Well im honoured to have the honour of being hounerd:D

Harry72
25th June 2006, 03:58 AM
Wow, got any high res pic's of the "man from snowy"

schaf
25th June 2006, 07:30 AM
Just brilliant,Roger thank you for sharing.
Regards Terry

HuonCarver
25th June 2006, 09:16 AM
thanks terry,glad you enjoyed my pieces

HuonCarver
25th June 2006, 09:21 AM
sorry harry,those are the only pics i have left of the man from snowy river,he stood at approx,60 cm high ,by about 30 cm across,all one piece from a discarded stump,nothing"Stuck on",the whip measures,2 mm thick,very detailed piece of australiana.

reeves
25th June 2006, 11:47 AM
mm not sure there is 'anything' similar at all, in fact its in its own genus.

The closest seems to be celerytop pine and u probably know that well, any other Araucaria such as BUnya or Hoop or kauri wood be pretty good i guess...

the big Regnans and its relatives....even light Sassafras.....the Parana pine from Brazil is really nice, some well dried Pawlonia or Camphor would be good to carve....Asain woods, Myrtle would be near to u...

Yr main problem seem to be that HP is seriously nice wood, smells good, works well and finsihes in away that gives it presence in a room or wherever, people drool over it and as far as I can see there no comparision really, u wont find anything like it, sorry to say...good luck, i have a feeling if u can find any old Camphor down that aways, you may like it...

BTW nice site, nice carvnings.....cheeeeeeeeers

theycallmejoe
25th June 2006, 12:23 PM
I know that everyone else is saying it but, that that is truly magnificient work Roger. Just love the pics.:D Cheers, Joe.

HuonCarver
25th June 2006, 03:30 PM
well reeves,your right there,Huon is a unique wood,and i will be sad to see the end of it,fortunatly 90% of my carvings come from what they class as rubbish wood in the mills here,amazing what is hiding in that rubbish,thank you for your comments

HuonCarver
25th June 2006, 03:36 PM
thanks joe,as they say,the best is yet to come,4.5 mtr,deep relief carving of famous australian bush scenes,circa 1880s,adapted from Tom Roberts paintings,i.e.shearing of the rams,in Huon Pine,first panel completed,5 panels in all.and a lot of detail.

theycallmejoe
25th June 2006, 05:09 PM
thanks joe,as they say,the best is yet to come,4.5 mtr,deep relief carving of famous australian bush scenes,circa 1880s,adapted from Tom Roberts paintings,i.e.shearing of the rams,in Huon Pine,first panel completed,5 panels in all.and a lot of detail.

Look forward to seeing the photos HuonCarver :D

Wild Dingo
27th June 2006, 04:44 AM
Roger I love the site!! Talk about inspiration :cool:

As someone very VERY new to carving I would like to ask what tools you use? okay and anothery... how do you go about doin the inital "drawing" do you see the picture in your head then just go to it or do you draw it out first then carve it?

Cheers!

Ps... I put a link up to your site on the American Woodenboat.com forum :cool: Nothin like a bit of free publicity ;)