PDA

View Full Version : lathe question

Bluegum
26th June 2006, 12:42 PM
I'm contemplating looking at woodturng just to expand on my shed time at home. SWMBO and I were at some markets over the weekend and we were looking at bowls and such. I wouldn't mind having a go at the turining game and was was ondering what would be a good lathe to start with.

OGYT
26th June 2006, 01:09 PM
Dave, I'm not from Australia, so I don't know anything about the lathes that are available there. But I suspect you already have the addiction, and you haven't even started yet... Man! You're gonna be good! :o
Oh, I suggest you don't just get any old thing to start with... get a gem to start with, and you won't be wishing for a change!

Wood Butcher
26th June 2006, 01:30 PM
The MC900 or MC 1100 is a good lathe to start on. They are a good price ($350 - $450) and you can do bowls or spindle work. Have a search and there is lots of info on them here and if you decide to upgrade they have a reasonable resall value.

rsser
26th June 2006, 01:46 PM
Just jump straight to the addition [edit, freudian slip, meant addiction] corner! Save expense by going straight to a big lathe ;-}

hughie
26th June 2006, 02:27 PM
Bluegum,
There good advice here. But It all depends on how much your willing to spend. :confused: In hindsight of what I bought I would suggest that you go for quality. If you buy a cheapee and then move up to a quality one later, it has cost you more, simple economics. :(

I would suggest further you need to look at spending at least $2-3000 there is not much quality under this price. Don't forget to allow at least $1000 for tools etc ie gouges, chisels and a few lathe extras. :eek:

If your handy with metal work then you can save your self a bundle by making your own. There are a heap of threads dedicated to this on the forum and many web sites with further info :D If not pm me as I have had a hand in making much of my own tools and upgrading my cheapee.

If had paid retail for everything, then I probably would have bought the equivalent of a couple of Vicmark or Teknatool lathes.:eek: :mad: -- food for thought?

But as a bit of guide line:-
[1] Look for power at least 1hp, more is nice :D
[2] good speed range, say 200-2500. Can be variable not absolutely necessary.
[3] Good clearance over the bed for larger bowls etc. Or a swivel head set up
[4] Solid heavy construction of lathe bed, headstock etc.
[5] Low or no vibration --quite operation.
[6] Good solid stand.
[7] Ease of operation, everything works simply, easily and efficiently.
[8] some sort of dust extraction

welcome to our addiction :D

hughie

Simomatra
26th June 2006, 05:45 PM
Bluegum

It might be worth your while taking a look at the local club.

They have many experienced turner and they also conduct classes for
beginners

They often have second hand units for sale as well

link below is there web site

http://www.freewebs.com/delbird/

Tassie Boy
26th June 2006, 08:25 PM
IT depends what you want to do really.. and how much your willing to spend.. I just ordered the Jet mini lathe which is a great lathe for what i wan tto do with it..
If you want to turn large bowls and the such you would want something a bit bigger. also for bowls you will need a scroll chuck..
welcome to turning:D