PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Perspex

Little Festo
22nd July 2002, 02:08 PM
Hello from Darwin,

I have a old sheet of perspex/acrilic (about 10 years old). Due to humidity and heat the protective paper covering the sheet is almost impossible to remove. Is there an easy way to get it off.

Most can be removed with turps and lots of hard work but even then there are small patches that won't come off.

The perspex is still in very good condition though, not cracking and is still very strong.

Peter

Kev Y.
22nd July 2002, 04:06 PM
I would be careful NOT to use anything stronger than Turps, you could end up hazing the surface.

you may just have to persist with a bit of elbow grease!..

Rod Smith
22nd July 2002, 05:05 PM
G'day
I have no experience with this particular problem but would experiment with heat, maybe with some moisture as well, like ironing over a damp cloth.
cheers
Rod

Eastie
22nd July 2002, 05:12 PM
Try eucalyptus oil on a small patch that you don’t need. It is good at removing stuff like this, but I'm not sure it won’t cloud the perspex.

niel.p
23rd July 2002, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Little Festo:
Hello from Darwin,

I have a old sheet of perspex/acrilic (about 10 years old). Due to humidity and heat the protective paper covering the sheet is almost impossible to remove. Is there an easy way to get it off.

Most can be removed with turps and lots of hard work but even then there are small patches that won't come off.

The perspex is still in very good condition though, not cracking and is still very strong.

Peter you try shellite, we use it to remove built up gum on our transport cases

Little Festo
23rd July 2002, 09:28 AM
Thganks guy,

I,ll try the "elbow grease". I've tried the eucalyptus oil but not the shellite, I'll give that a go too.

Thanks - Peter

Sandy Johnston
23rd July 2002, 10:27 AM
Boil the jug...wait till it cools down a bit and (try on one edge) pour it on - will soften the adhesive and not the perspex - to remove scratches - use standard toothpaste and gently rub in light circles or get the stuff they use on motorcycle visors.

Regards
sandy across the ditch

Paul_Kane
23rd July 2002, 07:23 PM
You can also try polishing with it a DREMEL type rotary tool. With the right accessory you can polish most plastics and similiar materials. A jewellers rouge or similar should produce a satisfactory result.

Paul Kane

------------------
"It's a grind without a Dremel" (http://www.ozemail.com.au/~year2000)

[This message has been edited by Paul_Kane (edited 23 July 2002).]

soundman
28th July 2002, 12:20 AM
Can't help you with the plastic film.
But BRASSO & a soft rag has worked for me in the past.