PDA

View Full Version : Gouge tearing into wood - need advise

ddeen
29th June 2006, 06:36 AM
Occationally I get my guoge & skew chisel ripping some of the work I am turning (mostly pens and drawer pulls). I have not had a lot of time to experiment with my lathe (Jet Mini) to see if decreasing or increasing the speed helps. I am running at about 2600 RPM and my tools are razor sharp. Is 2600 going to fast ? If somebody knows a link that talks about the same topic I would appreciate being pointed to it.. thanks. Dennis

lubbing5cherubs
29th June 2006, 06:42 AM
Hi I found this website it might offer you some advice on speed. Hope it helps anyway
http://www.alanlacer.com/pdf/LatheSpeed.pdf
bye Toni

chrisb691
29th June 2006, 07:30 AM
Theres some interesting material re tool usage at http://www.turningtools.co.uk/wtintro/wtintro.html . Being new to turning, I am finding it very useful.

Rookie
29th June 2006, 03:49 PM
I'm no expert on this by any means and I might be preaching to the converted, but the guy teaching me never ever stops stressing about using the bevel to position the chisel before raising it into the wood. Going in too straight to start with will cause tearing and he's always at me to use the bevel to rest on the work, then lower into the work slowly.

rsser
29th June 2006, 08:38 PM
Try cutting at around 45 degrees to the grain, and take light cuts.

rowie
29th June 2006, 11:18 PM
rookie is on the ball, or bevel in this case. As soon as the bevel loses contact with the timber, the cutting edge isnt supported anymore & the tool wants to,( & normally will) dig in. for shear cutting with the skew, try raising the toolrest so its as high as the top of the blank (so you are cutting right on the top edge, with the tool almost horizontal.)
2600 sounds fine.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th June 2006, 12:57 AM
Depends on what he means by "ripping." Dig-ins? Yeah, bevel rubbing. Or does he mean tear-out?

If he's succesfully using a skew and only occasionally getting tear-out I'd say he's bevel-rubbing already. Skew's don't normally make good scrapers... "occasional" tear-out would be a gross understatement. :rolleyes:

If so, then I think Ern's on the money.

BTW, small diameters and 2500RPM is fine. I turn my pens @ 3200RPM...

ddeen
30th June 2006, 06:58 AM
I really appreciate all the advice and the links. I was starting to get scared of the tool which then cut down on the fun. Based on the comments received I now think that I have my tool rest set way to low which is then forcing my gougue/skew to come in at a not so ideal angle (dig ins). I also will start paying close attention to bevel rubbing.. thanks.