PDA

View Full Version : Lemon Oil.

Captain Chaos
29th June 2006, 09:41 PM
G'day,
I'm currently reading Woodturning Projects by Mark Baker of Woodturning Magazine. He uses lemon oil as a finish on several of his turning projects.
Has anyone on the UBWWF used lemon oil & what standard of finish does it give?
Thanks in advance for any info you are able to supply.
Regards,
Barry.
P.S. Mark also uses U & Beauts EEE Ultrashine! http://www.ubeaut.biz/approval.gif http://www.ubeaut.biz/claps.gif <table style="border-collapse: collapse;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="806"> <tbody><tr><td align="left" height="60" width="180">
</td> <td align="left" height="60" width="180">
</td></tr></tbody> </table>

soundman
30th June 2006, 12:22 AM
I used to sell an aerosol lemon oil polish & it had its moments.
It wasn't a finish in its self but it did lift the timber grain & luster.

howard do an orange oil based citrus polish whih might be worth looking at.

cheers

hughie
30th June 2006, 02:15 AM
Barry,
I gather it has a similar effect as orange oil and works more like a enhancer of the timber grain etc.
I have found orange oil draws out the colour, figuring etc and as Soundman suggested look at the Howard web site
http://www.howardproducts.com.au/products/orange_oil.htm
hughie

PAH1
30th June 2006, 02:36 PM
Natural orange oil is about 70% or so D-limonene, lemon oil would be about the same proportion of L-limonene. Both are very good solvents being about the same as hexane but of a great deal less toxicity.

TimberNut
30th June 2006, 04:07 PM
I'll back up Hughie's comments. Howards Orange Oil really hightens colours in figured timber. Gives it a lovely shine. Excellent on fine grained timber.
But it's not really a finish.
It's nice when finished with some of the waxes supplied by our wonderful hosts on this site.

Can't help with Lemon Oil though.

rsser
30th June 2006, 06:10 PM
Doesn't any natural oil highlight the figure in wood?

Captain Chaos
1st July 2006, 02:35 PM
G'day,
Thanks for your replies re lemon oil / polish. My apologies for not replying sooner but all things computerish have been on the backburner for the last couple of days.
Apparently Mark Baker uses lemon oil to enhance the grain of the timber ( as stated by you people in your replies to my query http://www.ubeaut.biz/thumbup.gif ) without darkening it.
Probably won't work on redgum as it tends to darken in its own sweet time, no matter what finish is applied. :eek::(
I believe that Howard Products will be at the Adelaide Timber & Working with Wood Show, so I'll check out their Orange oil polishes then. Don't worry Neil, Ubeaut is marked down as the very first purchase stop once I actually make it into the hall!!;):D
Thank you,
Barry.

ubeaut
1st July 2006, 04:23 PM
Don't think Howards have been there the few years and wouldn't count on seeing them this year, but could be wrong.

Far as I know U-Beaut is the only polish maker to regularly show up in Adelaide every year.

Cheers - Neil :)

PS See you there Barry

trover
6th July 2006, 01:46 AM
I came away from the Brisbane Wood show with some howards orage oil liquid wax, and spray. Even after reading the instruction sheets - I must confess - I still not sure which to use where. Is it the spray on oil on new timber, followed by the wax? Or is the spray for maintenance of furniture. I know this makes me seem like I cant read, but the instructions are not clear - perhaps someone can help please.

OGYT
6th July 2006, 12:38 PM
G'day,
Has anyone on the UBWWF used lemon oil & what standard of finish does it give?
Barry.
Okay. Here's something about Lemon Oil: Left a large cabinet of carved oak in a house for 6 years without heat or cooling. Carved doors cracked enough to stick a pencil in.
Bought a gallon of Parker's lemon oil, as per the instructions of a lady clerk in a hardware store. :confused: :eek:
Soaked it with lemon oil. Kept it wet for a week or so, everytime I went by, I re-wet the places that had absorbed the oil. Used half of the gallon I bought. The cracks closed completely. Lemon oil must get into the cells of the wood some way, and swell them up. However it works, it sure is good for the wood.
Using it as a finish, it'll shine like a new dollar. But then it'll dim up after a few days, and require shining again. Haven't tried wax on top of the lemon oil.
Hope this is worth something to someone.:)

hughie
7th July 2006, 01:46 AM
[Soaked it with lemon oil. Kept it wet for a week or so, everytime I went by, I re-wet the places that had absorbed the oil. Used half of the gallon I bought. The cracks closed completely. Lemon oil must get into the cells of the wood some way, and swell them up. However it works, it sure is good for the wood.

Hmmm thats food for though I have a lump of Kwila that developed a few cracks in all the wrong places :(

thanks

hughie