PDA

View Full Version : Winged Bowl

Matto
15th August 2002, 08:57 PM
I am hoping some of you smarter-than-I woodturmers may be able to help me with something. I attempting to make a winged bowl out of redgum - where you start with a square blank and leave the corners on. What I need help on is th sanding and finishing. I am anticipating the corners spinning aroung at high velocity and expect this to be very hard on the fingers as there isn't a continuous surface to press on. The same applies to the Shellawax finish I was planning on using. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Matto.

Kev Y.
15th August 2002, 10:23 PM
Matto, I have not even thought of attempting a winged bowl YET!. however,

(snip, cut edit!!!)

Winged bowls = square boxes = Vic Wood = Brudda is and Idiot!

How could I have been soooooo Dumb? Put it down to Night shift!

( end snip, cut edit!!!)

I stand to be corrected and educated.

Kev

------------------
IF at first you don't succeed, relax your, normal.

[This message has been edited by Brudda (edited 17 August 2002).]

Sandy Johnston
16th August 2002, 10:55 AM
Be Brave -
Be Careful.

I have turned three and thoroughly enjoyed the challenge. Sore knuckles to boot!
The first two bit me but the third was okay.

I turn on a shopsmith/novachuck at 2500 and screw mount then cut bottom/outside and spigot and finish off then flip and do top/outside and finish.
I use a clipon bedside lamp nearby with 60watt bulb - flurescent is BAD as you get a strobe and false corners .
13mm bowl gouge into wings using best lighting and light cuts.
- Slow Tool movements -

Sand through the grits with third sheet lightly layed on fingers in small circular motion. If paper is flung off fingers get a light rubbing only!
Work from centre out.
I finish with organoil and reverse chuck 2 days later with 600 grit silicone paper soaked in oil and buff next day with lambswool on drillpad.

I must be doing something right as all three bowls were snapped up by admirers

I have had fun and want to develop the wings in to more radical designs.

Best of luck and be careful
Regards
Sandy across the ditch

Tim the Timber Turner
16th August 2002, 01:24 PM
If you try one without the scrap glued to the sides, one trick is to place some white card or board behind the turning piece it will show up the ghost image. Second trick is to wear a full glove on your left hand. If your hand or fingers drift into the danger area you will get a warning with the timber flicking the glove. Without a glove the first thing you feel HURTS!!

Good luck

Cheers Tim

------------------
Some days I turns thisaway, somedays I turns thataway and other days I don't turn at all.