PDA

View Full Version : Mike Darlow

Auzzie turner
30th June 2006, 08:50 PM
I have had many people comment to me about Mark Darlow. Some people think half the time he doesent know what he's talking about. Others think he is a good turner.(I am neutral) What are your ideas?
Regards.........Joash

dazzler
30th June 2006, 09:18 PM
Hi Auzzie

I think he is a great turner. :)

But is in dire need of some training as a presenter;:o

The hypotonuse of the bevel of the angle x the circumferance of the axis in the ..........

Bodgy
30th June 2006, 09:22 PM
Who's Mark Darlow?

What band's he play with?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th June 2006, 09:54 PM
Do a search for his works on the web (there's plenty of 'em!) and take a good long look at what he has turned.

Then you tell us whether he's a good turner.

Now, whether he's a good teacher, lecturer or even a nice human being are different questions altogether...

Jim Carroll
30th June 2006, 09:58 PM
Are we talking about Mark Darlow or Mike Darlow?

dazzler
30th June 2006, 10:31 PM
Are we talking about Mark Darlow or Mike Darlow?

His bad brother:rolleyes:

the one they keep in a cage:o

RETIRED
30th June 2006, 11:16 PM
Fixed Heading and Poll.

soundman
30th June 2006, 11:45 PM
It is sad that writers of books are expected to have all the answers and all the facts and have everything correct.

I have found that almost without exception books are never 100% correct. I don't care it its some chinglish tool manual or some high end law text.

One must therefore read with an active a critacal eye, discerning that which is reasonable, usefull and beneficial and that which may be of less quality.
This is the basis of good learning.

Mike darlow has some excelent technical analisis and carefully considered instruction.

Sections of his texts may generate strong reactions for certain dogmatic individuals who do not agree with his analisis of certain methods.
I may be argued that these are thae who have learned bad method and persist with their dogma rather than examine the facts and realise the error of their ways.

Wood turning is one of those things that has a number of technicaly correct ways to do things and even more widely preached ways that may not stand up to close scrutiny. However even those who use bad method may be quite able and happy with their results.

Example

Most modern and educated turners would not argue that the "tied underhand grip" is the best for controlling the skew, however even those who teach and practise it will often use another grip of it suits them at the time.
Also it is completely possible to be proficient with the skew and not use the tied underhand grip and there are those who refuse to use it or perhaps to rubish it.

Mike seeks to bring some science to the art of turning, some disagreement is inevitable.

cheers

bdar
30th June 2006, 11:53 PM
I have read Mike's books, he is very technical and goes into depth in theory and the process of who eveything happens from the way to present the chisel to the piece of timber you are turning through to his thoughts on finishing. Mike's books are a lesson within themselves and I think that is where a lot of people may be put off. The stuff he has turned is up there with a lot of them. The lastest book on turned chess pieces is brilliant and the ever continuing topic of wood turning is art or craft was well written by Mike in a past issue of WoodTurning magazine. As for a presenter I do not know, haven't seen him present before and I haven't seen his DVD's, but from seeing his work and reading hi books Mike is up there with all the others.
Darren

Auzzie turner
1st July 2006, 12:20 AM
Hi, don't take it that I don't think his work is good, personally I think he is excellent. Just wanted to see what your point of views were.

Regards......Joash

Auzzie turner
1st July 2006, 01:37 AM
Sorry I accidently got his name wrong:o

rsser
1st July 2006, 08:56 AM
Have heard of him described as Oz's best 'technical turner'.

Certainly uses a rigorous lexicon of turning terms.

dazzler
1st July 2006, 09:52 AM
Hey

I actually hope that Mike and Mr RAFFAN turn out to have produced a long hidden, talented child.

Half way between both would be xlnt:D

P.S Slowing down Richard makes him sound drunk, speeding Mike up and he sounds like a chipmunk:)

Both very talented :D

macca2
1st July 2006, 11:28 AM
He is a great turner.
Reading his books is all a matter of timing. If you read his books as your first intro to turning (as I did) you think, what the hell is he talking about.
However if you read him again some years later, after having had some lessons and gained a little experience it all starts to make sense.

Macca

bdar
1st July 2006, 01:16 PM
Hey Joash, it ok mate, that is all we have done, given our point of view. Like you Macca, Mike's very first book was the second book I was given after Dale Nish's Artistic Wood Turning, I was 16 then and when I started read Mike's book I just went oh look at that fire truck but now at 38 you can appreciate his point of view and technical aspects and how he see wood turning