PDA

View Full Version : Which beginners chuck should a woodchuck chuck

dazzler
30th June 2006, 09:28 PM
Hey

I am after a chuck for a beginner.

We can get stuff from the carbatec cattledog and these are the choices;

Any suggestions

(dont forget I am a beginner and my money tree is wilting;) )

Budget scroll
http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=300_14210_19381

Tecnatool G3
http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=300_14210_19353_19354

or

the economy tommy bar scroll chuck (page 190 of the c'tec book) for $129 that has the two bars that tighten it. (this is in stock)

I am going to do small bowls and plates :) and maybe that 90kg jarrah burl I have out the back:rolleyes:

cheers

dazzler

Jim Carroll
30th June 2006, 09:56 PM
It would depend on the type of lathe you have.

The budget chuck is a good paperweight.

The G3 scroll chuck was designed for the mini & midi lathes.

The best suggestion is the Supernova 2 as an allround chuck as it is more user friendly. Also when you decide to buy a larger lathe you will have a chuck to move up with you.

If the budget does not allow for the supernova 2 save a bit longer as it will be worthwhile in the long run.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th June 2006, 10:02 PM
They still producing the Precision Midi, Jim?

Dazzler, that's Teknatool's tommy bar job for mini/midi lathes. IMHO works as well as the G3 (and takes the same jaws) but was considerably cheaper last time I looked. (I have both.)

I agree wholeheartedly that the Supernova 2 is the best buy for a larger lathe and worth the extra $$$. But I'm biased... I own a couple of them, too. ;)

Jim Carroll
30th June 2006, 10:13 PM
Skew only in very limited numbers and when they get enough orders to make it worthwhile.

Simple answer No.

dazzler
30th June 2006, 10:27 PM
Sorry Guys

Ive got the king of lathes

dah dah dah

The MIGHTY C'Tec MC1100 :D

http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/images/product/MC900.jpg

Cheers

dazzler

soundman
1st July 2006, 12:25 AM
garry pye stocks the nova precision midi.
cheers

Auzzie turner
1st July 2006, 12:28 AM
I think that since you are only going to be turning smallish items, I think you should go for the Vicmarc 100, I have the 120, and it can handle anything, from the 500 wide platters, to the tiny finials on lids.

hughie
1st July 2006, 01:18 AM
[

Ive got the king of lathes
The MIGHTY C'Tec MC1100 :D

Dazzler,
I to have the MC1100, although it is muchly altered from orginal.
On it I run Supernova2's three of them and find them to be all thay say they should be.
So from my point of view as an owner of said Kings of all Lathes :p
go fOr the the SN2

hughie

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st July 2006, 01:19 AM
Good start, Dazzler. It'll happily work with any of the chucks mentioned so far, except for the budget job. ;)

The SN2 would be the most versatile overall.

Gil Jones
1st July 2006, 02:15 AM
VicMarc 100 or 120. They are very well made!

Cliff Rogers
1st July 2006, 01:44 PM
Try for a nova precision midi if you can find one with the correct thread.
It is better quality than the cheapies.

The SN2 or the Vicmarc 120 or 140 would be too big for that lathe.

rsser
1st July 2006, 03:19 PM
Wouldn't the equiv of the VM120/40 be the Teknatool Titan?

And of the VM100, the SN2?

The plus with Teknatool is that almost all of the jaws fit other models, whereas if you go VM90/100 and then upgrade to the 120/40 you have to shell out for new jaws.

Cliff Rogers
1st July 2006, 05:07 PM
Wouldn't the equiv of the VM120/40 be the Teknatool Titan?

And of the VM100, the SN2?.....
Probably are... I have a couple of SN2s & a couple of VM140s.
I didn't mean that they were the same, just too big for that lathe.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st July 2006, 05:56 PM
I'll disagree. IMHO the SN2(VM100?) are fine... I've had no problems with mine, anyway. I mainly use the SN2's powergrip jaws (same as VM's shark-something jaws?) for my goblets and the bearings show no signs of float. [phew!]

The Titan, and I assume the VM140, is another matter.

rsser
1st July 2006, 06:24 PM
Ditto ... ran a VM100 fine in the old MC900. So I'd agree than an SN2 would be fine on an 1100.

Nova Spigot jaws are I think similar to VM shark jaws. Powergrips are a diff proposition.

rsser
1st July 2006, 08:10 PM
Back again Dazzler, after a bit of reflecting.

Yes, you're right, you need to be clear about what turning you will be doing.

A chuck is just a vehicle for some jaws, which are just a vehicle for holding a lump of wood.

So what size wood (ahem, apart from a 90kg lump!) and what do you want to make of it?

The teknatool site is the best I know of with info on jaw and chuck applications. Well worth a wander through:
www.teknatool.com

Even if you don't buy from them you'll get good info on applications and limits.

dazzler
2nd July 2006, 10:58 PM
Thanks All

Well I think I will go with a Teknatool 90mm G3 ($145).

It takes all the other jaws that teknatool make and is compatible with supernova and nova chucks.

Should suit my ability and my lathe At the moment.;)

Hope to turn some small decorative platters, some small lidded boxes, drawer pulls for my furniture and my 10yo wants to turn some chesspeople.

And late at night, when i dream, that 90kg burl will become a vase:p

cheers

dazzler