PDA

View Full Version : Jewellery Box

Bully4
1st July 2006, 06:42 PM
This is a jewellery box I made recently for my wife. It is Huon Pine and Red Cedar...I have since added a ring holder in the front left hand section using foam rubber bottom, with foam backing rod covered with felt. I am fairly pleaseed with the result, given it was the first one I ever made...

I have since made three more boxes and have two currenlty on the go... will post these as well....

Bruce

martrix
1st July 2006, 06:50 PM
This is a jewellery box I made recently for my wife. It is Huon Pine and Red Cedar...I have since added a ring holder in the front left hand section using foam rubber bottom, with foam backing rod covered with felt. I am fairly pleaseed with the result, given it was the first one I ever made...

I have since made three more boxes and have two currenlty on the go... will post these as well....

Bruce

Very nice box! What finish did you use, and where did ya get those lovely Quadrant hinges?

Bully4
1st July 2006, 06:54 PM
I used ORGANOIL Hard Burnishing Oil.... Painted on, then left to dry, then another coat after that.

The hinges....well they are just from Bunnings.... yes, Bunnings!!! They have a pretty good range of brass fittings surprisingly enough.

Sculptured Box
1st July 2006, 07:25 PM
What a great way to introduce yourself to the Box Makers Forum - Welcome!
Congratulations on presenting a fine piece of work!

Tony Ward

zenwood
1st July 2006, 08:11 PM
Interesting use of high-contrast woods, and 3-dimensional dovetails look great. I've got a pair of those hinges I bought ages ago, and haven't yet been game enough to use them. Any hints on installation?

BobR
1st July 2006, 08:55 PM
Very nice work Bruce. Like the design and choice of timbers.

RufflyRustic
1st July 2006, 09:28 PM
Hi Bruce,

Welcome to the forum and the world of boxmaking - fun isn't it :)

Beautiful box there, lovely contrast. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

cheers
Wendy

TTIT
2nd July 2006, 12:16 AM
Nice looking box Bruce. :D Interesting usage of the dovetails and contrasts.

Very good way to introduce yourself on the forum. Welcome! :)

Wardy
2nd July 2006, 08:12 AM
Welcome:) and congrats on a great looking box.Those quadrant hinges are a joy to fit. Looking forward to your other creations.
Cheers Wardy

DPB
2nd July 2006, 09:52 AM
As the others have said - welcome!

I'm always interested in the inspiration behind a design. Is this yours?

Keep up the fine work and keep posting.:)

Bully4
3rd July 2006, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the wonderful compliments.

zenwood....my advice is to go slow when chiselling out for the quadrant hinges...and make sure your holes are deep enough for the stays.

DPB...yes, the design was mine. I love the contrasting colours of the timber showing through on the dovetails. I was only limited by the fact that I bought one of the Huon Pine box kits at the Working with wood show, so that was my only restriction.

All the dovetails were hand cut....well....with the help of a Veritas Dovetail guide and a Japanese razor saw!