PDA

View Full Version : Silvertop burl

steamer
1st July 2006, 09:22 PM
:confused: G,day all,i have a couple of silvertop burls,that are 900 round and 60 ml thick,and are 5 years dry,the problem i have is removing the bark off the edge of burl without damaging the edge.
Is there a easy way? Cheers steam.

Slow6
1st July 2006, 09:27 PM
I've been told a high pressure water gun will do the trick.

never tried it tho.

edit: oh and welcome :)

Auzzie turner
1st July 2006, 09:31 PM
Hey those burls sound good, hope they work out. I've never seen this wood before. What is the bark like? if its like camphor, you could just lift it off with a chisel, but if it is syuck on try with the chisel, and then use either high pressure water or air (or mix of both),

Anyway welcome to this very helpful forum,

Regards........Joash:)

steamer
1st July 2006, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the idea,some of the bark falls off when i knocked it with the hammer,but other parts are stuck fast might have to pull the karcher pressure cleaner out of the shed. Cheers steam:)

Rowan
2nd July 2006, 10:01 AM
Soak the whole thing in water for a week or two then get onto it with high pressure. The soaking will soften the bark and "normally" the stuff will just peel off under pressure.

ubeaut
2nd July 2006, 10:32 AM
I take it you are talking about Silver top ash, yellowy colour with circular deep red/black resin veins. If so..........

Be warned, that stuff can make your nose bleed, your eyes feel like they are going to pop out of their sockets, your breathing hard, your chest feel like it's been kicked by a horse and can just about knock your head off with the dust and fumes. http://www.ubeaut.biz/flu.gif

Probably doesn't affect everyone like that but it does the great majority. It's one of the nastiest timbers (burls) I have ever turned and I've turned some doozies in my time.

Don't turn it - Burn it.

Cheers - Neil http://www.ubeaut.biz/drop.gif

steamer
2nd July 2006, 09:11 PM
Thanks Neil for the information,i cut one in half the other day,but no
effects but will be more cautios after reading your piece.
The colour of these burls are bright yellow with black/brown circular swirls.
Cheers Steam:D