PDA

View Full Version : vacuum chuck setup

TimberNut
3rd July 2006, 12:25 PM
I have just sourced a couple of compressors from commerical fridge setups that a mate has wired up for me. Now to source parts for the rest.
I'm looking for suppliers (cheap of course!!) to rig up something like this. Borrowed this picture from a US web site).

I have the compressor and can make a decent housing for it. I can put an inline switch in easy enough to get ON/OFF mounted next to other lathe controls.
I need to source (as best I can figure) -
Vacuum Gauge
Bleeder Valve
In Line filter
Braided hose?? (whatever won't collapse and reduce vac pressure)

I'm going to get a Vicmarc Vacuum Chuck so it's gotta connect to this somehow. Also, I'm considering using that setup for a vacuum press for veneering.

I've absolutely no idea how much vac pressure these compressors run at, but my mate said a gauge rating 0 -15psi (negative) would be about right. I just checked the conversion to inches of Hg for that, and apparently 15psi = 35in Hg
If the pump can sustain that, then I should have enough pressure (better get a decent bleeder valve I guess). The US pic shows a gauge that goes to 30in Hg, and I presume that'd be enough but I'm no engineer so advice on this would be appreciated. Just consider that vac pressing for veneering is also anticipated for this setup, and I don't know what pressures I'll need for that side of things either.

My mate suggested rigging it up so that the compressor cuts in/out at whatever pressure I dial in, rather that just bleeding out excess vac pressure. Not sure what items would be required for that bit, but I'll consider it if it doesn't blow the budget too much (why not go for a Rolls Royce setup, huh?!!)

Any ideas where to source these parts easily (and cheaply!!)

I have budgeted about $100 for this (chuck not included) so hopefully I'll get in under that, but I don't want to just cobble a bodgy setup (got enough of 'em round the shed already!!!).

I will post pictures for others to reference when I get it set up.

hughie
5th July 2006, 10:56 AM
TimberNut]I have just sourced a couple of compressors from commerical fridge setups that a mate has wired up for me. Now to source parts for the rest.
I'm looking for suppliers (cheap of course!!) to rig up something like this. Borrowed this picture from a US web site).

I

Timbernut have a chat to Gil as he has a fair bit of info on the subject matter. hughie

Gil Jones
5th July 2006, 02:32 PM
TimberNut, check your PM.