PDA

View Full Version : SWMBO's workbench

Harry72
3rd July 2006, 07:50 PM
Made this a couple years ago when I first started to get into WW, only just got around too putting a finish on it.
There's plenty of mistakes on it... just look at the rear picture you can see a biscuit been cut through!:p
Its made from all of the roof beams I replaced in the house after making 5 rooms into 1(never again, buy new house better idea!:o)
If you dont recognise the wood its oregon nail holes and all, frame is M&T'd, top and shelf are biscuit joined, its pretty large/chunky(weigh's way more than I can lift... ask my sore back) its about 2m long and 750mm wide, its quite tall at 1050mm but thats what SWMBO wanted(she's a chef).
Finish is sprayed on cabots polyU 2 coats.:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/ST170ish/woodwork/front.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/ST170ish/woodwork/rear.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/ST170ish/woodwork/draw.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/ST170ish/woodwork/pushhandle.jpg

doug the slug
3rd July 2006, 08:01 PM
nice looking unit harry, wouldnt fit in my kitchen though

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd July 2006, 08:13 PM
That's a nice bit of kit indeed, mistakes and all. Mistakes? Hell, they're just there to show it wasn't mass-produced in a factory, right? :D

Not that any factory job would have as much style...

Bluegum
3rd July 2006, 08:14 PM
Ditto harry looks really great from my angle mate. I would like something like that in our kitchen, but sadly it won't fit.

Al B
3rd July 2006, 08:16 PM
What a great Job! Harry, its a solid looking bench which should give SWMBO years of good service. Well done.

Mirboo
3rd July 2006, 08:18 PM
Excellent job Harry.

Bodgy
3rd July 2006, 08:53 PM
That looks great Harry. I love the look of Oregon, particularly recycled stuff. The holes and stuff up give it character. Doesn't it come up well? You can look at the figure for hours, in contrast to something like Maple which is just boring.

Well done, and a nice design too.

I only diverge from complete admiration on the finish. Sure, as a workbench it needs protection, but I would have done something a bit warmer - at least on the body, if not the top.

Great work tho.

zenwood
3rd July 2006, 09:51 PM
Beautiful looking unit, Harry. I love the look of oregon, and your finish is superb. The drawer pulls look good too.

BTW: shouldn't you have put Cabot's in a smaller font?;)

Jill
3rd July 2006, 10:48 PM
Great workbench, Harry! I was eager to see it, thinking it was a WOODWORKING workbench for your wife! Very nice job on it - I really like it, too.

Cheers,

Jill

workgoose
3rd July 2006, 10:55 PM
Great looking workbench Harry, what does your wife do or make on it? I like the drawer fronts and dovetails, and unless you point out mistakes people never see them. Anyway they set a piece apart from a storebought one. cheers Peter

Lignum
3rd July 2006, 11:05 PM
Great stuff Harry:D But dont you think its about time to send it back where it belongs:D In the workshop. It would be a terrific mobile bench for your tools,:) not in the house just for food:rolleyes:

Harry72
3rd July 2006, 11:22 PM
Thats what its been used for the last couple years Lig!

TommyC
4th July 2006, 12:10 AM
WHat a cracker, Harry! i have 6 3m lengths of oregon under my carport that came out of my dear old mum's house when she reno'd it earlier this year...INSPIRED!!

Now, i will of course need a thicknesser, jointer, etc (my theory that every project needs at least one significant tool purchase:p )

RufflyRustic
4th July 2006, 10:01 AM
Wow - that's one great workbench! I bet you were glad to get the wheels on it. Has the Great Chef o' the House used it yet?

cheers
Wendy

AlexS
4th July 2006, 01:19 PM
Nice result and good reuse of timber.

Harry72
4th July 2006, 06:47 PM
Wow - that's one great workbench! I bet you were glad to get the wheels on it. Has the Great Chef o' the House used it yet?

cheers
Wendy
Not yet tonight maybe!

ss_11000
4th July 2006, 07:11 PM
brilliant work harry...

savage
4th July 2006, 07:41 PM
Beautiful work Harry!....:) I can't wait until I'm that gifted and can make mistakes like that!!..:eek: :D

Wardy
4th July 2006, 07:49 PM
that's gotta be worth at least a dozen candle lit dinners harry.;)fantastic effort.
cheers wardy :)