PDA

View Full Version : Glue and finishes

Nuggett
16th August 2002, 09:39 PM
Can anyone tell me what type of glue to use on pens? My WT club use superglue but I'm not convinced of its long-term holding power!
Any suggestions?
My other question is what finishes to use?

Thanks in advance

Brad

fxst
16th August 2002, 10:45 PM
tried the superglue method and while it works (sorta)problem bein the heat generated when buffin the (shella)wax it sometimes loosens the tubes. I prefer 5 min araldite or the longer curing one.
I tend to drill and glue one day and turn the next so speedy curing glues arent that important
Pet

KevM
16th August 2002, 11:27 PM
Nugget,
I have had no problems using superglue. I run the glue up the tube and then twist and insert slowly into the blank, I haven't experienced the problem of the tube coming loose like fxst(could be technique related).

Some of my friends use a lacquer either spraying, rubbing or brushing on. I use shellawax, much quicker to apply, but make sure you follow Neil's instructions. I sand down to 1200 grit, then followed by EEE-Ultra Shine and finally Shellawax-works a treat.

Kev

Tim the Timber Turner
17th August 2002, 10:24 AM
Ive made hundreds of pens using Weldbond. No problems. Its cheap and has plenty of open time.
I do sand the tubes first using 80g abrasive paper, this gives a rough surface to help with the Glue bond.

Cheers

Tim

------------------
Some days I turns thisaway, somedays I turns thataway and other days I don't turn at all.

Kev Y.
17th August 2002, 11:06 PM
so far I have used super glue and 5 min araldite, both appear to work just as well as the other.

as for finishing, I sand to 1500 then use eee and shelawax.

I have spoken to neil, and he suggested TWO coats of shellawax, leaving about 24 hours between coats.

I am considering also finishing with a coat of Traditional wax as well.

Kev.

[This message has been edited by Brudda (edited 17 August 2002).]