PDA

View Full Version : Need Suggestions???

lubbing5cherubs
5th July 2006, 06:50 PM
HI I don't know if you can help me here. I made my daughter a lidded dish for her hair ties to go in. SHe took it away with her and it came home and today she washed it. It cracked. I super glued taht up but now the lid won't fit on. Is there way to get that back on. I cut off the bit to rechuck it. Any ideaS? I told her it does not matter one I can make her new one but she wants taht one..need ideas
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th July 2006, 07:08 PM
It's nice to know your family really appreciates your work, eh? :)

Without knowing what you have to hand, I'd say this is a job for a jam-chuck.

Basically just a block of wood larger than your bowl, fixed to a face-plate or in the chuck. Drill a half inch hole through the middle, then cut a hollow in the face that the lid/bowl will fit snugly into. In effect, you'll be "jamming" the bowl into the hole.

Take your time getting it right. If it's just a wee tad too loose, masking tape or bits of s/paper can be used to "wedge" the bowl/lid in, although this is less than ideal. It's one of those things that seems hard at first, but becomes easier with practice.

Slow speed, light cuts and patience are the order of the day.

BTW, the 1/2" hole down the middle is so you can poke a dowel through the jam-chuck to gently tap the bowl back out. ;)

lubbing5cherubs
5th July 2006, 07:31 PM
It's nice to know your family really appreciates your work, eh? :)
Yeah it is

Without knowing what you have to hand,

I have a face plate that comes with my lathe, I have a nova g3 scroll chuck and the screwy thing taht came in the box that is all at this stage
thanks for trying to help me
Toni

rowie
5th July 2006, 08:02 PM
HI I don't know if you can help me here. I made my daughter a lidded dish for her hair ties to go in. SHe took it away with her and it came home and today she washed it. It cracked. I super glued taht up but now the lid won't fit on. Is there way to get that back on. I cut off the bit to rechuck it. Any ideaS? I told her it does not matter one I can make her new one but she wants taht one..need ideas
Toni
hi toni,:eek:
is it an inside fitting lid?
does the outside of the dissh/bowl curve towards the base, or are the sides straight?
Dale

lubbing5cherubs
5th July 2006, 08:03 PM
Hi Dale the edge is pretty straight with an insert lidded.

Toni

rowie
5th July 2006, 08:40 PM
Hi Dale the edge is pretty straight with an insert lidded.

Toni
if i am right, u have reglued the dish:confused: and cut off the top section which held the lid.
if what u need to do is to recut a rebate for the lid to fit into, and the sides are pretty straight
what u will do is:
as skew said attach a 1-2" thick disc to your faceplate which is about an inch or two larger in diam than the bottom of the dish.
turn a section out of the face of the disk that the dishes base will fit into.the deeper the better
To hold the dish securely while u turn a new shoulder for the lid to fit into u will use either hot melt glue or double sided tape.
just go easy when u start cutting.only light cuts.
hope it makes sense
cheeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrs

OGYT
6th July 2006, 01:19 PM
There's some shots of my Jam Chuck on this thread: (two different postings) :confused: http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=33052
You can maybe do the same thing with a little bit of altering. Make it so you can chuck it in your chuck, instead of mounting it direct to the headstock.:)
There are any number of variations to this. Just study the box, and alter the jam chuck to suit.
Hope this helps.