PDA

View Full Version : July Pen Swap

dazzler
5th July 2006, 09:00 PM
Hi All

I will be sending out the pen blanks for the July Pen swap on Monday 10 July. (meant to be earlier but I had the flu and a did a heartaledge ;) )

So far we have

FXST, Tassie Boy, Chrisb691, djstimber, fireman sam and Skewchidam.

There will be two blanks, one for yourself and the other for a pay it forward bank to be decided by vote a bit later. (gifts for a worthy cause)

(And no, myrtle burl will NOT be on offer - cheeky sod:p )

I will email everyone once they are on the way with further instructions!

Not too late to join for anyone else. Just send me a PM with PEN in the title.

cheers

dazzler

ss_11000
5th July 2006, 09:12 PM
pm sent

cheers

Sir Stinkalot
5th July 2006, 09:22 PM
Please explain the pay it forward bank again. :confused:

Fireman sam
5th July 2006, 09:38 PM
I was going to ask that too:confused:

Sir Stinkalot
5th July 2006, 10:14 PM
I was going to ask that too:confused:

You should have asked before you signed up Sam :D

dazzler
5th July 2006, 10:44 PM
Okay

A pay it forward is where you give me the pens and i open a pen shop and nick off to tahiti:D

or

we get them all together, decide to sell them and give the money to a charity, send them as gifts to old people or our soldiers in Iraq or whatever we decide.

So I figure we run this till say november and then have a vote on what to do with them.

cheers

dazzler

ps. If there are 10 of us over 5 months thats 50 pens at $10 a pen is $500 for a good cause.
(see, i did go to school)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th July 2006, 10:58 PM
ps. If there are 10 of us over 5 months thats 50 pens at $10 a pen is $500 for a good cause.

And an economy ticket to Tahiti costs... ? :p

ss_11000
5th July 2006, 11:03 PM
i'm sure there will be more than 10 ppl. there was in the original thread so if those ppl are still interested it would be better..

Tassie Boy
6th July 2006, 09:08 AM
Hahaha ooohhh no myrtle burl!!

well it will still be great fun.. Come on people sign up, after all its for a great cause( Dazzlers trip to Tahiti!!!)

Fireman sam
6th July 2006, 09:54 PM
even though i did not ask the question before signing up for the pen swap i thought it was a great idea to give the pens to a charity even the armed forces fighting over sea'' s and we should be able to spare a couple for dazzlers trip to tahiti ;)
Andrew

dazzler
8th July 2006, 11:01 AM
And Ill need some new ab's for the beach babes as well.....sheesh gonna need more pens:D

Any more takers...send me an email, they get bundled tomorrow

dazzler
8th July 2006, 03:50 PM
So far we have

FXST
Tassie Boy
Chrisb691
djstimber
fireman sam
Skewchidam
auzzie turner
ss100
lubbing5cherubs
and
Sir Stinky
and dazzler

I have sent out a couple of pm's to some i thought were interested. If I have missed you pls email me tonight.

cheers

dazzler

ss_11000
8th July 2006, 03:57 PM
so thats ten ppl then ( including dazzler )

should be good.

Fireman sam
8th July 2006, 06:03 PM
hay dazzler
I thought we would of a lot more to do the pen swap :confused:
Andrew

Sir Stinkalot
8th July 2006, 06:54 PM
I'm also in ...... but neglected :0

No not really ..... I have had a pm.

Tassie Boy
8th July 2006, 07:31 PM
Should be fun...!

dazzler
8th July 2006, 08:18 PM
Hey

So we now have eleven.

They are ready to go and there is a spare if a late comer wants to join.

A few blanks have been cut in half to get a good pattern. If you MUST have a whole blank PM me and I will make sure you dont get one of these.

cheers

dazzler

Toolin Around
8th July 2006, 08:27 PM
Okay

A pay it forward is where you give me the pens and i open a pen shop and nick off to tahiti:D

or

we get them all together, decide to sell them and give the money to a charity, send them as gifts to old people or our soldiers in Iraq or whatever we decide.

So I figure we run this till say november and then have a vote on what to do with them.

cheers

dazzler

I'm a little short of metals but if someone had some non-ferrous metal rods (Square or round 10mm x 200mm) they are willing to part with I'll turn a few metal pens for the cause.

ss_11000
10th July 2006, 07:36 PM
did ya get them sent out???

dazzler
11th July 2006, 08:15 PM
Hi

sorry i have been absent due to a modem failure. Blanks were sent out yestday so if there is a good southerly, the yardarm stays strong, deliveries should start arriving soon........aaaaay

ss_11000
11th July 2006, 08:54 PM
looking forward to it.....

also i should have checked my email before i asked anyway

DJ’s Timber
13th July 2006, 07:49 PM
G'day Follow Pen Turners

I have recieved my pen blanks
What a load of utter crap:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :eek: :eek:
No seriously they are some nice looking pieces
One looks like sassafras and a piece of what I think is celery pine
and a few little offcuts of celery and not sure on other 2 yet

Cheers DJ

dazzler
13th July 2006, 08:44 PM
G'day Follow Pen Turners

I have recieved my pen blanks
What a load of utter crap:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :eek: :eek:
No seriously they are some nice looking pieces
One looks like sassafras and a piece of what I think is celery pine
and a few little offcuts of celery and not sure on other 2 yet

Cheers DJ

CELERY PINE:eek:

Huon Pine baby, and the little pieces are myrtle.

Sassafras with a little blackheart on some of em:)

cheers

dazzler

Tassie Boy
13th July 2006, 08:52 PM
I received mine on Tuesday yep mine are huon and sassy with some little myrtle bits..

One question what the hell is HIPPOTIGRUS meant to mean???

chrisb691
13th July 2006, 08:57 PM
Got mine today as well. Had to google 'Hippotigrus' to find out what the theme was all about, bet Dazzler had a good chuckle when that was written on the instructions. As in <snort> <snigger> <chuckle>. :D

Now to make a plan for all the little bits, so I don't disappoint.

Tassie Boy
13th July 2006, 09:13 PM
So what does hipotigrus actually mean??????

dazzler
13th July 2006, 09:16 PM
Hippotigrus-----

Mother in law:confused:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th July 2006, 10:48 PM
A wallowing cow with a roar almost as bad as its' bite? Yeah... I'd say MIL fits the bill. :D

Still haven't got mine yet, but SWMBO went on hol's early in the week and I'm betting she just happened to clear the mail on the way. :rolleyes: I'll find out when she gets back... and then have to go through the "what's all this about then?" routine yet again. [sigh]

ss_11000
13th July 2006, 11:01 PM
haven't got mine as yet....prob get em tommorow or monday..

Sir Stinkalot
13th July 2006, 11:29 PM
I received my blanks today thanks Dazzler .....

I must admit I was a little confused ..... I thought the idea was to receive 2 pen blanks from one party and then send on 2 blanks of your own to another member. That way it would be a mystery who sent the blanks and what they would be ...... it would be great if you were able to send out a local timber so Tasmanians sent out Huon, Victoria red gum, WA Jarrah etc. It would also reduce the cost .... you must have spent a packet sending out all the blanks Dazzler.

Perhaps it may be something to consider for the future.

Thanks anyway .... now I have to think how to make best use of the blanks.

Stinky

lubbing5cherubs
17th July 2006, 05:24 PM
MIne arrived today.. Thanks Dazzler for setting this up
Toni

Skewpid
17th July 2006, 06:45 PM
Oooh . . this sounds like fun. Too late to join? Oh, and whats a pen swap? (holds up a bic to swap)

Rich.

ss_11000
17th July 2006, 08:42 PM
MIne arrived today.. Thanks Dazzler for setting this up
Toni

mine to.

thinking about the theme and got some ideas.

dazzler, the yellow blank would be huon, but whats the black/ dark brown one? is it sassafras?

are the little bits myrtle like the post below?

Fireman sam
18th July 2006, 06:10 PM
Mine arrived today thanks Dazzler :)
Andrew

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th July 2006, 10:25 PM
Ditto. :)

Wasted several pleasant hours this arvo in cuttin 'em up into lotsa tiny little bits. :eek: Guess I'll find out just how good my glue is tomorrow...

BTW people, if you're having any problems finding out what the hell a hippotigrus is, try looking up hippotigris. ;)

Tassie Boy
18th July 2006, 10:28 PM
Hope that glue works skewy:D
I still havent started yet:confused: :confused: :confused:

Tassie Boy
18th July 2006, 10:34 PM
When do they need to be done by??

dazzler
18th July 2006, 10:53 PM
Hi everyone,

sorry havent been around.

The yellow wood is huon pine, the olive brown is blackheart sassafras and the redder stuff is myrtle.

Just thinking for the next one do we get one person to send them out (cost $35 for the lot) or each send one out to someone else. I can put the list together detailing who sends to who.

Pens need to be done by the end of the month and uploaded as a picture in the first week of August.

cheers

dazzler

dazzler
18th July 2006, 10:55 PM
Oooh . . this sounds like fun. Too late to join? Oh, and whats a pen swap? (holds up a bic to swap)

Rich.

hey skewpid....not too late just send me an email with 'PEN' in the title with a postal address and I will get it sent off tomorrow.

cheers

dazzler

ss_11000
18th July 2006, 10:57 PM
i rekon we send out one or two blanks each.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th July 2006, 11:56 PM
Well... one thing I have plenty of is timber suitable for pen blanks. Nothing exotic, mind, but everyone knows a pen-turner can make a masterpiece from a punky piece of rotten wood that 'orrifies furniture-makers. :rolleyes:

So I'll tentatively put my hand up as next months supplier, provided I can work around the treasurer. :o

fxst
19th July 2006, 06:53 PM
Just thinking for the next one do we get one person to send them out (cost $35 for the lot) or each send one out to someone else. I can put the list together detailing who sends to who.
================================

I reckon each send one out to someone else. This would be a good way to go and would make it easier for those that are cash challenged to participate without fear of being unable to return the favour.
Pete (who only hears cash saying farewell):D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th July 2006, 07:13 PM
The main problem I can see there is that the blanks won't be "standardised." If everyone gets the same wood then it's a fairer contest across the board. But if one blokes gets pieces of Amarillo and Ebony (as if!) while another merely receives a block of clear sass or poplar...

I can see the money side being a concern though. It's not exactly a minor detail here either. :o

BTW, my glue worked fine (Thank God! I hate this weather...) and the pens are finished. :D Gotta wait another 3 weeks before posting pix? Damn, I'll have worn 'em out by then... ;)

chrisb691
19th July 2006, 07:21 PM
The main problem I can see there is that the blanks won't be "standardised." If everyone gets the same wood then it's a fairer contest across the board. But if one blokes gets pieces of Amarillo and Ebony (as if!) while another merely receives a block of clear sass or poplar...

I can see the money side being a concern though. It's not exactly a minor detail here either. :o

;)

I didn't realise it was a contest, I've been working on the basis that it would be a good learning experience for me. As well as a charity benefit.

In respect to getting better wood than someone else, please be advised that I am an equal opportunity pen turner. No matter how good the wood, it has an equal opportunity of being ruined by me trying to turn it into a pen. :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th July 2006, 07:31 PM
I didn't realise it was a contest, I've been working on the basis that it would be a good learning experience for me. As well as a charity benefit.

In respect to getting better wood than someone else, please be advised that I am an equal opportunity pen turner. No matter how good the wood, it has an equal opportunity of being ruined by me trying to turn it into a pen. :D

Poor choice of words, perhaps, it's not like there's any prizes attached! But I am looking forward to seeing what ideas others come up with for the same timbers/theme. Who knows what ideas I'll steal... errmm.. borrow... errmm... attempt to emulate. ;)

Skewpid
19th July 2006, 07:43 PM
There will be two blanks, one for yourself and the other for a pay it forward bank to be decided by vote a bit later. (gifts for a worthy cause)

Ok .. as a "newbie", just wanna get this right.

You send us two blanks .. one we keep for ourselves, and the other is either sold/donated/sacraficed or whatever we decide collectively at a later date? (yes, after we spin em into pens)

Do I send anyone anything???

And this must cost you a little bit of $$ Dazzler, can I reimburse you for postage? or .. something ????

Anyway, as I said .. new to this, just wanna make sure I do the right thing:p

Tassie Boy
19th July 2006, 08:54 PM
Well tonight i had no sport so i started my pens...
I too like Skewy have cut them into itsy bitsy pieces and have glued em' back together..
Again like Skew my glue held fast and i have finished one pen.....
Now for the next one....

Fireman sam
19th July 2006, 09:36 PM
Hi all
If we go the way of sending two blanks to one person Eg i send two blanks to skew then next time i send the same blanks to dazzler how do you think this will work. :confused:
Andrew

Sir Stinkalot
19th July 2006, 11:19 PM
Ok how about this .....

For the next swap Dazzler emails each person on the list with the postal details of another random member on the list.

You select two blanks and send them to this member to make the pens, (one to keep, one for fund raising) as per the first month.

The next month Dazzler send out another random name and we again send off two NEW blanks.

If you are a generous person the blanks that you send out would be the same quality blank that you yourself would like to receive, that way there will be high quality blanks floating around.

Alternatively you may send out ratty blanks yourself and receive some great blanks in return. Its up to yourself which way you feel comfortable approaching this one.

It is understood that not everybody has a goldmine of quality blanks lying around so it would be a best you can do situation. Again if it is a blank you would be happy to receive then the recipient will also be happy.

As to it not being "standardised" that shouldn't be an issue, perhaps if it were a competition (which I didn't think that it was) there could be a grading system which will reward a lower feature blank turned well over a figured burl which has been butchered.

To make up to Dazzler for sending out the first round perhaps we could each send him two blanks in addition to the random member.

Just some food for thought.

PS: It looks like we are all cutting up the blanks ...... I hope they don't all turn out the same. ;)

ss_11000
19th July 2006, 11:31 PM
sounds good stinky

Fireman sam
20th July 2006, 04:33 PM
I agree with sir stinkalot :)
Andrew

Skewpid
20th July 2006, 04:46 PM
Good idea Stink.

Oh and Dazzler, got blanks today (thanks mate).. never sliced up wood to make a pen before, only been doing pens for about a month! .. This should proove to be very interesting. Oh and forget my last post .... I get it now:rolleyes:

dazzler
20th July 2006, 08:35 PM
Hi All

well things seem to be going well.......

only concern with everyone sending to everyone is that it is fare easier to just say

"Ok S%###......why havent you send out the blanks yet:confused:

rather than a number of "wheres mine, bills got his" etc

The costs all work out the same in the end I spose coz the same number get sent out overall..

good luck everyone

dazzler

ss_11000
20th July 2006, 09:39 PM
The costs all work out the same in the end I spose coz the same number get sent out overall.
dazzler

yeah but its a bit easier to find about $4 every month rather than $35 all in one go, also i thought this was only running for a few months or so ( see daz's earlier calculation ). so not every one would have to send out $35 worth of postage....

dazzler
23rd July 2006, 01:00 PM
Can I make an executive decision on a forum??:confused:

I've got a big desk andam wearing a black suit so I will.:p

Seeing as we only have 4 months of swaps left I have decided, not even gunna think, that we stick to the one person sending the blanks out for the rest of the year.

So skew has Augusts. What I am after is volunteers who can afford $35 for the cause to volunteer for Sept, Oct and November.

See how it goes and if others come on board, which I hope will happen, and then in the new year if it keeps going we can organise a much fairer system.

I am building a new house, developing a new business plan and feeding swmbo copious amounts of chocolate to keep the baby growing, so will not have the time to dedicate to running a more involved delivery process.

We each live different lives with different responsibilities so its no biggie if you cant justify the cash. So any volunteers for those months would be greatly appreciated.

I have finished my first stripey horse......not sure if its good or not:rolleyes: ....we have to wait

cheers

dazzler

Fireman sam
23rd July 2006, 04:49 PM
I have had a talk with the treasure and i will do one month of sending out the blanks :p
Andrew

dazzler
23rd July 2006, 04:51 PM
I have had a talk with the treasure and i will do one month of sending out the blanks :p
Andrew

thanks Andrew....youve got september mate

cheers

dazzler

DJ’s Timber
23rd July 2006, 04:58 PM
I will do October if you want

Cheers DJ

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd July 2006, 05:11 PM
OK. So now Mr. Executive will have to pull his finger out and send off a mailing list... :D

The real question is... will we be continuing with "themes?" And if so, who gets stuck with choosing 'em? My mind's a blank... and I'm working very hard to keep it that way. ;)

lubbing5cherubs
23rd July 2006, 05:43 PM
Hi I will make another suggestion. I don't have a lot of wood yet to do the sending, but if you have heaps of wood that you like to share. I could sponsor you and bank money accross to help out
Just a thought
Toni

lubbing5cherubs
23rd July 2006, 05:44 PM
Our pen is due when again?
Toni

Tassie Boy
23rd July 2006, 08:08 PM
End of July they have to be finished .. then wen august comes you post the piccies

ss_11000
25th July 2006, 05:39 PM
sorry guys...i stuffed up both pen blanks:( :eek: . i tried something new with both and they looked brilliant, untill:

the first one broke while sanding.....
and the second snapped while turning (taking the final cut, then i went slightly to far:( )so you all know how we give pens to dazzler or a good cause at the end, i've decided since, i stuffed up these pens i'll make some keyrings ( from the offcuts) up to use for the sale bit thingy

oh well, thats the end of my shed time today:(

i'll post piccies of the stuff up when august roles around:)

hope you other guys are'nt having troubles:)

lubbing5cherubs
25th July 2006, 05:49 PM
Awwe Mate not cool.
bye Toni

fxst
25th July 2006, 06:01 PM
been a bit crook so havent started but hope to get em done in the next couple days :(
Pete

dazzler
25th July 2006, 06:50 PM
Well my five minutes of wearing black with my big desk has failed.

Due to my computer crashing last week I have lost all addresses so cant give them to Skew.:o

How do you want the addresses Skew.....PM or Email:confused:

sorry guys and gals

dazzler

rowie
25th July 2006, 07:08 PM
i can donate blanks how many do u want?

rowie
25th July 2006, 07:13 PM
Hi I will make another suggestion. I don't have a lot of wood yet to do the sending, but if you have heaps of wood that you like to share. I could sponsor you and bank money accross to help out
Just a thought
Tonii can supply the blanks free of charge for a month if need be;)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th July 2006, 08:46 PM
Well my five minutes of wearing black with my big desk has failed.

Due to my computer crashing last week I have lost all addresses so cant give them to Skew.:o

How do you want the addresses Skew.....PM or Email:confused:

Sorry to hear that, Dazzler, it's a right PITA innit?

As I usually drop into these forums for an hour or two every day, it's probably easiest for any participants to PM me their mailing details. I'd best go flush out my inbox... :rolleyes:

chrisb691
25th July 2006, 09:17 PM
sorry guys...i stuffed up both pen blanks:( :eek: . i tried something new with both and they looked brilliant, untill:

the first one broke while sanding.....
and the second snapped while turning (taking the final cut, then i went slightly to far:( )so you all know how we give pens to dazzler or a good cause at the end, i've decided since, i stuffed up these pens i'll make some keyrings ( from the offcuts) up to use for the sale bit thingy

oh well, thats the end of my shed time today:(

i'll post piccies of the stuff up when august roles around:)

hope you other guys are'nt having troubles:)

Sorry to hear that, but I have to say that it makes me feel a bit better about my efforts. Both my pens got a small crack in a thin section of Huon. It wont show in the photos, but I'm not comfortable sending either out for the charity part of the swap. So, if no one objects, I'll send out one I prepared previously from a different blank.

ss_11000
25th July 2006, 09:27 PM
Sorry to hear that, but I have to say that it makes me feel a bit better about my efforts. Both my pens got a small crack in a thin section of Huon. .

thats what happened to my first one, the huon bit on the sas split then broke off.

as to sending out a dif pen, i got no objections,

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th July 2006, 09:43 PM
Yeah, Huon's not one of the easiest timbers to use for pens, so I have no complaints if something else is substituted after a problem. Provided the theme of "hippotigris" is kept up, though... Come to that, I'm open to suggestions for next month's theme; assuming we have one. Any votes for or against a theme? If for, any suggestions? :confused:

Oh... and a couple ofl tips about using Huon; as you already know (or are about to find out) it's a very soft wood. This means it'll mark easily even after the pen has been turned. :( So look after the charity pen once you've finished it, at least until we get around to mailing off! You can toughen it up a bit, by giving it a finish of CA. (Cyano-acrylate, AKA super-glue.) Apply it on the lathe like you would for Shellawax, but using a bit of plastic bag instead of a rag. Oh... and stand well to one side when applying, unless you like wearing it! It's best to experiment with applying it to scrap pieces first... it can be tricky finding the right type of plastic bag and working out how much CA you should be applying. ;)

Finally: please PM me your mailing details if you wish to participate in next month's round! New participants welcome...

Fireman sam
25th July 2006, 09:52 PM
I vote no theme
I have not turn my pen yet . Raining here no work tomorrow do them tomorrow when i go to the shed :cool:
Andrew

chrisb691
25th July 2006, 10:07 PM
I have no complaints if something else is substituted after a problem. Provided the theme of "hippotigris" is kept up
Bugga....back to cutting up pieces. But it has been a good learning experience.

Come to that, I'm open to suggestions for next month's theme; assuming we have one. Any votes for or against a theme? If for, any suggestions? :confused:
Judging by the way Stirlo and I have gone this time, how about the theme being that the pen can actually function when we've finished it? :D

as you already know (or are about to find out) it's a very soft wood.
Yeah, I found that out. Found that the chisel was scooping out the huon, when it came off the Sassafras. I found that I had to take very light cuts, and really concentrate on not letting the chisel move forward. There must be some technique to handle this situation. Any advice?

Thanks for all the other pointers.:)

ss_11000
25th July 2006, 10:28 PM
Judging by the way Stirlo and I have gone this time, how about the theme being that the pen can actually function when we've finished it? :D
:D :D :D

thanx alot skew, i'll keep em in mind for the keyrings.

one thing i found out ( and u mentioned ) is that huon gets wrecked. the huon on my sas peice turned greyish after i wet sanded it ( wont be doing that again )... so thanx for the tips mate, keyrings will hopefully turn out good.

as for the theme, i rekon we should keep it because each person will think of different things about the theme and will turn something that might be different and give others ideas for future pens. also i rekon it would be more fun with the theme, just i cant think of any right now.

bdar
25th July 2006, 10:38 PM
Chris use a very sharp skew chisel and light cuts and take your time. Skew have you tried using the blue workshop paper towel, run my lathe on the slowest speed, works a treat. A mate in the States runs his Jet on the second slowest speed and applies it with towel as well. You are right in finding the right amount of CA though. I use 2 thin and 2 medium, my mate uses 3 thick coats of CA.
Darren

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th July 2006, 11:17 PM
one thing i found out ( and u mentioned ) is that huon gets wrecked. the huon on my sas peice turned greyish after i wet sanded it ( wont be doing that again )... so thanx for the tips mate, keyrings will hopefully turn out good.

Ahhh... yes. That's another one I should've mentioned. Wet-sanding Huon when it's laminated to another timber is not a good idea. :o

I've found that simply using EEE (before the final finish) can cause similar discolouration if you haven't sanded down beyond 600 grit. At around 800 grit and over, though, EEE works just fine. I think it's caused by the "slurry" being caught up in the coarser scratches and the contrast between the two timbers makes it so much more noticable. I expect the same thing actually happens with other timber mixes, it's simply not as "in yer face."

Huon's a lovely wood to carve, smell and caress... but gimme good ol' redgum or similar for pens anytime! :D

So, on to my sig for the next few weeks (I know I'm gonna get sick of seeing it soon! :rolleyes: ) :

Please PM me your mailing details if you wish to participate in next month's round! New participants welcome...

Tassie Boy
26th July 2006, 09:01 PM
I have finished both pens..
Both are of segmented design..
First one had no troubles at all...

Second one ..... piece of huon split while gluing up but i was able to hide it under the clip so you cant see it....
I will be sending the good one to dazzler tho..
Cheers

lubbing5cherubs
28th July 2006, 09:48 AM
Is this pens suppose to be a segmented pen? Mine aren't ....Uhoh. Also Dazzler can I get you to PM'ed you address again; my letter is got lost when I open it.
I have not done real well with keeping to the theme because I did not really understand what it is. But I did make myself stretch out and learn something new. I just aimed to the best I possible can. MY 2 pens are done with the lathe anyway. One is finished and built... the other will be built today.
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th July 2006, 06:15 PM
Getting close to August, folks! I'm looking forward to see what people came up with from those blanks. :) Thanks to Dazzler for getting the ball rolling.

OK, so far I have the mailing details for the following people:chrisb691 Fireman Sam djstimber ss_11000 Tassie Boy Lubbing5Cherubs Dazzler Skew ChiDAMN!!

If you're not on the list and you want to participate, PM me your mailing details!! I'll be keeping a few spare blanks after the initial mailing goes out, just in case... but they'll be limited. (Until I turn them all myself. ;) )

dazzler
28th July 2006, 06:15 PM
Hi all

Bugger about the failures :(

Dont get hung up on the theme. Its just a added taste to the month but not really an issue.

Hang on to the pens, we will collate them at the end of the year.

i now have my two zebras done:D ....one was very cantankerous:rolleyes:

dazzler

chrisb691
28th July 2006, 06:42 PM
Hi all

Bugger about the failures :(

Dont get hung up on the theme. Its just a added taste to the month but not really an issue.

Hang on to the pens, we will collate them at the end of the year.

i now have my two zebras done:D ....one was very cantankerous:rolleyes:

dazzler

Zebras??????? But I did 'Hippotigrus'. :D

Skewpid
28th July 2006, 09:14 PM
Ok guys .. I was a late entry .. not been turning long . . . now have 34 little pieces of timber, all glued up two days ago for two pens, and about to head downstairs to the workshop and see if 1) I can drill straight 2) The perkins paste holds 3) I dont get shrapnel from the spinning mass of bits.

Fingers crossed !!!:confused: :confused: :confused:

Rich.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th July 2006, 10:57 PM
Perkin's Paste? You mean that stuff is still around? The pink stuff, right?

I don't know how well it'll work on timber; plain old PVA would probably be better. But nothing ventured, nothing gained. :) Keep us posted on how it goes... you've piqued my curiosity!

Errmm... I trust you're going to use 15-min epoxy or CA (superglue) for holding the tubes in? Perkin's definitely won't cut it for that!

Skewpid
28th July 2006, 11:26 PM
Perkin's Paste? You mean that stuff is still around? The pink stuff, right?

But ... glue is glue right? *cheeky grin*

One pen down .. turned without flying off .. but this one is the wussy one, only 8 pieces to this one.

Next one has quite a few more bits ...at angles to boot!

Oh .. and is it just me, but Ive managed a third pen out of all the bits .. Well, two and two thirds, but would have done the full third pen if my wife hadnt have squished the 10mm square of Huon that was in me friggin pants, so Ive .. umm ... improvised. .. is that allowed??? .. Ill donate it .. promise;)

Rich.

Skewpid
29th July 2006, 12:16 AM
2 pens .. zero problems .. super chuffed ... dont care if they're the crappiest pens of the swap, simply happy with my own first attempt at veneered pens . .

Good luck gettin off me now... HA ! *just kidding*

Rich

oh .. bits from 2 pens now glued and awaiting triplets ?????? .. . what a happy daddy I is . .. ;)

lubbing5cherubs
29th July 2006, 12:23 AM
Good on you. It's a great feeling when you acheive something new. I know I was terrified when I read people had busted them. I took it real easy.
bye Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th July 2006, 12:26 AM
:)

I didn't have quite enough offcuts for a third pen, mores the pity, but if you've managed three then kudos to you! It means you get to keep two for your efforts.

I can't help but wonder... what was the other half doing in your pants to... no...no... don't answer that! :eek:

Skewpid
29th July 2006, 12:34 AM
Good on you. It's a great feeling when you acheive something new. I know I was terrified when I read people had busted them. I took it real easy.
bye Toni

Ditto dude! . . I read all the mishaps and .. fair dinkum . . had a coupla scotches whilst contemplating the drill n turn ! ..

All worked out ok though, opened up a whoooooooole new avenue, street, culdesac?? .. of spinnin for me though.

Skewpid
29th July 2006, 01:33 AM
:)
I can't help but wonder... what was the other half doing in your pants to... no...no... don't answer that! :eek:

I just... umm .. like huon ... gulp ...

lubbing5cherubs
29th July 2006, 10:26 AM
Skew your too funny. I like that. I agree but I love that sassafras he sent it gorgeous wood. I also bought some off Rowie and yep it nice stuff. I think anyway.
Toni

chrisb691
29th July 2006, 10:42 AM
I just... umm .. like huon ... gulp ...
Am I understanding this okay? You reeeaaalllly like Huon, so you keep a 10mm block of it in your pants. And it's got a 7mm hole in it. And....well...um....ah...

Oh well...if the cap fits.....:D

Skewpid
29th July 2006, 01:55 PM
No need to be jealous chris, I'd let you borrow it:eek:

GC
29th July 2006, 04:13 PM
Apply it on the lathe like you would for Shellawax, but using a bit of plastic bag instead of a rag. Oh... and stand well to one side when applying, unless you like wearing it! It's best to experiment with applying it to scrap pieces first... it can be tricky finding the right type of plastic bag and working out how much CA you should be applying.

great tip, still working out how much and what type of bag.
but looking better than previous attempts!!!! :o

GC

Fireman sam
29th July 2006, 06:35 PM
sorry guys but my brain went on strike and i only managed to put in one stripe the pens turned good no mihap:rolleyes: