PDA

View Full Version : garage framing questions

Pulse
5th July 2006, 09:10 PM
I'm busy designing a 7.5 wide by 11m long garage with a 6600mm garage door. I've got the bracing worked out finally and had a few questions:

1. What is the best short wall bracing system? I'll probably use structabrace by CCH in a 460mm wide format. The others seem to give low bracing capacities when used in narrow walls

2. What is the best lintel for a 6600mm opening? It is actually a gable wall, since purlins will rest on the side walls. I was thinking of getting a truss made up since the load will be small.

3. How many jamb studs for my opening? AS1684.2 supplements only go up to 4500mm. Do I need to get an engineer to certify plans for larger openings? I was thinking of 2 full lengths and 2 secondary (90x45) just to keep them happy.

4. Oh and one last question... the whole site is over an old council sewer which they wil replace (at my cost) if i want to build over it. This will make it a filled site. Are they likely to want an engineer to certify the waffle slab or do you think a class H design as per AS2870 will do??

Cheers
Pulse

thebuildingsurv
6th July 2006, 09:47 AM
1 Bracing with structabrace should be fine however it will exceed 9 m spacing as required by TFM. Doubt inspector or certifier will worry as long as back wall is cross braced.

2. Gable wall lintel if it is a truss roof will only need to be small there is a table in TFM for lintels in non loadbearing walls

3. Should be more than adequete if truss roof.

4. Probably need engineers design for slab but you could submit it and see what happens. If clad structure with tin roof, the might not worry.

cheers

Ivan in Oz
6th July 2006, 10:29 AM
G'day Pulse,

When I've done any Reno or Construction
I found what always worked for me
Was to ask the Local building Inspector:D
"How He'd like it done, also what options would he agree to, or consider"

I just stayed on his good side.
Others just wanted to prove him wrong:eek:
they ended up regretting their choice.

OK!!
I Sucked up a Bit:o :eek:

Garage is 9M x 7.5M PLUS a 3M awning along the 9M side.
Most useful:) :)

ausdesign
6th July 2006, 11:42 AM
Sorry Pulse but the lot should be handed over to a structural engineer.
The gable end lintel could possibly be accomodated by an LVL beam.........
but as for the rest - no

Pulse
6th July 2006, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I had actually planned a small (450mm ) wall half way to overcome the 9m rule. I'll probably liase closely with the council since they will be doing the filling over the sewer which will probably be engineer supervised. The truss people should be able to help me with an appropriate lintel hopefully, I'll keep everyone posted.

Cheers
Pulse

mmoretti
10th July 2006, 12:19 PM
How much is the garage costing you? i'm looking to build a garage too
cheers

Pulse
10th July 2006, 08:28 PM
more and more every day....

guess is $3000 for slab (materials only), $2000 for timber, $1000 for door, $2000 for roof, $1000 to sheet inside, $1000 for lighting and other bits.

crap thats... $10K materials only

Cheers
Pulse

Tool-Horder
24th July 2006, 10:22 PM
My Advise after doing 27m X 7.2m "tool shed" with 1.8 verandah ..... definately rethink buget, especially on slab/reinforcment costs. Surprising how much concrete goes into edge beams / footings on filled sites.