PDA

View Full Version : Messy Woodfast Photo

Slow6
5th July 2006, 09:25 PM
Gday again :)

here's the old beast, well compared to the msl its a beast:o

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1462/dscf12030pw.jpg
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3915/dscf12062dj.jpghttp://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8666/dscf12101al.jpg

I've got the 3phase bits out of her. the old motor was 1hp at 1024rpm:confused:
I've noticed that in an 80 body motor the best it seems I can do is 1hp at 1400rpm (close enough)
but as soon as I want a 1.5hp the body, shaft and footprint change along with the revs doubling to 2800.

sooo.. it looks like a 1hp.. whattayareckon chums.. big enough?
I was thinking 2hp would be the minimum... buut what do I know.

I'll go for a google and see what I can find.

thoughts? ;)

ss_11000
5th July 2006, 09:30 PM
looks good but for rust.

looks a lot like the ones at school but a bit older and rustier and a few different features.

the ones at school i'm not sure of the horsepower but i know the speeds are 375 600??? 1200 2000

anyway enjoy and it looks like you will.

hth

Wood Butcher
5th July 2006, 09:30 PM
Great to see the Photos Slow.

It looks great! I can't see why a 1hp motor won't be sufficient unles you are planning on turning really big items outboard. My old man has the longer version of that with a 1hp motor. We've turned stuff 10" diameter x 28 "long of solid laminated hardwood without any problems.

Great find and have fun turning!!

Mulgabill
5th July 2006, 10:42 PM
Hey Slow6,

That's one solid piece of lathe and when assembled and cleaned up will serve you well for years. Unless your are going to turn large burls 1hp should be sufficient.

A bit different than the MSL-3815!!!!!!:D

rowie
5th July 2006, 10:57 PM
well done mate great buy!

RETIRED
6th July 2006, 12:02 AM
My big bugger runs 3 HP. The baby (only 3 metres) runs 1 hp , so I think 1 HP is more than sufficient.

TTIT
6th July 2006, 12:10 AM
Solid looking machine Slow!:D Can those things take a bed extension???

Can I be real nosy and ask how much it cost ya????

Slow6
6th July 2006, 12:25 AM
nah you're right ttit.. $600 mate, with a few hundred for a motor and switches it'll come in a bit cheaper than my defective msl3815 so I'm happy.

I'll miss the variable speed but I welcome the rust :)

Jim Carroll
6th July 2006, 09:41 AM
To get an idea of its age Woofdast generally stamped the manufacture date on the bed section at the tailstock end.

hughie
6th July 2006, 11:11 AM
Its all there I would not be to concerned about the rust it'l rub off :D

good one! hughie

Gil Jones
6th July 2006, 12:56 PM
Fine looking lathe!!

rsser
6th July 2006, 02:27 PM
Congrats.

Yep, 1hp is enough to do plenty of damage to a lump of wood, tho I wouldn't be happy with that max speed - esp if you're doing a lot of small/medium size spindle turning.

Slow6
6th July 2006, 03:40 PM
thanks guys :)

I wouldn't be happy with that max speed - esp if you're doing a lot of small/medium size spindle turning.

I think I should be able to get a new pulley set for the motor to solve that but I'll see how she goes a 1hp will be 1400 odd revs replacing the 1024 of the old motor so it'll be a tad quicker anyway.

any suggestions on brand of motor? I've had a look around bendigo to get an idea and noticed a couple of brands dont feel great when you give the shaft a spin. somebody segested a Weg as being solid but the 1hp was $350.. seems a tad high.

Slow6
7th July 2006, 09:02 PM
found a 1.5hp motor at 1400revs and the right $$ today so I grabbed it.

it'll take a bit of fiddling to get her in but I think it should work.

btw.. any tips on loosening a face plate from its thread that proves stubborn?
I keep laying on the oil every morning and have used all the persuasion I know of bar hitting anything with a hammer :D

heat maybe :?

Jim Carroll
7th July 2006, 09:58 PM
Use heat but only work on the outer edge of the faceplate and let it warm up the plate from there .
Work your way around the faceplate so it heats up evenly all the way round. You want to get it hot but not glowing so keep moving. Every now and then with the spanner on the flange of the faceplate give the spanner a decent hit.
With the oil you have already applied and the heat it should come of.

rsser
7th July 2006, 10:06 PM
What oil?

WD40 or equivalent? Penetrine?

Wot Jim said.

Maybe plus hammer and non-damaging grip on spindle.

And take time for 'oil' to do its work.

Slow6
7th July 2006, 10:57 PM
just oil oil Ern.. machine oil I think. I've been ladeling it on for a couple of days.

thanks Jim. I'll take the heat nice and easy.. and invest in a couple of good spanners, if I whack the 2mm thick ones that come with most machinery I fear it'll just make a mess of itself and the flange.

avagoodweekend guys :D

powderpost
7th July 2006, 11:12 PM
I bought the long bed version of that lathe in 1981, I still have it, in fact I have refused offers to buy it. Jim's routine to dislodge is correct, stay with that. I am surprised, woodfast supplied a very heavy cast spanner to fit the plates. My machine was supplied with a 1hp motor and I have found it more than adequate. The machine has done a hell of a lot of work and still has the original belt and bearings. Without checking a figure of $1100 come to mind for the bench mout model. Changing speeds was a pain in the bum because of the head stock design. Consequently most of the turning was done at one speed. My present machine is a 15 year old woodfast with electronic variable speed.
Jim

hcbph
8th July 2006, 04:30 AM
Slow

Regarding your stuck faceplate, here's an idea or two if the heat fails (or if it doesn't).

First off the obvious question, you're turning it in the correct direction to remove it, right?

If you use a strap clamp on the pulley's to hold them, you can take a piece of long wood and screw in onto the faceplate. You can use the wood like a handle/lever. Lock down the pully with the strap wrench tightly, then have a go at the wood and see if you can't pop it loose. If you have not been using penetrating oil, try working some into the thread area.

Good luck, hope it works.

Paul

Slow6
8th July 2006, 08:08 PM
To get an idea of its age Woofdast generally stamped the manufacture date on the bed section at the tailstock end.

waddayaknow 1975.. the year I was born.. I guess we were made for each other:D

thanks for the advice hcbph. I've yet to get it off but yes.. I'm turning it in the correct direction:p:D (although you made me check)

I put the motor in today.. it took a bit of persuasion (angle grinder persuasion)
but it went in ok and runs well.. 1.5hp is heaps I think.

it's a little noisier than I'm used to but it passed the 50c coin on the headstock test with flying colours at all speeds \o/

all thats left now is a new switch and she'll be in service. I've put a nice old cast iron power point where the old 3phase fuse stuff was at the front so I can plug in a sander directly from the lathe, I want to put a pull on-push off awitch next to that for the lathe itself but the only one I found was $150:eek: so I might do with a switch that I have lying around till I find something so suit. I think I've thrown anough money at it for now.

I think I'll just put her to use untill I give in and buy a variable speed motor from Jim and get a little time off to strip it back and paint her (foodfast green of course)

bugger.. I'm going to have to start posting pics of my turning now aren't I:o