PDA

View Full Version : Found another feature filler...

TTIT
5th July 2006, 11:55 PM
A mechanic mate gave me a little bottle of stuff to try called 'Filling and reinforcing powder' under the brand name of 'Q-Bond'. It's supposed to be for reparing cracks and holes in auto-plastics like dashboards etc. I don't know how it works but I won't be buggerizing around with epoxy and dye anymore.;) Apparently it comes with a bottle of glue (presumably CA) but I just tried it with thin CA and it's so cool :cool:. Easier to manage than metal powder as it's a bit coarser and sucks up thin CA like a sponge takes water:). Some sort of chemical reaction takes place as it gives of a little puff of smoke and it's done. Sands and polishes as good as any filler but the thing that impresses me most is the way it fills so thoroughly(Pic.2):D
Rough turned an egg from a new tree I picked up on the weekend and left it in the chuck to dry for a couple of days while I worked on other projects. Got back to it only to find it had started to crack - perfect chance to try the powder. Just filled the crack, dropped a few drops of CA on, left it an hour or so and sanded off - too easy (Pic.1):D
Pic.3 - Dead-finish with brass fill on left, Sandalwood with brass fill at right.
Pic.4 Anyone want to take a guess at the timber??:confused:? Glossy, round, fleshy leaf about 20mm across. Bubbly, cork-like bark. This tree is (still - only took a branch for now) about 5m high, trunk about 450mm thick, very stubby. Growing on my newest timber source at Alpha - all the Dead-finish, Emu apple, Sandalwood and Beefwood I can handle - What I don't take is going to be pushed next year:( so I intend rescueing as much as I can:D.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th July 2006, 01:44 AM
Hmmmm... nice googs. Call me old fashioned, but I reckon the brass looks brilliant in the darker woods.

I don't s'pose your mechanic mate mentioned the name of a Q-bond supplier? Looks like very convenient stuff. :)

RETIRED
6th July 2006, 09:23 AM
http://www.totaltools.com.au/Stores/default.html?sesid=539514dfa4d7a20e64c70bca38d61a95

hughie
6th July 2006, 11:10 AM
Nice one! it did the job very well.

I suppose you could always dust it with the brass powder as it goes off.

The main question is what is the cost. There many got compounds out there but many are cost prohibitive. I see they also sell 12ml CA size bottles I will have to drop in and have a look at this. Thanks for the tip.
hughie

TTIT
6th July 2006, 03:26 PM
Hmmmm... nice googs. Call me old fashioned, but I reckon the brass looks brilliant in the darker woods.

I don't s'pose your mechanic mate mentioned the name of a Q-bond supplier? Looks like very convenient stuff. :)

My mate's boss buy's it from the Snap-On guy so I don't know how much it costs or anything else about it. Mr Snap-On is through again in about 2 weeks so I'll catch him then and find out more - couldn't find it on their website.

Baz
6th July 2006, 06:06 PM
Costs about $8 and you dont get much powder so it seems pretty exy to me. It would be nice if the powder was available.I have tried it and it seems OK, bought it at our local hardware store.
Cheers
Barry

Toymaker Len
6th July 2006, 07:11 PM
Mmm... Mulberry ?

TTIT
6th July 2006, 10:59 PM
Mmm... Mulberry ?

Nuh! - Definitely a native, leaf only about the size of a 10 cent piece. Going to take lots of pictures before I cut it down - if I remember - tend to get a bit single-minded with a chainsaw in me mitts!;):D

Caveman
7th July 2006, 01:06 AM
Hey TTIT - cool stuff - nice effect.
Being single-minded with a chainsaw in your hands is no bad thing - if ones mind starts wandering thats when it get gets dangerous. A mate of mine just suffered 15 stitches in his knee whilst cutting through a thin branch at the end of a days' sawing - he was lucky! Could have been a hell of a lot worse.

La truciolara
7th July 2006, 07:00 AM
TITT
On the pic where you have 3 eggs, the one on the left and the one on the right seems to have been dilled with brass. Did you mix brass powder to the product?
If so, i'ts real reat.
The egg on the center has a black finish, did you mix the product with some other powder?

TTIT
7th July 2006, 08:04 PM
TITT
On the pic where you have 3 eggs, the one on the left and the one on the right seems to have been dilled with brass. Did you mix brass powder to the product?
If so, i'ts real reat.
The egg on the center has a black finish, did you mix the product with some other powder?

La Truc' - you can see how the brass fill is done here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=28933). :) The black fill in the middle egg is just the color of the powder. Apparently it is also available in grey but I can't think of any timber that would look good with a grey patch!:(

Tassie Boy
9th July 2006, 09:46 PM
That new powder looks great .. the brass would look great in darker contrasting wood tho..
good stuff