PDA

View Full Version : roller guides?

PHD1
7th July 2006, 02:20 PM
i was wondering how roller guide work on tall vessels (say 15" or over). Does it help in stopping chatter when the vessels getts thin?
Happy turning

Auzzie turner
7th July 2006, 02:55 PM
What roller guides are you talking about? I have never heard of

"ROLLER GUIDES"

on the lathe

Mr Unknown
7th July 2006, 06:01 PM
are you talkin about the thing you attach to your lathe with like 4 skateboard looking wheels on it and you can adjust them to fit around the timber? If it is then yeah it should work, i used to use one when turning vernadah posts and it worked pretty good to stop vibration its just a bit of a pain cause you cant turn were the wheels are until later when u move it. I more commonly just used my hand to stop it vibrating and turn with one hand sort of.

cedar n silky
7th July 2006, 07:46 PM
are you talkin about the thing you attach to your lathe with like 4 skateboard looking wheels on it and you can adjust them to fit around the timber? If it is then yeah it should work, i used to use one when turning vernadah posts and it worked pretty good to stop vibration its just a bit of a pain cause you cant turn were the wheels are until later when u move it. I more commonly just used my hand to stop it vibrating and turn with one hand sort of.

You sound experienced Mr unknown!!
I had a day with a turner (One on one ) recently, and I learnt so much!!
He is a local, and did his trade as a turner. He had all the Teck work books from years ago, but he does pretty artistic and inovative stuff now! A lot of his early trade work was staircase banisters, four poster beds and traditional period furniture legs and you get pretty good on the skew when you turn out so many coves, beads and balls, and the like!
Best investment I have ever made to further my knowledge in wood turning!:)

TTIT
7th July 2006, 08:17 PM
i was wondering how roller guide work on tall vessels (say 15" or over). Does it help in stopping chatter when the vessels getts thin?
Happy turning

Check out this link (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=48722&cat=1,330,49238) PHD - right in your backyard (so to speak). I started out with a home-made lathe with a flimsy 1/2" shaft so any sort of vessel at all would chatter if I didn't use a steady:o. Beats the hell out of wearing your fingerprints off trying to hold it!!! :D

Wood Butcher
7th July 2006, 08:47 PM
What you are after is a "center steady"
Have a look at this thread -
Anyone bought or made a "center steady for a lathe???? (http://woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=31078&highlight=steady)

Or I do have an article on making a steady, PM your email address and I'll get it out to you!

PHD1
8th July 2006, 01:23 AM
What roller guides are you talking about? I have never heard of

"ROLLER GUIDES"

on the lathe

Hey Joash, This is what i was asking about. Here is a link from some1 else. http://homepage.mac.com/mfoydel/PhotoAlbum4.html He is calling it a center steady rest.

rsser
8th July 2006, 02:20 PM
There is also a device called a bowl steady - one or two wheels that steady the outside of a bowl opposite the point you're cutting at.

Oneway have a schmick version but the design is easy to knock off. I built a single wheel version for $12. Worked until/unless your bowl goes out of round which is why the Oneway spring loading makes sense.

rodent
12th July 2006, 04:14 AM
a lathe steddy mmmm