PDA

View Full Version : How does Red Ash turn?

cedar n silky
8th July 2006, 10:06 PM
I went down to our hall this morning, as there was a teenage all night party there last night (they call them duffs). Ther was all these lovely rounds that they had been chucking on the fire and sitting on , and a fella there said it was red ash! I brought one home (pretty heavy at 400mm diameter) put the chainsaw through it and it looks good. I'm going down first thing to get the rest (about 6 or 8 big rounds) It had been a standing dead tree in the paddock for many years apparantly and pretty well dry!
Any experience out there with red ash? Pity most of it got burnt!! But maybe it's not that good to turn?
Cheers:)

chrisb691
8th July 2006, 11:43 PM
How does red ash turn?

Round and round and round and Round and round and round and round and
Round and round and round and Round and round and round and round.....

Sorry!! Just couldn't resist it. :D :D :D :D :D

TTIT
8th July 2006, 11:51 PM
Gimme gimme gimme!!!!:eek::eek::D:D Firewood - some people have no shame!:mad: My old man worked a fair bit of Red Ash in the Coffs area and reckons it was great. I have the last piece he had (about 400 x 800 x 50) and was saving it for something special. Grab the lot ya lucky bugger!:D

Gumby
8th July 2006, 11:52 PM
Sorry!! Just couldn't resist it. :D :D :D :D :D

I'm sorry you couldn't resist it too. :rolleyes:

:)

rowie
8th July 2006, 11:59 PM
a fella there said it was red ash! I brought one home (pretty heavy at 400mm diameter) put the chainsaw through it and it looks good.Any experience out there with red ash? Pity most of it got burnt!! But maybe it's not that good to turn?
Cheers:)
Red Ash(Alphitonia excelsa)aka Red Almond.

reeves
9th July 2006, 10:59 AM
its good, bit hard but nice, specially with some contrasting sapwood thats also pretty hard

Hickory
9th July 2006, 11:31 AM
Us deprived and depraved Northern Half WWers are ignorant of the beauty of your common woods so please post a picture of the finished project so we can drool.

Also I couldn't help but notice our White Ash and Green ash go round and round and round , etc. when We turn then as well, must be something in the ash or Just a smart ash to think of it. :-)

chrisb691
9th July 2006, 04:45 PM
Us deprived and depraved Northern Half WWers are ignorant of the beauty of your common woods so please post a picture of the finished project so we can drool.

Also I couldn't help but notice our White Ash and Green ash go round and round and round , etc. when We turn then as well, must be something in the ash or Just a smart ash to think of it. :-)

Do they go round and round in the opposite direction, like the water running out the plughole? :)

rsser
9th July 2006, 06:21 PM
Nice one Hickory!

English ash is good to burn, with a blowtorch to ebonise it.

cedar n silky
9th July 2006, 08:15 PM
Do they go round and round in the opposite direction, like the water running out the plughole? :)

Looks like I started someting here!! I should have said "how does red ash look after it's been on the lathe"!!
Any how I went down to the hall early AM with my daughter and loaded the back of the ute up with these lovely chunks, so i painted the ends, and they are in the shed!! I was hoping like hell that no one wanted to party on again last night and throw the remainder on the still hot fire!
I will post some pikies up when I get back in the shed- I'm off fishing for a few days at a place called Woody Head. Perfect for a woody like me!!;)

chrisb691
9th July 2006, 08:53 PM
"how does red ash look after it's been on the lathe"!!

Round in cross section. :D

Hickory
10th July 2006, 03:08 AM
I should have said "how does red ash look after it's been on the lathe"!!

Keeping up with the rude madness: It would look dizzy as it is going round and round.

Although I never seen Red Ash, I would assume it is similar to local White Ash and when turned it will still look like White Ash or in your case Red Ash. :eek:

reeves
10th July 2006, 08:23 AM
hey Cedar n silky, u live at Tuntable ?

nice spot first went there 20 odd years ago....

was up that way last year and i saw heaps of good usable woods lying around on the side of the road and in peoples wood piles...

seems the darn hippies maybe too stoned to tell whats crap firewood and whats good for use......i scored some old dark balckwattle, some western red cedar boards and some chunks of camphor, al headed for firewood, remeber if ya ever wanna trade fro some locla stuff here like sheok, rosewood etc, just PM me

anyways soundslike fun......post a pic when u ready and grab what u can..

do know gummy up on mT Nardi ?
hes a local wood guy

cheeeeeeeeers
john

cedar n silky
10th July 2006, 10:05 PM
hey Cedar n silky, u live at Tuntable ?

nice spot first went there 20 odd years ago....

was up that way last year and i saw heaps of good usable woods lying around on the side of the road and in peoples wood piles...

seems the darn hippies maybe too stoned to tell whats crap firewood and whats good for use......i scored some old dark balckwattle, some western red cedar boards and some chunks of camphor, al headed for firewood, remeber if ya ever wanna trade fro some locla stuff here like sheok, rosewood etc, just PM me

anyways soundslike fun......post a pic when u ready and grab what u can..

do know gummy up on mT Nardi ?
hes a local wood guy

cheeeeeeeeers
john
Hey John.
I like it up here! Yup Know Gummy, and yup I was lucky to save that wood from a fire. I once was asked to saw up this dead old tree for firewood for a lady, in a paddock near by, and I thought I'd hit it with the axe first, (as you do), and through the grey was a flash of the deepest red, I smelt the chip ,and it was red cedar!!:eek: I told the young lady it was #### firewood but good for my workshop, and replaced it with a couple of good ute loads of REAL firewood, and took home a ute load of the reddest most figurative cedar I've laid my hands on:rolleyes: Thanks for the offer John but I have a shed full of rosewood and plenty of she oak nearby, but I'll keep you posted on the red ash!:)

cedar n silky
10th July 2006, 10:07 PM
Hey John.
I like it up here! Yup Know Gummy, and yup I was lucky to save that wood from a fire. I once was asked to saw up this dead old tree for firewood for a lady, in a paddock near by, and I thought I'd hit it with the axe first, (as you do), and through the grey was a flash of the deepest red, I smelt the chip ,and it was red cedar!!:eek: I told the young lady it was #### firewood but good for my workshop, and replaced it with a couple of good ute loads of REAL firewood, and took home a ute load of the reddest most figurative cedar I've laid my hands on:rolleyes: Thanks for the offer John but I have a shed full of rosewood and plenty of she oak nearby, but I'll keep you posted on the red ash!:)
Woops i used the s---t word but luckily the administrator cut me off at the passas you can see by the 4####.
Better watch myself!!;)

reeves
11th July 2006, 04:24 PM
hey cool, thanks for the info cedar n silk, yeah its good up there way, i like the country and the culture....intersting story about the red cedar...
seems a lot of us get our woods that way...;-) uhh, its just wood.

I just scored some RC and good bluegum from the local tip....

a shed full of rosewood and sheok nearby, mmm u dont sound too badly off mate, is the sheoak the Fraserna or Torluosa ?

maybe if time i headed over the darn border again...

cheeeers
john