PDA

View Full Version : Paint brush box for arty pharty sis in Broome

Wild Dingo
9th July 2006, 01:54 AM
So with a few hours up my sleeve today I decided buggar the table I will finally get around to making the paint brush box Id promised my sis for her birfday (which like mine was back in Feb by the way :rolleyes: )

So this is what I ended up with...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid209/p64da62bba559e31620ea14cc44a256a1/ee1fed5c.jpg

Timbers used... scraps!! Jarrah top Banksia top sides Malaysian Sepiature sides Jarrah base Huon Pine feet... handle pillow Sassafrass paint brush Jarrah brush "hairs" Hickory veneer... I had intentions of making hinges for it out of Jarrah and Tuart but they just wouldnt do what I told them to do so I slapped hell out of them and tossed the idea... for now! I will probably have another go when I return cause they really did look the goods on this thing while the brass ones looked bloody shocking (cheep you know? yech!) so I will leave it till I return and make some more... mmm anyone have any idea of the "CORRECT" way of doing this?

Fingerprint curtesy of Aaron who was so taken by it he just had to pick it up and turn it over didnt he!! ah well theres more sanding to come so no problems ;)

The Sepiature when varnished comes up a high gold color with waves through it.... this pic doesnt really show it up as it is in real life but you can tell its a beauty! horrid stuff to work but comes up a treat :cool:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid209/p06ea4248dcfef1f72e92116a7f71b18f/ee1fd7a1.jpg

I also managed to get a start on another "old" promise this time a saddle rein and hat boot stand for my brothers hallway... managed to get the timbers thicknessed and cut to size and stacked away till I get back... while at it I also cut and shaped the top and bottom for the sheoak lazy susan that will go with the table (another thread entirely!) So all up a good day was had :cool:

Cheers!

Wood Borer
9th July 2006, 02:10 AM
Nice box Wild Dingo, your sister will love it.

Wild Dingo
9th July 2006, 02:22 AM
Well she actually wanted an easel but that would cost an arm a leg and two gronicles to get to Broome whereas this wont! and it will be a surprise which is most important for us arty pharty types :D

Cheers!

Sculptured Box
9th July 2006, 08:28 AM
Wild Dingo

Nice work, what size is it, with your paint brush handle are you becoming one of those arty pharty types?

No doubt it will be warmly received!

Tony Ward

Wild Dingo
9th July 2006, 01:37 PM
Gidday Tony
I rang my younger sis before I started (shes up there as well working at Malcom Douglass croc farm) to find out her largest brush size had to wait a few days before she could nick into Vickys santuary to have a look ;) seems her longest brush is 14in in length so...

The length is 16in width 4in depth 3in + under the curved lid... so more than large enough for her longest paint brush :cool: (minus the feet of course)

As to the wee paint brush... its part of what Im trying to establish sorta a personal touch thing each peice Ive created has had something that uniquely is about them... younger sisters flute had several pieces of Turquise inserted along its length and silver chain between the pillows it rets on when not in use... my younger sis is mad about Terquoise and silver... clocks all have something that says this is unique to me ie: a boats bell for a seaman and his wife a pair of women with a small dog for a gay couple who dote on their Cavelier King Charles dog... that sort of thing... just adds a special touch... and the paintbrush was so easy it was almost laughable how simple it was!! :D

Cheers

Sculptured Box
9th July 2006, 02:04 PM
G'Day Wild Dingo

To be sure, whoever receives an item of your work will treasure it as their own and pass it down with the same care and respect.

Well done
Tony Ward

TTIT
10th July 2006, 12:29 AM
Great stuff Dingo :D The personal touch on each item is a good idea.

:) I do believe this is the first time I've seen any of your work!:eek:

Someone did a post very recently of a box with wooden hinges :confused: but I'm damned if I can remember who. Intend to have a go at them myself 'one day';)

RufflyRustic
10th July 2006, 09:55 AM
Fantastic Shane!!! Love the handle!

Cheers
Wendy