PDA

View Full Version : After some knob profiles to download.

JDarvall
9th July 2006, 10:07 AM
Hi, I've got many little identical knobs too make....uno with the little tennon on the end. Not any longer than say 2".

I still haven't got around to getting a screw centre, so I'll be doing them between centres and just cut off. Maybe do half a dozern at a time, depending on whip I suppose.

I'm using just common gum, and am not overly experienced at turning identical pieces. I've done a few knobs the same, but I don't really have the time to markout and steady in a spindle gouge etc ...for the 30 odd knobs I'm going to make,

So, I'm going to scrape...... I'm just going to shape a profile into an old thick plane blade, grind the bevel to 70 degree's, and burnish at 10 degrees and just push the bugger in. :o

Anyway, I'm having trouble thinking up a good profile for the knob. Haven't really found anything I like. I was hoping I could download a picture somewhere, print it out, and just transfer it to my blade, and grind up to a line........Bit unromantic, but I haven't much time on this job.

So, anybody got any profiles they like I could use. About 1 and 1/2" to 2" long....doesn't have to be overly complex. Just a nice simple profile.

Thanks, appreciate any feedback.

:)

Hickory
9th July 2006, 11:39 AM
Sense you don't have a screw center as yet. You do have a faceplate (?) Doesn't it have a screw hole in the center of itself? Send a screw through that hole and into the piece of wood and turn away. Another though is that you might dull the edge of your skew on the face of the face plate so screw a sacrifice piece on the plate and then the (longer) screw through the center hole. In essence you will have a screw center with a wide flange.

By the way Use a pilot hole in the blank for the knob as it will most likely split out if you don't. Then use a matching screw to adhere the knob to the furniture piece.

rodent
9th July 2006, 12:15 PM
CDIE266.gi try this
(http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=26110&stc=1&d=1152407942)

rsser
9th July 2006, 06:26 PM
Just as a by the way, I was looking at doing something similar but found knobs with the profile I needed pretty cheap - do a google on 'colonial knobs' or similar or drop in at a restoration supplies place when next you're in the big smoke. PM me if you have no luck with googling.

cedar n silky
9th July 2006, 08:05 PM
Hi, I've got many little identical knobs too make....uno with the little tennon on the end. Not any longer than say 2".

IAnyway, I'm having trouble thinking up a good profile for the knob. Haven't really found anything I like. I was hoping I could download a picture somewhere, print it out, and just transfer it to my blade, and grind up to a line........Bit unromantic, but I haven't much time on this job.

So, anybody got any profiles they like I could use. About 1 and 1/2" to 2" long....doesn't have to be overly complex. Just a nice simple profile.

Thanks, appreciate any feedback.

:)

G/day Apricot tripper.
Did you know you have a proffesional wood turner out your way , up Eden Creek!!(if not let me know and I'll forward his contact details) He could probably make them all for you for reasonable$$, or he is an excellent teacher, and could teach you how to go about it effieciently!
Cheers:D

Bodgy
9th July 2006, 08:31 PM
Jake

Out of interest, what are you going to do with them?

JDarvall
10th July 2006, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the replys.
I went to the shed this morning to give it a go, and see what would happen. I had a few knobs to do for the wife first.

The process seems to be ok. I'm still bit unsure on which profile to choose though.

I just ripped into an old plane blade I didn't like, with my grinders, and tried to make it look fancy. Beads and swells etc. Backed the blade off to a polish, didn't bother burnishing it....and after roughing out I just pushed it straight in slowly, until both ends reached the set diameter (just had a pair of calipers set, one for each end)
See Pictures 1 and 2
Cut out 2 per blank. 4 knobs done, went and showed the misses, and she shook her head ! :eek: said they looked to small and fat.....so, I went back and ground into another plane blade, to try and make a leaner knob, just trying to wing it really.
Picture 3

And thats what she got. I didn't bother asking her what she thought of this profile. Anyway there you go, no more marking out and gouge skids for me ! :o easy way out I guess. I just realised, this is probably how they do it in business eh. Chess pieces, things like that.

Found it important to back off the blade sharp a bit on the 800 grit jap stone before doing each profile, just to keep it cutting nicely, uno. Thats about it I think. I might have missed something. Appreciate any ideas.

JDarvall
10th July 2006, 12:43 AM
rsser..... thanks. I did a google search, but not for colonial knobs. I'll try that after this post.

Hickory.....thanks. No I don't have a screw centre, nor a face plate. I've just got an old Shopsmith that I've setup to turn between centres.....I suspect now anyway, after todays experiments that its safer to duplicate between centres, only because, a fair bit of pressure was required to push a wide blade in.....meaning, I'd fear the stock would want to push of the screw centre if it was only held at one end....if you get my drift.

cedar n silky....Hi mate, your close to home. Yes, he dropped by last year I think. Lovely bloke, but I've forgotten his name :o. Which is a bit rude. Definetly a very clever bloke. Gave me a few good tips. I've got his number written down somewhere. He invited me out to his shed, but I hadn't got around to it. One day.

Rodent....thanks. Looks interesting. I was hoping for many different pictures of profiles to choose from, uno. Something to print out and trace directly to the blade, instead of just trying to make it 'look right'.

Bodgy....haven't seen your posts for a while. Alls well ? . There for my MIL. She doing something artistic in the garden along a fence or something like. I don't really know what shes up to, or want to, to tell you the truth.:D

RETIRED
10th July 2006, 09:04 AM
I just realised, this is probably how they do it in business eh. Chess pieces, things like that.
Yep. It is called a form tool.:)

reeves
10th July 2006, 09:17 AM
dunno mate, i turned a few while back for someones bathroom cabinets, made em out of rosewood about 7 cm wide 2 cm deep with a 3 cm tenon..

did a few tests to make sure they worked ok and the person liked them....
took 2 or 3 until the sizing and shape was just right.....then copied 2 in nice wood...came up a charm..

so i guess u just fiddle with the design tool its ok and tested, that it whack it onto t drawer or whatever make sure its easy to use..

good luck and have fun..

regards
john

RETIRED
10th July 2006, 09:25 AM
Try these.

http://www.vandykes.com/subcategory/254/

http://www.interknobs.com/drawer_pulls.htm

http://www.rejuvenation.com/typepageglass%20knobs/templates/houseparts_group.html?iqg=5f06a584ee12cd9cd9c7edcd22b9c59a

cedar n silky
10th July 2006, 10:20 PM
G/day Apricot tripper.
Did you know you have a proffesional wood turner out your way , up Eden Creek!!(if not let me know and I'll forward his contact details) He could probably make them all for you for reasonable$$, or he is an excellent teacher, and could teach you how to go about it effieciently!
Cheers:D
Hope I didn't insult you, you look like you don't need any help at all!! Making shaping tools and all the rest. It's a grand job youve done, and that's whats so good about this forum, I am learning heaps! Minus 18 at Tenterfeild this morning, and your closer to there than me!!:D

JDarvall
11th July 2006, 09:15 AM
Ta John...and for the links.....appreciate that.

Cedar n Silky .... thanks for the complement. No offense. I like to hear advice on anything, so don't hold back. Always learning uno.

Often, I find, there's little things that I miss all the time. And I'm pretty new to lathe work. I'm just not good enough yet to have cut those knobs freehand.....Thankfully, I've have plenty of practise shaping blades ..

-18 in Tenterfield !....fibber ?!....:D ....Its getting cold alright though. I'm one of those people whose forever complaining about cold feet and hands.

I'm working with a plumber at the moment renovating this old joint in town (more of a bandaid really)....the last couple of days we've had to get to work at 5am to do the plumbing, and my hands are feezing up, and I get clumbsy. Dropping tools all over the place, their so cold. Gave me mate a scare when I dropped my hammer to the ground, off scaffolding 3 levels up... Thankfully nobodys about at that time. :o

Have a good week eh. :)