PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Turning Results

QbnDusty
9th July 2006, 03:27 PM
Hi
A few months back I decided to move into turning Segmented Bowls as a new challenge. The greatest problem was cutting the required angles very accurately on my trusty Triton 2000 but with the help of these forums and other websites I built a sled to achieve the required accuracy.
Attached are pictures of my work so far for comment. The two Bowls are 8.5" diam and the Vase 14.5" tall, all made from Teak and Silver Birch (Beech?).
The left hand one is a standard "Brick" bowl after a design on the internet and is a good starter for this type of turning. The other two are from designs in Ron Hamptons book on segmented turning.

lubbing5cherubs
9th July 2006, 04:12 PM
very nice work. just gorgeous.. triton 2000 is that a table saw??
Toni

dazzler
9th July 2006, 04:20 PM
Top work, love to be able to do that.

cheers

dazzler

dai sensei
9th July 2006, 06:32 PM
Very nice indeed. I especially like the scalloped effect on the last one.

cedar n silky
9th July 2006, 08:50 PM
Real nice work Geoff P.
I'm wishing I hadn't flogged my old Trition at the Tender Centre now!! Something had to go, the shed is getting too full of wood! As long as it's not the lathe and the bandsaw!:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th July 2006, 10:33 PM
Nice work Geoff. On the Triton you say? That's definitely worth a green. :)

very nice work. just gorgeous.. triton 2000 is that a table saw??

Yes. There are some people who'll get their noses put out of joint by my saying so, but they shouldn't be pointing 'em so high. ;)

ss_11000
10th July 2006, 04:37 PM
wow. excellent work geoff

Tassie Boy
10th July 2006, 05:19 PM
Very nice Geoff.
I especially like the vase!!.

Auzzie turner
10th July 2006, 08:23 PM
The vase is perfect, but I think the bowls need more detail. In a way the bowls are a waste of wood, seeing the amount of work that went into segmenting the pieces together.

Regards................Joash

Toasty
10th July 2006, 08:49 PM
Great job, Geoff!

I've want to try segmented turning but have scared myself off by the need of high accuracy with the cutting. I too have a Triton 2000 and hopefully one day I'll man up to making a sled for it to give segmented turning a crack as it does fascinate me.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th July 2006, 01:23 AM
The vase is perfect, but I think the bowls need more detail. In a way the bowls are a waste of wood, seeing the amount of work that went into segmenting the pieces together.

Waste of wood? :eek:

I gotta disagree with that, even if only for the experience Geoff would have gained from 'em. They outclass my first attempts at seg work. :o 'Sides, I rather like 'em just the way they are. :p