PDA

View Full Version : Magic Wand

Donnie
9th July 2006, 08:52 PM
Greetings fellow turners:

My 4 year old niece loves to dress up as a fairy princess, and I would like to make her a "magic wand" to go with the outfit. Rather than turn her a "plain stick", I'd like to fancy it up by adding.... mmm .... that's my problem. What can I do. I'm thinking maybe LED's ??? Glass marble attached to the end?

Anyone have any ideas? (If the thing actually works, I'm going to transform a pumpkin into a new lathe before I give it to my neice.):rolleyes:

Thanks in advance for your help.

bitingmidge
9th July 2006, 09:01 PM
Donnie,
Check out Andy Mac's magic boxes!

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=30877

Cheers

P
:D

Greg Q
9th July 2006, 09:01 PM
Get some 3 mm MDF or similar in the craft section of H.D. or Lowe's, cut it into a star (They may even have pre-cut shapes). Hot melt it to the piece of dowel. The whole thing gets painted pink, and sparkles added while the paint is still wet.

Oh, one other thing....slightly round off the corners of the star first. Don't ask me how I know that's a good idea.

Greg

zenwood
10th July 2006, 12:47 AM
Traditional wands are made from gopher-wood, lignum vitae, or cedar of lebanon; otherwise oak, elder, willow, hazel, or fruit tree. If you take a twig from a live tree, remember to ask the tree first, and thank it afterwards. Soak in an infusion of myrrh, saffron, or tyrian purple (only one, not a mixture). Submerge it at midnight on the first night of a new moon. Take it out on the sixth day following. Finish with oil, and decorate with leather, metal, crystal, or shell, depending on the type of energy you wish to direct.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th July 2006, 02:41 PM
I'd be inclined to go for a more... simplistic approach. Make the basic wand from whatever materials are at hand, leaving it at a constant dia. so it's a bit stronger than the more traditional tapered wand. A short(ish) length of dowel is perfect.

Drill a 4mm hole about 1" deep in one end and glue the two ends of a long pipe-cleaner (I've seen packs of 12"ers in sundry $2 shops) into the hole, then bend it into a suitable star shape.

Believe me, this style has the lowest "Ow!" factor. DAMHIKT. ;)

scooter
10th July 2006, 10:17 PM
Donnie, the wand is for your niece.......? ........ Rrrrrriiiiiiiiiggggghhhhhtttt ;) :p

Cheers.............Sean, keeping mum ;)

soundman
11th July 2006, 10:37 PM
sequins are cheap enough and easily obtainable from dancewear suppliers or bead shops. The bead shops will also have glass beads or cristals of various sizes and prices

Even little girls will know the difference between a cheasy wand with a star on the end and a "real" one.
A nice piece of wood with a shaped handle, polished up with some shellawax & eee, with a one or more proper sparkly bits fixed by devious means.

Pink is also sooo not cool, a nice violet or mauve colour is much more credible.
A pale coloured hardwood soaked in some dye before polishing.

give the little girl some seroius credibility in the play ground.

cheers

Purpleheart
11th July 2006, 11:40 PM
How long do you have to accomplish this task............???

rodent
12th July 2006, 02:36 AM
try thisledflash.gif its 3 components and a battery as simple as it gets
(http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=26263&stc=1&d=1152632114)

Garell
12th July 2006, 03:11 PM
Hi there all

I dont think it is quite what you where looking for but. My 2 girls are Harry Potter fans, so I made them a wand each for Xmas. Pic is below. They love it havent put it down yet.

dont know if it is what ya want.

Regards Jamie