PDA

View Full Version : Buying Router

Greg101
16th February 2000, 12:26 PM
I am looking at buying a new router & have narrowed it down to 2 models (both Makita) they are the same price ($325).
One has a higher watttage rating (1400W i think) & the other has vaiable speed (& lower wattage at 1200watt from memory)
Which one would be the best to go for? Higher wattage or variable speed.
It is for general hooby woodwork (dovetails, template cutting, mouldings etc.....)
Thanks for any clues
Greg

Tom O Donnell
17th February 2000, 10:25 AM
Hi Greg

It seems that you have set your mind on buying a router and are content to purchase a Makita I can assure you that you have a made a good choice I've possess 5 Makita routers.

Make sure that you purchase the 'Plunge' Router with a circular base capable of inserting 40mm template guides.

Model No 3612 or 3612c (Variable speed)

Tom

------------------
TomnJarrah

Rod Smith
17th February 2000, 10:50 PM
Hi Greg
Makita does have a good reputation, I have the 3612c and had the 3600br and they are pretty good. Not as good however as the equivalent Hitachi's. They are similar in power and features, except the Hitachi will last longer, this probably doesn't matter though as both will last a lifetime in hobby use. Makita's attract alot of complaints about plunge action not smooth, both mine also suffered this to some degree, not so the Hitachi's. One thing that I think is really aweful on the Makita's is the plunge scale, it is pathetic, especially when you compare to the Hitachi's the M12V setup is outstanding . I have a TR12 (virtually unkillable) and the M12V. Also, check what accesories are included in the price with the 2 brands, theres a difference, I can't remember what it is. Enjoy your purchase.
Rod

------------------

ubeaut
18th February 2000, 01:46 AM
G'day Greg

I have a Hitachi that has outlasted 2 Mak's and a Ryobi (moment of stupidity and low finances) It has literally done thousands of hours of really hard work and is virtually un stoppable. However, like a few other Hitachi products I have, I find it to be a fair bit noisier than some of the other brands, but you definately can't kill them. Well.... at least I can't. I couldn't speak too highly of Hitachi and would recommend it to anyone. Mine is now 25 years old and basically the same as the new ones they make today.

Cheers
Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Rod Smith
21st February 2000, 08:43 PM
Greg, one thing I didn't mention, if noise is a consideration, the large variable speed jobs (3612C and M12V) are a fair bit quieter than the fixed speed. And just expanding on the point of the longevity of Hitachi's, I witnessed 2 of them used for nearly 20 years under heavy loads every day with no failure (TR12's). A friend told me the place he did his apprenticeship used routers to cut 16mm slots in MDF (multiple sheets in one pass)(gruesome eh?). Not one of the Hitachi TR12's carked it, but they did buy some makita's and they lasted about 3 weeks. Just interesting I thought? See ya. Rod

ubeaut
22nd February 2000, 02:48 PM
Here is an interesting bit of info.

Les Fry from Kato Trading (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/kato.htm) was at the Woodies Swap Meet last Sunday and had their new router with him. It is an exact replica of the Hitachi and I reckon it is made by them. Even has the Hitachi whine in the motor. Major difference is the price. I think it was around $100 cheaper. Somewhere in the vacinity of $250 from memory.

Cheers
Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif