PDA

View Full Version : Router bits

gmb
13th June 2000, 04:02 PM
Can someone suggest (a) a quality brand of bits which do not cost the earth - and where to get them in Melbourne; and (b) given the cost of bits, a list of the 3 or 4 most useful bits to start with.

Rod Smith
13th June 2000, 05:44 PM
Carbatec have sets which a reasonably priced and I find them good quality. You will need to decide how useful the bits in the set are. Much cheaper than buying them individually though. Ring them and they will send you a catalogue. Rod

------------------

RETIRED
13th June 2000, 08:18 PM
Gooday.

You might like to check out Jesada at
http://www.ubeaut.com.au/

and support some of the sponsors.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

Shane Watson
13th June 2000, 08:38 PM
Yeah , I was going to suggest the same thing http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

I have found Jesada's bits to be great. I don't buy any other brand now. They will send you a catalouge if ya email them. Just let them know where ya heard about them!!! I am sure they would love to hear there adverts are working!

Cheers

Shane...

[This message has been edited by Shane Watson (edited 13 June 2000).]

John Saxton
30th June 2000, 11:39 AM
Whatever you decide to purchase in the manner of router bits needs to be determined by the amount you of course wish to spend.
There are a lot of reasonably cheap sets around that are produced in Taiwan and China and these will certainly suit your needs in both the 1/4 and 1/2 inch varieties and have a range of profiles more than sufficient to cater for a beginners needs,Carbatec carry these as well as some of your local hardware shops.The down side of these sets is that they require regular sharpening due to the quality of the tungsten/carbide being employed to produce these but in fairness they are ok if you are not into prodution runs.The better quality bits around such as JESADA,CMT, and CARBITOOL which is an OZ top brand giving a quality tool and better value for your dollar being locally produced.
Because there are a vast number of brands and types it comes down to what you want to spend and where you see yourself going in regards to the field of routing. Good luck with your search.
Cheers

------------------
Johnno

StaySharp
19th January 2006, 03:22 PM
If anyone is after any custom built Router Bits even standard bits
Please Contact
Stay Sharp Tooling Pty, Ltd.
[email protected]
Phone: (02) 9602-5777
Fax: (02) 9602-0181

Zed
19th January 2006, 03:33 PM
Hi,

Hate to be a wet blanket but the cheapo's at bunnies seem to do the trick ok for me - mind you I dont do 100's of metres of routing..... however having said that I have been quite brutal with some of them and it does take a fair while to break 'em

Someone here (Alexs?) once suggested that get the budget box with all sorts of shapes in them from bunnies (for about $40) and the ones that wear out are the ones that YOU need - proceed to then buy them in whatever brand you feel is best.... seems to work for me.

Termite
19th January 2006, 03:34 PM
Staysharp, this thread is 5 1/2 years old, a friendly word of advice:-
don't become a spammer.

StaySharp
19th January 2006, 03:50 PM
Nothing wrong with a bit of friendly spam on an old post, beside just letting people know they dont just have to buy standard cutters they might not be the shape they want

John Saxton
19th January 2006, 06:13 PM
Staysharp, real handy to know you're out there ....moreover if a special profiling bit is required.

I recall someone else from another router bit manufacturing bit enterprise (may have been Carbi-tool) offering the same service.

Cheers:)

doug the slug
19th January 2006, 08:52 PM
Nothing wrong with a bit of friendly spam on an old post, beside just letting people know they dont just have to buy standard cutters they might not be the shape they want

Ok waht sort of pricings for custom made cutters in tct and hss then, i know its a broad question but you probably havea minimim charge for a small bit and theres only so big you can go, an approximate range would sufficehttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

Just George
20th January 2006, 07:37 PM
Ok waht sort of pricings for custom made cutters in tct and hss then, i know its a broad question but you probably havea minimim charge for a small bit and theres only so big you can go, an approximate range would sufficehttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

Yes, shall we say - 1/2 inch shank, cutting depth 30mm and cutting diameter 40mm. This will give you somewhere to start.