PDA

View Full Version : routing

stevenjw
11th June 2000, 12:29 PM
Can anyone help me?
I am a begginer who would like to do some woodworking.For my first project I want to make something simple like a blanket box. what joints are the best ? I have been told dovetail joints are pretty good. Can anyone help me?

------------------

JackoH
12th June 2000, 01:38 PM
Steven. Like you I am new to routing, having just bought a used triton router table with a Ryobi router. I have found 2 books in our local library which are particularly helpful:- Router Jigs & Techniques. by Patrick Spielman. and Projects For The Router. by Casey Chaffin & Nick Engler.
Cheers. John H.

Roger Peine
3rd July 2000, 11:13 AM
Hiya
Talking about good books regarding woodworking / furniture making . Two books which i would recommend http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/cool.gifto any one, regardless of how long you have been working with wood are; "Woodwork in theory and practice" by John A. Walton and; "Encyclopedia of furniture making" by Ernest Joyce .
Both these books cover just about everything that you need to know http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif and, only cost about $30.00 each
coo-ee roj

AlexS
4th July 2000, 09:35 AM
I'd absolutely endorse the recommendation for Joyce's 'Encyclopaedia of Furniture Making'. It's an excellent reference for everyone from mug to expert.

For ideas for boxes, any of Patrick Spielman's books on boxes is worth a look.

good luck.

John Saxton
6th July 2000, 09:09 PM
G'day Steven I have here a few books that I thought I might mention that perhaps you could access through your local Library.
Router Handbook by Patrick Spielman IBSN -0-8069-7776-0
Router Jigs and Techniques by Patrick Spielman IBSN 0-8069-6694-7
Router Projects by Percy W. Blandford ISBN
0-8306-9062-X
Router Projects by Casey Chaffin & Nick Engler IBSN 0-8069-6680-7
ALL of the above are worth while reading particularly the first two if you are starting out with routing.
A few of the videos are listed below which make for good veiwing in the implementation of the router. I have too many to mention so have picked out a cross section of those perhaps suitable in your initial days with routing and these may be possibly accessed thru your library.
Router Joinery with Gary Rogowski
Basic Routing with Roy Sutton(1 of a set of 6).
Router a Beginners Guide with Alan Goodsell.
I hope this is of some help to you.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Johnno

Tom O Donnell
14th July 2000, 09:20 PM
Hi all

Learn how to use your router in the plunge mode to 'Get More From Your Router'. Too much emphasis has been put on the router table to complete "80% of your routing projects". In my opinion you are loosing 80% of yor routers' potential. Take it out of the bench and use it in the 'Plunge' mode to achieve a great variety of projects. My workshop is full of different projects that have been completed in the 'Plunge' mode with the aid of the below bench router.

I run a 'School of routing' and my 'Students' would spend 90% of their time using the router in the plunge mode.

This very evening I visited the local newsagent to see the latest Magazine on Routing and 80% of the articles published were related to the router table.

I have a number of article produced using the plunge mode as the main means of using the router and the 'below bench' is used to trim edges or add mouldings to edges.

The router table is not the position the router should be used in most of the time it is in the plunge mode that you will be able to introduce a greater variety of projects.

Tom

John Saxton
15th July 2000, 12:02 AM
I totally agree with what Tom is saying in that a majority of router users lose a greater portion of their routers versatility by keeping it restricted to a router table usage.
In all cases it is advisable for those new to routing and considering the purchase of a router to thoroughly research their needs for a router to access it's full potential.
Failure to do so only restricts this tool to one function( ie router table ) where otherwise part of it's usage in other facets becomes restricted merely by the thought that it's too much bother to remove from the table and so becomes another liability within the workshop unless you are fortunate to be able to afford a second router to see to all your needs!
I made this mistake in believing that I knew better and now wished that if I had researched my neeeds I would'nt end up with tooling excess to my needs.This was early on in my approach to woodworking and I believe this lesson now holds me in good stead and I access my needs on a more thorough basis.
A good site to check out in the routing field with lots of free downloads is www.trendm.co.uk (http://www.trendm.co.uk)
CHEERS http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/frown.gif

------------------
Johnno

[This message has been edited by John Saxton (edited 14 July 2000).]

tony bell
25th July 2000, 05:50 PM
Try getting hold of the latest Australian Woodsmith mag, June edition. It's got some good stuff on routing, dovetails and a homemade dovetail jig. Good luck