PDA

View Full Version : small job for me - in SE Qld

Clinton1
12th July 2006, 09:08 PM
Would a South East Qld member be able to do a small turning job for me?

I need a front knob for a plane turned, its an odd design and I cannot source a replacement.

I have the original (which I'll need returned) to copy from, and I'd prefer to pay in a piece of 65mm x 65mm x 235mm Huon. I'm hoping you'll have a scrap that is suited as the material, so I don't need to buy something for such a small job.

I don't know if this makes a difference, but the base of the knob will need to be turned so it is concave, as this part 'mates' to a raised, convex portion of the plane.
Original piece is East India Mahogany and I'd be looking for it to be turned in anything that is a) dark, and b) 'tool handle' suited.

Sorry, I can't post a pic - no digi camera.
I only ask for a SEQ member cause I'm really cheap on postage, but it doesn't really matter.:D

Wood Butcher
12th July 2006, 09:14 PM
Clinton, What about sending Reeves a PM, he's only a small drive from you?

Clinton1
12th July 2006, 09:16 PM
That didn't even click - thanks Rowan
- although I'll leave the offer open... who know who I'll bump into :)

Bodgy
12th July 2006, 10:11 PM
Clint

If you get stuck, I'll happily turn if for you. I may need half a cube of stock before I get it right, but I will get there.

Re the colour, I've turned a few knobs for some of my orphan planes. Black stain is pretty good, followed up by Dark mahogany stain and you ger close to rosewood etc which was the original material.