PDA

View Full Version : Router Care

John Saxton
31st January 2001, 10:26 PM
How many of you folk out there that own a Router and also have a car for their use look at their router maintenance?

Consider this;
If your car has a problem with it's mechanics wouldn;t you soon sort it out given that you require it for your use?

Also given the fact that you own a router in your workshop and are using it with numerous profiles and possibly different colletts with
your array of bits that you employ have you considered the wear and tear on the bit shafts,bearings and the stress applied as well as the bearings on the router and it's own bearings with the possibility of wear and tear causing runnout then do you offer yourself time to check out your gear in your workshop or do you wait 'til it gives out?

The reason I go into this is that I was recently visited by MURPHY'S LAW and had to reconcile myself to my own awareness in regards to my machinery under my control.

The Router in my humble opinion is one of the most employed machines in the workshop with numerous changes with spanners and bits sometimes requiring a tap on the collett holding nut to free them that is first and foremost in ones review of maintenance in the home or workshop!!!

Just a little more than my 2c worth

Take Care..Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

oges
1st February 2001, 07:18 PM
anyone know where i can find the dip stick? http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif (probably leaving myself open to being referred to as one now....)

Brett

Harry
1st February 2001, 07:44 PM
I've often wondered if my Makita 3600 router was ever intended to be turned upside down to do its job in its home under my router table. Does anyone know if any portable router was designed with being upside down in mind and if not does it do the router damage?

RETIRED
1st February 2001, 11:11 PM
Gooday.

Most routers were designed to be used right way up. The cooling from the fan blows air over the commutator.

When upside down the fan can't do its job properly because the waste falls into the vents.

However if you have a close fit between the cutter and entrance hole to the table, very little gets in.

Just keep it cleaned out and it should be ok. A friend of mine used a TR12 for 5 years in a home built table and it is still going strong.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

Dave in Cairns
20th February 2001, 04:31 PM
Harry , most of the Makita routers come with a chip deflection plate to be used when fitting the router to a table. This is supposed to deflect chips away from the air intake .

Harry
20th February 2001, 11:29 PM
Cheers Dave

Without going down the shed to see what your talking about I think I know what you mean but was the chip deflector specifically intended to do its job with the router upside down? This is not a big deal really, I,ve had about four years use of my router right way up and upside down although a replacement would put a dint in the Bbalance I have wondered with the advent of the Triton Router Table and other variations of router table setups that require a so called portable router and that it remains stationary upside down then you would think that a router would be designed to be more upside down than right way up. Surely there must be more wear and tear on bearings, gearing etc when the router is upside down?

Sandy Johnston
22nd February 2001, 08:40 AM
If you mount the router in the table with everything set up ready to go, less the router-bit. Then sprinkle some of mums talc around the area of the cutter and vents while the router is on.... can you see where the powder goes? Is if being sucked in the exhaust port? Okay talc is lighter than wood, so try some wood dust out of your collection system and try the same. I have done this with my ryobi 601e and have stripped it down and had no sign of powder or dust anywhere near the exhaust fan nor commutator - clean as a whistle. I have routed through slots on 200mm wide mdf using the table mounted router (no dust extraction to help) and the same results.
When the router-bit is attached this also helps as a blower.

I hope this helps

Regards
Sandy across the ditch