PDA

View Full Version : Gouges - 57 varieties

rsser
17th July 2006, 04:20 PM
Well it's too cold to stand out in the shed, too wet to ride the motorbike and too warm for the drizzle to fall as snow where it counts. So it's wandering around the Web time ;-}

Thought you might be interested in this piece since the forum seems to have taken a tool-making turn:

A personal view of the gouge:
http://www.peterchild.co.uk/info1/sflute.htm

btw the 3/8" Taylor superflute is my 'desert-island' tool. Ground like 'B', it does hogging out, small pig tails and fine pull and shear cuts.

bdar
17th July 2006, 04:43 PM
Gee Ern like me doing a bit of surfing, and I only thought Melbourne had weather for ducks.;) I am at home in a not to sunny Queensland, 3 days off I get and get 3 days rain and no shed time. Thanks for posting the article it was a good read.
Cheers
Darren

rsser
17th July 2006, 05:40 PM
Yep, sun only shines on the boss's time ;-}

My Brissie-based brother is travelling the North on long service leave and is shivering in his jumper in Broome at the moment.

btw, this thread wasn't meant to be an ad, and I have no connection with Henry Taylor or Peter Child co. (wish I did!). But their unbranded Taylor-made 3/8 and 5/8 superflutes look like a good deal.

Edit: The Supertips look like a good idea but feedback from Len Smith who imports the Taylor tools is not favorable.

Cliff Rogers
17th July 2006, 06:30 PM
Mine is the original "classic" HS1 superflute with a grind that is partway between B & E.

rsser
17th July 2006, 07:15 PM
Can you post a pic Cliff and what you use it for and how and what else is in the armoury?

TIA

Cliff Rogers
18th July 2006, 12:05 AM
Yeap. (sorry about the focus)

1. My most used tools for Bowls & Platters.Left to right.
- Henry Taylor 5/8" HS1 Superflute bevel about 60° & swept back wings.
- Robert Sorby 1" Roundnosed scraper with very long wings.
Tips is angled down at about 15°. Bevel at tip is about 70° & sides are about 55°.
- 3/8" square beading ground as a 35°bedan.
- 1/2" scraper cut off & ground to suit the angle on my chusk jaws.

2. Other view, left to right.
- Side view Henry Taylor 5/8" HS1 Superflute.
- Back view Robert Sorby 1" Roundnosed scraper with very long wings.

3. I also have a couple of Crown Superflute knock offs. The flute profile is very simialr to the Henry Taylor & the flute is much longer but the steel doesn't hold its edge as well as the original.

4. Another view.

5. An exploded view of a large mango bowl. The missing part went in 3 different directions, one of them bounced off my forehead on its way to the roof.

I'll get some photos of some of my work & post them tomorrow.

Cliff Rogers
19th July 2006, 10:28 PM
Some pics of what I use them for. (these have been posted before so I'll just post the link)
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=16710&d=1134988984

I have more but they aren't on this computer.

rsser
22nd July 2006, 01:35 PM
Thanks Cliff.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd July 2006, 05:03 PM
Just as a matter of interest, Cliff, what's your opinion of the Sorby scraper?

I bought a smaller version, 3/4" (I think) and found it worked well as a scraper, but for various reasons 'twas reground to a 45° "round-nosed" bedan (don't ask! :rolleyes: ) and, well... it's a dismal failure in that it blunts way too quickly. I suspect the steel quality as I've a P&N skew reprofiled in the same way which stands up well under use.

The Sorby's tip angle has been brought back to about 80°ish, but the wings have stayed the same... it'd lose too much steel bringing it back to orig. specs. [sigh] Pity I've no real use for it in it's original form. :(

On a different note, how'd you manage to turn a match-box? Looks like the real thing! :D

rsser
22nd July 2006, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I'm no fan of Sorby HSS. Got the multi-tip gizmo and a small spindle gouge and they don't keep an edge for long.

Have heard that P&N use Austrian steel. Stands up way better than Sorby in my view. Just a pity they don't polish their gouge flutes.

As for match boxes, it's the contents that's the real challenge. Cunning folk those Queenslanders.

La truciolara
22nd July 2006, 08:28 PM
Well it's too cold to stand out in the shed, too wet to ride the motorbike and too warm for the drizzle to fall as snow where it counts. So it's wandering around the Web time ;-}
Lucky you!
Here it is far too hot, and we, as the rest of most of Europe, have a very unusual dry and hot summer. Water starts lacking... who knows, from some years from now we might be able to plant some of your fantastic trees too...:D . Maybe I should shift from woodturning to aligator farming...
Jokes apart, many thanks for indicating us this very nteresting article.

Cliff Rogers
23rd July 2006, 09:44 PM
Just as a matter of interest, Cliff, what's your opinion of the Sorby scraper?.....
On a different note, how'd you manage to turn a match-box? Looks like the real thing! :D

The Sorby scraper was actually a 1" Skew I found in a clearance sale for $10. I couldn't leave it there at that price but I already 3 Skews so I modified it. :D

Out of all the scrapers I have, it is the one I use the most.
I have a couple of bigger Henry Taylor scrapers that are good but they are very big & I don't pick them up very often.

The matchbox is a trade secret. ;)