PDA

View Full Version : kalantas bowl......

ss_11000
17th July 2006, 04:37 PM
today was the second time all holidays i got to use my lathe:mad: :mad: because of work and sport, but oh well.
yesterday mum and dad were at some markets and got me some wood, this piece of kalantas was one of the peices.

the bowl was really easy to turn and was done on a faceplate. its about 1800x40mm. the only bad thing about it was there was a lot of tearout while turning it ( see fotos ).

finish is 400 grit then shellawax and hut.

any comments etc...

rsser
17th July 2006, 04:42 PM
... You need to post the photos ;-}

ss_11000
17th July 2006, 04:43 PM
that better

Auzzie turner
17th July 2006, 06:01 PM
You should use the bowl gouge and round nose scraper to clean it up. Never turned the wood, but it looks as if its a tearout kind. Need a chuck,

Regards........Joash

rsser
17th July 2006, 06:32 PM
Yes, lot of tear-out on the outside. I'd say you got this either or both by turning from outside in or by taking cuts that were far too agressive.

If you were back there now you could have tried:

* freshly ground scraper cutting at 45 degrees on the rest or even free-hand off the rest

* freshly sharpened bowl gouge in shear scraping mode; again cutting at about 45 degrees with the bottom wing of the flute, from inside out with flute pointing upwards and to the outside of the bowl

* a push cut with your bowl gouge, flute upwards, working from narrow to wide, with your gouge about horizontal ... needs a gentle touch this one

K, lesson over. Time for a beer.

ozwinner
17th July 2006, 06:34 PM

Or corgikal as .925 is still far too young for beer.

Al :p

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th July 2006, 07:01 PM
1800 x 40? :eek:

My eyes must be playing tricks on me... I'd swear the pix show it mounted over the bed. ;)

rsser
17th July 2006, 07:18 PM
Have another beer Skew ... then the visions of beds will prob. improve ;-}

Auzzie turner
17th July 2006, 07:50 PM
I ah think he meant 180 x 40

Tassie Boy
17th July 2006, 08:21 PM
Looks good stirlo!!!
That wood must be of a tearout kind...Or you went psyco with the bowl gouge!!!!! hahaha

Good stuff mate..Cheers

ss_11000
17th July 2006, 08:40 PM
hey guys.

i did mean 180x40 not 1800.;)

rsser, the outside didn't tearout much, just a bit at the top. i used a bowl gouge for this and have used it on other bowls and have had no problems, so i figured i havent changed the way i used it so it must be the wood. same with the inside cept i used a spindle gouge with a light cut and a rn scraper. i compared it to my camphor and silky bowls and not oine of em had tearout but this one and another one i think is kalantas did, so i came to the conclusion of the wood is doing it.

al, what bout ginger beer:p ( thats a non alcoholic beer :p )

joash, i do need a chuck, dont worry, its on my list of things to get ( probably a few of em over the yrs :rolleyes: )

TTIT
17th July 2006, 11:02 PM
Stirlo - practise will lessen the tearout and so will sharper tools - looks like it could be a while since you touched the gouge up a bit;) Persistence is the key - you're getting there.:D

Hickory
18th July 2006, 03:56 AM
Tearout by my from-afar looksee tells me that as seen the lathe picture, If the set-up is unchanged, Then the toolrest is inpart due to the rest being too far from the work, this allows chatter with the tool (especially if dull) and chatter produces tearout. Also appears that the rest is too low, (at least for a correctly set up lathe, & depending on your height) Also a tuneup of the edges is necessary as well.

Also the wood (kalantas) which I believe to be either Phillipine Mahogany or Cedar and should be treated as easy to tearout due to the short fibers. Perhaps up the speed and fine tune the cutting edge.

BTW There is nothing wrong with faceplate turning, Until last year that is all I was able to do (Other than spindle) but I would consider using a sacrifice piece behind the work so the screws hold a scrap piece glued to the real piece. I use brown paper between the two pieces that split off easily while others use hot glue to bond the work piece directly to the faceplate. (I don't trust hot glue)

Nice looking bowl/dish, thanks for the posting.

ss_11000
18th July 2006, 04:22 PM
Tearout by my from-afar looksee tells me that as seen the lathe picture, If the set-up is unchanged, Then the toolrest is inpart due to the rest being too far from the work, this allows chatter with the tool (especially if dull) and chatter produces tearout. Also appears that the rest is too low, (at least for a correctly set up lathe, & depending on your height) Also a tuneup of the edges is necessary as well.

Also the wood (kalantas) which I believe to be either Phillipine Mahogany or Cedar and should be treated as easy to tearout due to the short fibers. Perhaps up the speed and fine tune the cutting edge.

BTW There is nothing wrong with faceplate turning, Until last year that is all I was able to do (Other than spindle) but I would consider using a sacrifice piece behind the work so the screws hold a scrap piece glued to the real piece. I use brown paper between the two pieces that split off easily while others use hot glue to bond the work piece directly to the faceplate. (I don't trust hot glue)

Nice looking bowl/dish, thanks for the posting.

dont know if i trust the glue method but i will see in a few hrs when i turn a piece i've got glued up. i will try the brown paper trick next time, sounds useful.

the tool does need a sharpen, but i did give it a touch up before i started, so it was better, but that didn't last too long ( got to get me a bench grinder)

the tool rest was a bit to far away. i think it was at the right height, the picture was taken at an angle, which make it look lower than centre.

Thanx guys for the advice.

Auzzie turner
18th July 2006, 05:01 PM
Yeah, definately get a grinder, you know one of those really really good quality GMC machines.:D And then when you've got enough of that hard earned dough, get yourself a grinding jig.

Tell us how that glued up piece went,

Regards........Joash:cool:

ss_11000
18th July 2006, 06:31 PM
Yeah, definately get a grinder, you know one of those really really good quality GMC machines.:D And then when you've got enough of that hard earned dough, get yourself a grinding jig.

Tell us how that glued up piece went,

Regards........Joash:cool:

bloody good, thats how it went, fifteen minutes and i'll have fotos up.

http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=180_360_1900_1920

prob gonna get this one one day:cool:

ss_11000
18th July 2006, 09:04 PM
If you were back there now you could have tried:

* freshly sharpened bowl gouge in shear scraping mode; again cutting at about 45 degrees with the bottom wing of the flute, from inside out with flute pointing upwards and to the outside of the bowl

* a push cut with your bowl gouge, flute upwards, working from narrow to wide, with your gouge about horizontal ... needs a gentle touch this one

ern, even though i didn't get tearout on the bowl today, i tried using these two techniques and i thank you for sharing them. they worked quite well.

Tassie Boy
18th July 2006, 10:01 PM
bloody good, thats how it went, fifteen minutes and i'll have fotos up.

How those fotos going Stirlo???:rolleyes:

ss_11000
18th July 2006, 10:02 PM
How those fotos going Stirlo???:rolleyes:

they're up in the ww pics section

"smallest and thinnest bowl i have turned to date"

Tassie Boy
18th July 2006, 10:09 PM
Thanks i didnt see that thread!!!

rsser
18th July 2006, 10:21 PM
ern, even though i didn't get tearout on the bowl today, i tried using these two techniques and i thank you for sharing them. they worked quite well.

Pleasure Stirlo ;-}