PDA

View Full Version : Need Mortise Jig for 240 Mortise Project

barrysumpter
2nd February 2001, 08:25 PM
Hi all,
I building another Lutyens gardenbench and have decided to use loose tenons. This with double my Mortise requirements.

Does anyone have or know when I can find a jig or template that will cut a mortise. I have 3 standard sizes in this project.

I need something cheap, quick, and easy.

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

barrysumpter
10th March 2001, 08:47 AM
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who responded to this query and all the encouragement was great. ;-)

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

Rod Smith
10th March 2001, 11:26 AM
G'day Bazz.
Seeing as no one else has come up with anything. I made a dowell jig that I use with a router and template guide, copied from a Spielman router book. I reckon that a variation on that theme might work. Can you access the book to see what I mean. I'm sure there are mortise jigs in there also. I made my dowell jig to accomodate the thickest wood I am likely to want to dowell and tape on 3 or 4 mm mdf to pack for 19mm. Just as an aside. I use a 3/8 twist drill for dowells that I re shaped to brad point, heaps faster than a router bit for a straight hole. Hope this helps (ease the pain of rejection)
Cheers
Rod

Robert Read
11th March 2001, 03:36 PM
Andrew,

I have only recently started looking at this bulletin board. I remember seeing a fairly sophisticated router jig for haunched mortices in an Australian Woodworker some years ago, but I cannot find the issue.
Anyway a jig to cut mortices with a plunge router is quite simple. The following description is based on a crude jig hanging up in my workshop.
Butt together two pieces of chipboard in an upside-down 'L'. This needs to be exactly square. The edges of the top surface whould be parallel. Use dowels for strength not screws incase of accidents. The work-piece will be clamped together with the jig in a vice with the face to morticed up and level with the top of the L
Screw on a piece of straight scrap at 90 degrees to the top surface. The edge of a stile or the end of a rail will butt against this.
If you are cutting mortices in the rails screw a piece of scrap on the side of the L at or just over the width of a rail from the top edge, and parallel to it. (Use screws to allow for easy modification for future projects).
Screw two pieces of scrap to the horizontal surface of the L as stops for the start and finish of the mortice. Use the usual formula, end of cut plus distance from router bit to router edge.
The router can be guided by using its fence along the outside edge of the workpiece, or along the opposite edge of the L depending on the direction of the cut. Hope this helps.
An alternative method, is to use the router in a table mount and plunge the workpiece onto it while holding it against the fence as shown in the Triton manual. It works but does give some wander at the start of the cut.

------------------

Robert Read
11th March 2001, 04:04 PM
Barry,

Apart from adressing you as Andrew I left one detail out of my previous message. The pieces of wood used as guides on the vertical side of the 'L' must be thinner than the workpiece, or you will not be able to tighten it up in the vice.

------------------

barrysumpter
11th March 2001, 07:29 PM
Hi Rod,
Thanks for the response.

I had not thought of dowling since I got the Triton Biscuit Joiner.

A few questions about doweling.

Is it easier than Mortising or Biscuit joining?

How accurate do you have to be?

Is it faster?

Remember I've got 120 joints to fasten.

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

barrysumpter
11th March 2001, 07:34 PM
Robert,
Thanks for the detailed reply.
Although I lost you on Andrew.

I'm hoping you've got a picture or even a quick and sloppy hand drawing to clarify your detailed description.

Would this be quick? To use on 120 joins/240 mortise?

Thanks again everyone.

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

barrysumpter
11th March 2001, 07:41 PM
Hi all,

Thanks to those who took the bait and made a decent and fair go of suggestions for this over the top project.

I've made a jig from a book which clamps the work piece between two 2x4s. And has a sliding top to fit snuggly against the work piece. The top has a template slot just long enough to fit my longest mortise.

The problem is that its very cumbersom. It takes a few minutes to setup and few more to cut. I was hoping someone could tell me of a jig or machine the would cut standard sized mortise in only a few seconds.

Thanks again everyone,

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

Rod Smith
11th March 2001, 08:46 PM
Hi Barry
Just to make it clear I was talking about a jig similar to my dowelling jig to cut "mortises". Anyway, to answer your questions-: easier than mortising, don't know about biscuitting? More flexible though as to where they can be used. Dowelling needs to be very accurate for good joints, the jig I made took me a while to get it right but it is now quick and accurate. 120 joints will take a while to do no matter what. Loose tenons would be reasonable for speed and good for strength.
Seeya
Rod

Glen Bridger
24th March 2001, 11:19 PM
Hi Barry,
I have e-mailed you a design that I found in a magazine (I couldn't copy the two files to this page). Anyone who would like a copy please just ask and I'll send you a copy.

Cheers,
Glen

oges
26th March 2001, 07:33 PM
Barry, (or is it Andrew? http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif)
Not sure if this is what you are after

<a href="http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip032301wb.html">Self Centreing Router Base for Mortises</a>

Brett

PenRex
12th April 2001, 03:13 PM
I may be on the wrong track, but I made a coffee table that required 72 dowel joints for the top alone. I was at a Craft Fair and found "The Ozzi Multi Jig". It set me back $145 but has paid for itself in the piece of mind it provides me and the precision of the joining.

In the 'features section' of the jig, it says it is ideal for mortising.

The site is at:
http://www.digitalgraphics.com.au/omj/

there's no email facility to contact the designer for further information, but the site is basically a reproduction of the leaflet and details of the uses of the jig.

It does any sized work . . . I find it invaluable now.

------------------
Dear Lord,
May my Woodworking someday aspire
to be as good as my Darts,
and vice-versa. . . .

Rex

[This message has been edited by PenRex (edited 12 April 2001).]

barrysumpter
25th April 2001, 10:18 AM
Hi Everyone,
Thanks heaps for all the help, plans, and recommendations.

After building a few mortising and tennoning jigs and testing them. I've decided to have a go at "The Ozzi Multi Jig".

Contacted the distributor.

Its Auzzi designed and manufactured. (At the moment.) Its won all kinds of awards.

Regrettably, the designer/owner/sole distributor doesn't have a credit card facility so I had to spend more time than I wanted to sorting out a money order.

And just couldn't talk him into any price break. (Man, don't know how that one got away.) After a long, informed, and enjoyable discussion, he told me its really hard for inventors in Aus. No support or help of any kind. And is contemplating manufacturing OS. (What a shame.)

I'll have a go and let you know.

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

[This message has been edited by barrysumpter (edited 25 April 2001).]