PDA

View Full Version : Shouldn't have done that...

Groggy
18th July 2006, 12:14 AM
I had put off getting a lathe because I suspected I'd like it and it would consume most of my time. Well, it seems I was wrong. Purchasing, transporting, cleaning, tweaking, sharpening, setting up a work area, re-arranging the shop and reading a book has taken up my time.

Other than that, the wife, daughter and son are having a ball with it. So when's my blurry turn :(:(:( , let 'em get their own toys.:mad: This is supposed to be fun - right? They use it, I sharpen the pointy bits and clean up the mess - I feel so, so, USED! :eek:

lubbing5cherubs
18th July 2006, 12:26 AM
Oh mate sorry you not getting a turn. YOu have to just push in. It is fun. Take your time and let something come out
Toni

TTIT
18th July 2006, 12:26 AM
Just remind them who's in charge there!!!:mad:

Then ask real nice if you can have a turn next!:o;)

chrisb691
18th July 2006, 07:34 AM
Just remind them who's in charge there!!!:mad:

Then ask real nice if you can have a turn next!:o;)

They already know who's in charge..........they are. :D

Zed
18th July 2006, 07:59 AM
I feel so, so, USED! :eek:

Grog,

that is the definition of husband as I understand it. walking wallet. in your case you also need to supply timber.... perfect excuse for a chainsaw: "well if you three want to keep using the lathe I need to get you timber... you dont expect me to BUY blanks for you ???" matter of fact need a bandsaw too! :D

what sort of lathe and tools ?

Cheers

Iain
18th July 2006, 08:18 AM
Time to wreak revenge, do the washing, cook dinner etc etc, show her who is boss:rolleyes:

Groggy
18th July 2006, 08:44 AM
what sort of lathe and tools ?
An el cheapo MC900 seen here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=34473). The tools are a Chiwanese HSS set I got second hand for $60 (they were also used in the training class)

Bob38S
18th July 2006, 09:18 AM
Sounds like a great time to get one of each for each.
Bob
:D:):D

BobL
18th July 2006, 09:25 AM
Break it and say, "oh it's stuffed, have to get another one", then after a suitable period, "I think I can fix it"!

OGYT
18th July 2006, 09:55 AM
Groggy, that MC900 looks like somebody painted my Chiwanese Grizzly white. Same toolrest, rotating head, gap bed, same entry to clean the pulleys.
I turned on my old Griz for three years, and it did me well. The motor got in the way a time or two when I put on a really badly balanced piece of wood, but I later learned not to do that. :o
Do your best to wear it out! I think you'll find that hard to do.

hughie
18th July 2006, 01:16 PM
Hmmm,

Chiwanese/MC900/Grizzly/Carbatec/Hare n Forbbes/WL20/ whatever

I wonder how many turners have started on this lathe? Its seems every one has had one or has friend who has one.......now thats a good business to be in.....Dont fish, sell fishing lines instead.
Might be a lesson in it for all us would be marketers of wood turned products
hughie

echnidna
18th July 2006, 01:55 PM
I'd think about the perfect revenge,

Why dontcha take up needlework:D

Though if'n they all wannabee woodies theres a wonderful shed n tools waiting for you and the family;)

Auld Bassoon
18th July 2006, 07:13 PM
Time to wreak revenge, do the washing, cook dinner etc etc, show her who is boss:rolleyes:

Steady on Iain!

After all that, one would have to develop a "headache" :eek: :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th July 2006, 10:42 PM
Gazing into my crystal ball... I see... a small midi-lathe in a chrissie stocking.

I see... I see.. it's hard to say... it's either a JET, Delta or Leda... they all look the same to me nowadays and the focus on my xtal ball is on the fritz.

Bloody cheap chaiwanese xtal! :rolleyes:

dazzler
18th July 2006, 10:57 PM
Well what about setting up some time zones.

Kids of an afternoon, dad and mum after 10pm, a bottle of red and starkers!:D

mmmmmmmmm....revolving vibrating machine:)

could do some turning as well

cedar n silky
18th July 2006, 11:01 PM
Hmmm,

Chiwanese/MC900/Grizzly/Carbatec/Hare n Forbbes/WL20/ whatever

I wonder how many turners have started on this lathe? Its seems every one has had one or has friend who has one.......now thats a good business to be in.....Dont fish, sell fishing lines instead.
Might be a lesson in it for all us would be marketers of wood turned products
hughie
I started on a Record pipe lathe (2 hollow pipes were the bed), and it had a bronze bush) Did me alright for a couple of years, but no one seems to mention them on the forum?? Are they that bad??:rolleyes:
Any how, my Vicmarc is my dream machine now!!;)
Cheers