PDA

View Full Version : Extra Curricula Work

lubbing5cherubs
18th July 2006, 12:58 PM
HI this was our day today. My older daughters went to Nannas for a day learning to make curtains. So I said to Caitlyn and Kimberley lets us do something different. They together made a salt and pepper shaker. Kimberley is aged 7, Caitlyn is aged 9. I think they did a great job. None of us have ever made salt and pepper shakers so it was learning all around. Kimmys cracked but still usuable. Whew. The piccys below. But the catch is I think my trouble is just beginning..:D They have had fun.
Caitlyn is the one that you can't see the face. Kimmy is the one look at camera because she needed me to hold her tool and her hands to do it. She was bit afraid. But by the end she was going great guns for her age.
bye Toni

Groggy
18th July 2006, 01:11 PM
They are enjoying themselves, lathes are fun!

Auzzie turner
18th July 2006, 01:49 PM
starting at a good age

Joash

ss_11000
18th July 2006, 04:48 PM
wish i could have starteds at that age.....keep em at it.

Terry B
18th July 2006, 06:16 PM
HI this was our day today. My older daughters went to Nannas for a day learning to make curtains. So I said to Caitlyn and Kimberley lets us do something different. They together made a salt and pepper shaker. Kimberley is aged 7, Caitlyn is aged 9. I think they did a great job. None of us have ever made salt and pepper shakers so it was learning all around. Kimmys cracked but still usuable. Whew. The piccys below. But the catch is I think my trouble is just beginning..:D They have had fun.
Caitlyn is the one that you can't see the face. Kimmy is the one look at camera because she needed me to hold her tool and her hands to do it. She was bit afraid. But by the end she was going great guns for her age.
bye Toni

So how do you appease SWMBO with the woodchip filled clothes now residing in the laundry basket? :) :)

ozwinner
18th July 2006, 06:25 PM
Hate to be a wet blanket and spoil the fun, but, the young lady should wear a hair net when useing the lathe seeing as how the lathe is the same height as her head.

Its not a pretty sight when scalp is ripped off.
Better safe than sorry.

Al :(

lubbing5cherubs
18th July 2006, 06:37 PM
So how do you appease SWMBO with the woodchip filled clothes now residing in the laundry basket? :) :)
I am the SWMBO is the lathe and the washing lady so not a hassle. I am a mum who don't mind my kids getting dirty as long as there learning..LOL.. Fun and time as a family is more important to me than keeping things clean.. They are growing up on me to fast as it is.

bye Toni

lubbing5cherubs
18th July 2006, 06:39 PM
Hate to be a wet blanket and spoil the fun, but, the young lady should wear a hair net when useing the lathe seeing as how the lathe is the same height as her head.

Its not a pretty sight when scalp is ripped off.
Better safe than sorry.

Al :(

What is a hair net?
Toni

ss_11000
18th July 2006, 06:41 PM
What is a hair net?
Toni
something you put over your hair and it holds it up so its not hanging down and flying everywhere. people have to where them if they have long hair and work with foods, machinery etc.

ozwinner
18th July 2006, 06:43 PM
http://images.google.com.au/images?q=hair+net&hl=en

For the sake of a few cents, it could save a life time of missery.

Al :)

Groggy
18th July 2006, 06:45 PM

Al :)Luckily I can get by with a short bit of sticky tape...:o

lubbing5cherubs
18th July 2006, 08:08 PM

Ok thanks Al, We did have a safety talk but never crossed my mind her hair. I will ensure it tied back thanks for that. I appreciate it very much. She is too precious to allow anything to happen to that is why they had safety glasses on.
bye TOni

ozwinner
18th July 2006, 08:14 PM
Good onya Toni.
The youngens look to be haveing fun, lets keep, it that way..

Tassie Boy
18th July 2006, 08:58 PM
Well done Toni... Get them started a t a young age and keep them at it!!
Turnign is great fun..
Good effort

TTIT
18th July 2006, 11:54 PM
Good to see the whole family getting into it together! - and a damned nice set of S&P's too:D I wish my kids were interested but the boys just look at what I make, shrug, and say "Just a piece of wood!". Real encouraging :(. Hopefully the grandson will get into it later.:)

Terry B
19th July 2006, 11:59 AM
I am the SWMBO is the lathe and the washing lady so not a hassle. I am a mum who don't mind my kids getting dirty as long as there learning..LOL.. Fun and time as a family is more important to me than keeping things clean.. They are growing up on me to fast as it is.

bye Toni

Sorry for the assumption. Washing is a joint effort for us. As a dad I would love my kids to try turning and will get them to do some when I get more competent myself.

lubbing5cherubs
19th July 2006, 01:31 PM
No probs ..Terry no offence taken. I thought it was funny. As for the washing well We are pretty much a family affair washing here too though. I have 5 kids and we all together keep it up. Even my eldest are pretty competent with the washer. Actually at the moment they are doing it for pocket money So I am not argueing.

Terry I am only learning too. I got my lathe in April. Together we are having fun. Amy actually taught me something I never thought of. It cool.
Toni

DanP
19th July 2006, 02:42 PM
Toni,

Great to see the kids getting involved.

I will, however, second what Al said. Long hair should always be tied back so that it can't get anywhere near moving machinery parts, not just on the lathe. I have personally seen somone remove a 50c piece size bit of their scalp and it bled a lot and was very unsightly when it finally healed. Not to mention the pain. Loose clothing is the same. Tuck in shirts if they dangle and long loose sleeves can be restrained with a rubber band. Better to not wear clothing that is too loose or the cuffs on your sleeves undone.

Not having a go at you, most people don't consider these things when starting out.

Dan

lubbing5cherubs
19th July 2006, 03:27 PM
. Loose clothing is the same. Tuck in shirts if they dangle and long loose sleeves can be restrained with a rubber band. Better to not wear clothing that is too loose or the cuffs on your sleeves undone.

Dan

HI Dan, Yes I did think of loose clothing and I made them all go and get shirts on with cuffs. I did think of that one thanks.
Toni

lubbing5cherubs
20th July 2006, 04:43 PM
This is Amy turn on the lathe She made a vase. Zoe turn is still coming. the lathe may need a doctor. Hubby going to have a look after work. I hope it something simple. The tailstock gone really slack so here Amy anyway
TOni
PS like our version of hair nets. I had them in the house..>

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th July 2006, 06:08 PM
Toni, look beneath the bed at the bottom of the tailstock. Roll the lathe onto it's back if it's easier. (I love the little Leda lathes! ;) )

There'll be a nylock nut & thread under there, the problem's probably just the nut has worked a bit loose. It should only take a fraction of a turn to get things working properly again. Be warned; it's fiddly... bit too much and the tailstock's too hard to move, not quite enough and it'll be too loose.

Love the hair-nets BTW. :D

lubbing5cherubs
20th July 2006, 06:50 PM
There'll be a nylock nut & thread under there, the problem's probably just the nut has worked a bit loose. It should only take a fraction of a turn to get things working properly again. Be warned; it's fiddly... bit too much and the tailstock's too hard to move, not quite enough and it'll be too loose.

Love the hair-nets BTW. :D

Hi Skew, I wish it was that simple for some reason inside the tail stock when we pulled her down it full of metal files. The back for some reason has nearly worn through. We got on Jim and sent him a photo and he is going to look after us. I love my little girl too (the leda) she is being good to me this is just a minor hitch. Should I been oiling in there or is it something I may of done. I hope not.
bye Toni

ozwinner
20th July 2006, 07:39 PM
Good onya Toni for the hair restraint, your youngens will appreciate it, maybe not now, but later on in life.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th July 2006, 09:32 PM
Should I been oiling in there or is it something I may of done. I hope not.

Sorry to hear that! Jim'll see you right, although I imagine the freight's gonna be a pain. :(

I doubt it's your fault; there's nothing there to oil, beyond the occasional squirt of WD40 and steel wool on the bed to keep it shiny clean. I like to give a squirt to the working parts of the tailstock every now'n'again but it's hardly a necessity... 'tis just 'cos I feel like I should be doing something to pamper my litttle one. :rolleyes:

lubbing5cherubs
20th July 2006, 09:48 PM
Yeah I know Jim will see me right. He looked after me real good to this stage and i don't doubt for a second that will change
Toni

rodent
25th July 2006, 02:18 AM
WE have been teaching my freinds daughter to turn 14 and she tucks her hair under a cap she also steals my turning smock so i get dirty instead .PS she loves it because its dirty go figure.

cedar n silky
25th July 2006, 08:54 AM
This is Amy turn on the lathe She made a vase. Zoe turn is still coming. the lathe may need a doctor. Hubby going to have a look after work. I hope it something simple. The tailstock gone really slack so here Amy anyway
TOni
PS like our version of hair nets. I had them in the house..>
Hi Toni. Lovely little vase Amy has turned there!:) And good to see the hair net. I went to Teck years ago doing my chippy's trade, and the walls were covered in photos of machinery accidents, just to remind us about things like hair nets and loose clothing. I'd also like to say, and I don't know if you misunderstood a previous writer, but if you can avoid cuffs altogether it is even better (otherwise an elastic to pull the cuffs in tight.!) See in Amys first photo the cuffs are pretty loose, and could get caught in between the work and tool rest, or any part of the lathe that is revolving. I'm a grandparent now, and my 2 yearold grandson is already "obsessed" with tools!! So I'm trying to be safe myself for when he starts turning.:D