PDA

View Full Version : Template guide survey

Tom O Donnell
15th May 2001, 10:28 AM
For your interest.

The result of the template guide survey conducted shows that very few router users use the template guides especially the 40mm guide. (1)The 40mm guide is not available for all routers. (2)Too much time is spent making the jigs and templates. (3)There is not enough information available on how they are used. (4)It is too difficult to calculate the off-set when making the templates and Jigs. (5) A great pecentage used the router in the table only.
Thanks to all who responded.

Tom

------------------
TomnJarrah

Shane Watson
15th May 2001, 11:27 AM
Well I gotta say that result was as predicatable as Sharna getting voted out of the Big Brother House on Sunday.. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif

Seriously though, thanks for sharing the results.

Today though it is much easier to use a template router bit when using templates. You know the straight cutter with a ball bearing on top or at the base. That way there is no confussion when it comes to making the template. The finished size is what you make. No time wasting calculations/measuring to deal with. IMHO.

Cheers....

------------------
Shane Watson..

Combine Love & Skill & You Can Expect A Masterpiece!

Tom O Donnell
16th May 2001, 10:31 AM
Thanks Shane for your reply

"Combine Love and skill and you can expect a masterpice"

Good piece of advice.
You say it is much easier to use a 'template router bit' when using templates. I assume you are referring to the 'Flush Trim bit' and the 'Inverted flush trimming bit' as advertised in the Carb-I-Tool Catalogue. These I have used extensively for a number of years for trimming with the aid of a template.

I think we are talking at cross purposes here. I am not just routing the same size as the template It could be said I have taken your motto, quoted above, and created masterpieces. This can only be achieved with the aid of the template guides and 'Wasting time with the calculation' as you call it.

I can asure you that if you have not taken time to understand how the template guides are used more effectively then Shane you are missing out on a great deal of your router's potential.

I will gladly send some photographs if you wish of the type of material I refer to and in no circumstances could it be done with the 'Flush Trimming Bit'

This invitation to see some of the material is open to anyone who may read this posting. Just email me for a copy as this is the only way I can explain what I am saying. "A photograph is worth a thousand words"

If you do not use the template guides then you are missing out on 50% of your router's potential

Cheers

Tom

Shane Watson
17th May 2001, 11:39 AM
Actually its not Flush Trim Bits I was referring to, was infact a Pattern Bit as advertised in the Jesada catttledog. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

When I was referring to using this technique of following templates using a pattern bit, was merly a suggestion of one of the more easy alternatives to using a guide ( thus eliminating the neccessary calculations for this task etc ) I never insinuated that a pattern bit or even a flush trim bit could do all the tasks a guide can. So talking Cross purposes - no I dont think so. As you would no doubt relate, most router users have no idea of the uses that the guides can be used for, I mean your posts heading 'Template Guide Survey' and indeed there own name 'Template Guide' in themself promote the idea that all they can do is follow a template, wheras this is untrue. Jigs etc can give this tool a whole range of uses. Which your work obviously promotes.

Surly yes I am not utilising my router to its full potential, but then I have no need to. Infact for my work I use the router to 100% of its potential and more, but this is in direct relationship to the work I do, not to the true extent of the tools capabilities. But then this could be said for just about every tool that I own. I know I definitly don't use my tablesaw to it full capability nor my bandsaw, compound mitre saw, jigsaw, drillpress, spindle moulder, thicknesser/planer, jointer, etc etc etc etc & definitly not my lathe! http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif. Who could honestly say they use each of there tools to there full potential, obviously yes some could, but most, I doubt it.

I, as I am sure most on this board would, would love to see some pics of your work to help us more understand your points. Maybe you could post some pics here for us all to view. Its not that hard to setup. For example:

http://gatherround.com/j/View?File=viewpic.html&u=182500&a=202548&p=1000000000003335108&Sequence=1

If you need help, email me, thats what I am here for.

My Motto, I would hope, would give all woodworkers, no matter of there skill level, the understanding that they can create masterpieces. Any skilled bozo can create somthing, but creating it with love makes it a masterpiece and thats where beginners etc often have it over the higher skilled. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif

Cheers!

------------------
Shane Watson..

[This message has been edited by Shane Watson (edited 17 May 2001).]

Tom O Donnell
18th May 2001, 11:13 AM
Thanks Shane for your posting.

Flush Trim bits / Pattern bits I must apologise as it was not until I had posted the material that I noticed that you were one of the moderators, nd obviously have great skill with the router. Quite evident from the pic sibmitted. Reminds me of my cabinet making days.(now retired)That was some of the material I used to produce not so much in solid material all over.

You have also agreed that the template guide is not a popular accessory that is used, what I am trying to do is educate the router users (not the Trade) to 'Get More From Their Router'. I have conducted router Workshops in Australia Perth and Adelaide and it is very evident that the template guide is seldom used.

The terminology Jig or Template has been on my mind for some time. I have written all my material calling them JIGS, for the template guide to follow, as I was thinking that a template would give a conetation as something to follow with a trimming / pattern Bit, and therefore cause confusion. I would appreciate your interpretation as to what you consider what is what before I make any changes to my material. If you would like to view a sample of what I am doing I will email it to you in PowerPoint Presentation for your comments.

Yes I would like a lesson on how to submit pics for all to view to explain my point of view.

Thank you once more for you co-operation.

Tom

------------------
TomnJarrah

Shane Watson
19th May 2001, 01:00 PM
Tom, you raise some interesting points there.

Lets see, Jig vs template. Terminology is sure to be different to all. You now the theory, ask ten different people and you will likly get ten different answers. But I have always associated a template as something used to guide the cutting tool around the stock to be cut. And a jig as somthing used to hold & guide the stock around the cutting tool. Kinda confussing I suppose and I am probably wrong, but thats how I have always differentiated the two. I just reread all that, and it don't make much sense to me. So let me try and provide examples. A jig would be needed to hold say a curved rail while the end is jointed, without a jig this would be a very dangerous almost impossible task. A template would be needed to shape chair legs by simply attaching the template to the stock and running the router around it using a pattern bit or guide. Make sense now??? http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/confused.gif Probably not.. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif But I don't think I would advise changing your material just on my thoughts. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif

A lot of professionals problems in educating the public can be traced back to incorrect terminology. In my trade I get majorily annouyed at the way the term Restoration is used. It is totally misused by the media ( lifestyle programs ) and indeed the vast majority of antique dealers who insist that after a quick wipe of somthing to make it shiney for a week is classed as restoration. Not so, that really dosn't even come under the term rejuvination, but nether the less. I always use this line to clients who can't understand why it costs so much to 'restore' there furniture when they believe it should only take an hour. and that is " If you were restoring an antique/vintage car, you wouldn't just give the paint work a good polish and leave the job there and then call it a restored car would you " After thinking about that they soon come to realise theres more to it. I better stop now, this subject really gets me going..... http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/mad.gif

I will email you about posting pics. As I really want to see them and I am sure posted here somewhere with your explanations of techniques used etc would really interest a lot of people. So keep an eye out over the weekend sometime and we'll see what we can come up with.

Cheers

------------------
Shane Watson..

Tom O Donnell
25th May 2001, 09:56 AM
Hi Shane
Thanks for your explaination I will have to give the terminology some more thought before I go off writing about the material.
As from the first on June I will be away on Holiday for eight weeks returning to scotland to see the family and there is no room for a template guide never mind a router in my suitcase.

See you all when I get back refreshed.

Tom

------------------
TomnJarrah